View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 02:10 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Shocks and trailering

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor2ride
First, are you using a weight distribution hitch? Second, I too do not have the factory air system but I installed an aftermarket air bag system. It was cheap and works great for what it is.
Sorry ,but I dont have any experience with the rancho shocks.
No, he's not.

Shocks are not your first concern. You need to consider how you are going to handle the tongue weight of the trailer. Since you do not have air there are a few options. A weight distributing hitch is an option as it will (if properly set) keep the vehicle ride height even. Second you could do some secondary or even primary air bag systems that replace the coils such as the ones Firestone make. Thirdly you could add air shocks that work off a compressor to add additonal carrying capacity on an as needed basis but operate as a normal shock.

Aside from option 3, the shocks will just change your vehicle ride characteristics. They may change the height at which your truck will sit when sitting still but that's simply an aesthetic concern if you're accomodating the functional concerns.

Lastly, if you going to pull much, dump the H2 and buy one with rear air. Truly makes all the difference in the world.