View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 05:51 AM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stock 4x4 comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfox
Just a quick note on approach, breakover and depature on the H2. The approach is one of the best on any stock vehicle...ever as is the departure. Both the breakover and the departure are better than an H1's

S

its the best if one considers the H1 absent (approach), is it not? And that is what i was trying to get at. If the approach angle of the H2 is challenged most other stock trucks are going to have some serious problems. Often it seems on hills or ridges steep enough to make the H2 sweat, a pickup and the like ... can't even try, just wedge the nose and go home.

I think about things like LRs and the G and i just always wind up at that - if my H2 stubs its nose (and it does), these guys are just plain hosed.

The breakover angle ... well that's really cool that its so good relative to other stocks, but typically when i have a problem it involves getting hung up on a ridge.

Another aspect of the H2s design that i really appreciate in my offroading time is the smooth, clean underbody. The skid and that tube frame lead to a main frame that can drag its heart out (except for those tensioning bolts). Contrast the Rubicon which has a sort of forward-scoop shaped underbody skid plate that just looks destined to pack full of sand and gravel and dirt and snow and mud. Or the H3 which has those low-hanging cross members in the mid-section.

Then there's the H1 with IDS in all corners, and an extremely high and smooth underbody.

skipping long blathering mumbo jumbo, it simply seems to me that offroad situations are so varied that no one vehicle could ever be "best". All of width, weight, IDS-vs-solid axles, TCS-vs-lockers and whatever else seem to have both pros and cons, each an advantage or a disadvantage depending upon the situation. That noted i do realize that (i think) wisha originally posted a rock crawling rating...

Last edited by 31_bandits : 07-22-2006 at 05:55 AM.