View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rubicon Run - 2006!!!

I've been spending the whole day with my mind running around trying to sort out the whole Rubicon trip. It went so fast, and was such a blur, I figured I'd use the keyboard to help me out. I still can't believe it took 3 days to run it, and looking back, it would have been nice if we had planned for 4 days, maybe it would have helped us all soak it in better (of course, just my opinion. I think we left the hotel in Auburn at about 6:30/7am and arrived at the gas station in Georgetown so everyone could fill up and empty their bladders... We drove the windy two-lane highway around until we hit Loon Lake and then the trail head. Bebe's was nice enough to distribute the wag bags and also oil spill kits and flares...all located in a little shack at the trail head. After everyone aired down, we headed off...of course, with Drty in the lead. After running through gatekeeper on my stock tires at 20psi, Bebe's recommended that I drop to 18psi. Definately a BIG difference, the tires gripped a lot better at 18psi. Thanks Bebe's!!!
Gatekeeper was a blast, and I felt that it wasn't really all that bad. I think Drty's buddy showed up around that time with his built-up rig...that was sweet! We then hit the granite slabs/bowl which really reminded me of moab. Just big slabs of rocks and steps to climb up...Drty graciously did some "trail clean-up" while traveling the trail. After the slabs, some moderate obstacles, and then Walker Hill. Walker Hill/Rock was a more difficult obstacle...if I remember correctly. That included the big squeeze, and Sewie took some damage to his front passenger door after picking a bad line. On that same hill, we already had another group catching up to us, and as we were navigating the hill...there were a lot of pics and video taken by the onlookers. I think a lot of them couldn't believe that we were all actually on the trail... After finishing that, we setup camp right before the Little Sluice and Spider Lake at about 6-7pm. Is that about right for the first day? Rox made some GREAT kebabs! and Finally's wife had some GREAT asian salad! Thanks again for the great food ladies!

'03 H2

Last edited by dochummer : 10-11-2006 at 07:10 AM.