View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 01:57 AM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

The crappy light pattern is due to bad reflector and glass pattern designs. Blame the DOT and SAE for using a 1950's era spec in the 21st Century. No matter which bulb someone uses, bad light patterns plus more light output equals a crappy light pattern.

I've seen good quality reflectors (I love Hellas because they work great, and have excellent light positioning and patterns) work very well with retro kits. The Vision Plus (DOT/SAE Spec) is nice, but the E-Code spec is killer with a decently built retro kit - as long as the bulbs are within the 5800 to 6200k range.

As for the new laws - it's mainly to help reduce glare complaints. Again, if the headlights were decently done, it didn't matter what bulb was in it. Pattern and light aiming is the key - not the bulb. But then, the politicians always know what's best for us anyways....right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kodiakz:
Projectors produce a far better light pattern than do any of the retro kits (I have personally sold and installed many of both and sell the exact kit referenced above). The retro kit is a huge leap over the oem flashlights, but tends to give an 'everywhere' or sloppy light refraction pattern and wastes a good portion of what is produced. Projectors do just that--project the light exactly where needed while not blinding oncoming traffic. If you want bang for the buck, do the retro kit, but if you want the best possible lighting solution to date, nothing beats true projection HID (for driving anyway--I am sure there are some dirivng around with 50 bazillion candlepower light bars!!).

However, I do believe that many states and the federal dot have recently passed laws making it illegal to put HID's on any vehicle that did not come from the factory with them. All the dealers that were selling kits in the US closed or moved up north of the border (at least the ones we dealt with). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>