View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

cdmintmi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Brake pads do it yourself?

I did mine a while back around 65K or so. Ive always been taught to have the rotors turned to max the life of pads, but if they look good should be ok. I also have a buddy that will turn all four for 20 bucks though. I took the calipers off, and it was a sinch. Im pretty sure you wheel your 3 and if you take the rotors off just make sure you use some blue loctite on the caliper bolts when you reinstall. I didnt and shook one loose on some back road in Louisianna around 11 pm. Had to have a freind tow me back to the hotel and wait two days for a 6 dollar part becuase everytime I hit the brakes the caliper would slam into the inside of the wheel. No harm done though, I figured it out pretty quick. I did find however that my rotors would not just pull off. Even tried to tap them out, but they would budge. Nifty find was that theres two threaded holes in the rotor, dont know the size but I just happened to have two screws that fit and was able to tighten them slowly and pop the rotors loose. All in all its a typical brake job just like any others Ive done, nothing you cant handle
06 H3, Boulder Grey (somtimes/mostly just mud, color of mud varies), Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's, Westin chrome nerf bar, chrome brush guard, Chrome kit, chrome roof bars, navigation, XM,
brush gaurd lights. Want: 4" or 6" lift, rock rails to replace the steps, roof rack w/lights, want a rack above the spare on rear door, custom seat covers...should be done then but I doubt it