Thread: FJ in action
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FJ in action

Ok, this is really coming as an extention of the "If you drive an FJ, you might be a sissy" thread:

I have indeed wheeled with an FJ. Here are the videos:
http://media.putfile.com/FJ1
http://media.putfile.com/FJ2
http://media.putfile.com/FJ3

Now, I'm being as objective as possible from what I've observed. I think, in the hands of a good operator, the FJ would equal an H3 with an equally good operator.

However, in the hands of a novice, the FJ and Wrangler do fare more poorly than the H3. The H3 (any Hummer actually) has an ability to make a novice driver into a somewhat skilled operator. I do not know if it is the traction systems, the feeling of being behind the wheel of a "Hummer", or simply the entire vehicle systems operating together. Having followed Wranglers (most raised, and otherwise modded) for two weekends now, and FJ's for one, the amount of damage and difficulty incurred by novice drivers is much higher in both vehicles than in any Hummer. However, with a skilled operator, the Wrangler is MORE capable at a location such as Paragon, due to the width of a Hummer, the length of the wheelbase, and the proximity of trees. A Hummer has a more difficult time because it has to take a more difficult line. So at a place like Paragon, a Wrangler is more.... eh, not capable, but has more room to pick an easier line, or avoid the more difficult section of the advanced trails. The Hummer has very little choice, as there is usually a factor that forces it to choose the only available line (like trees, cliffs, etc.) And when I say Wrangler, I mean one that you can still drive home legally and comfortably at the end of the day. No trailering.

Now in comparision to the FJ, I had that yellow one above following me at Paragon. It was noisy as hell to start with, more so than the H1, and sounded like a horrible go-kart, and not the nice rumble of a diesel. But I think that if a skilled driver had been in the vehicle, it would have been just fine. The guy in that one didn't even take the steps off, so I suppose that would tell us something about his experience off-highway.

I'd still take the H3, merely for the 4 doors and, IMHO, good looks. I would NOT choose a Wrangler. Even those that were moderately lifted with bigger tires and whatnot struggled where I did not, took a beating, and were a lot more tippy. The reason some Wranglers performed so well, IMHO, is in direct relation to three factors:

1. Width, wheelbase, and ability to avoid the difficult line.
2. Driver experience.
3. Less concern for the preservation of sheet metal and vehicle operability.

I still would like more experience with some stock FJ's on the trail operating alongside stock H3's. I still believe, from what little I've seen, that they would be a fair match. I could make a determination only after such a comparison, which I think has yet to occur with any members on this forum.

Last edited by BlueHUMMERH2 : 10-17-2006 at 06:59 PM.