View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 01:46 PM

SJ is off the scale

maybe some day:

I have family in various parts of Europe. My wife's family lives on the border with Kaliningrad, Lithuania, and Belarus.

There is money in the consumer field, but it's not on the same widespread scope as North America. It's a very select group of people that are involved in legitimate and illegitimate business that can afford these luxuries. The report says that they hope to sell 400 units in Russia - OK, this seems realistic, so maybe GM is doing this venture for brand esteem and to get a foot-hold in Europe in preparation for the H3?

I saw 1 H1 and 1 H2 in Europe and it's most likely that the owners are mafia or politicians - based on where they were parked and the area. Highly successful business people have money, but they don't constitute much of a market for GM to try to sell these gas guzzlers in nations where gas/petrol runs about $3.50 to $4.75 per gallon.

The two things Kaliningrad have going for it as an assembly site is access to the Baltic Sea and Favorable Trade Conditions due to its zone established by Russia. The report still seems very speculative, as if GM is just testing the waters.

I wouldn't drive a H2 in Kaliningrad, Warsaw, Prague, Moscow, or Budapest for any amount of money you paid me. Too much traffic, high cost of gas, and the threat that mobsters will take your car in broad daylight [you're lucky if they don't shoot you].

Interesting Report No Less!
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png