View Single Post
Old 06-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Info on fender flares...for those interested

Well, finally here are photos of the black wheels I bought as related to my previous inquiries on the subject. The wheels are Granite GA9s from Tire Rack. They are not perfect replacements for the stock wheels as the offset is different (the tires extended 2" past the fenders upon installation). Tire Rack was unaware of this and did offer to accept a return on of the wheels as the setup technically was not legal by PA DOT inspection standards. However, I bought the E&G Classics Flare kit and voila - the wheels stayed.

As for the flare kit - well, I like the product for the most part but the service from E&G Classics has been shaky. The first kit showed up through DHL as an open box (it looked like the end flap had never been there upon shipping) and sure enough, there was a missing fender flare piece. After contacting the retailer in California (despite the fact that E&G sits in Maryland - the next state south from me) and having to threaten a formal consumer action after E&G Classics initially refused to send the part upon dealer request - they did. It arrived and I installed accordingly. It was only after installation that I noticed one of the fender flares has a discoloration in it - like it was stressed during molding (I used to work with plastics - I know the signs of improper molding stresses). I am now awaiting a response from E&G Classics after having sent photos of the problem to them via email this past Monday. I guess their response will dictate my ultimate evaluation of their service and product... At the least, demand shipping insurance confirmation and inspect the parcel before accepting shipments from the companies involved. In the close-up photos of the stress mark, the ebony spot on the stress mark in the flare is where I attempted a concealment with colored wax.

I forgot to originally mention that the mud flaps also are part of the kit and are molded to streamline into the fender flares.

$122 each for the wheels (and yes - the spare matches). $427 for a somewhat troubled fender flare kit. Having the baddest looking H3 in town during a fuel crisis to boot - Priceless!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H3 A.jpg (120.2 KB, 410 views)
File Type: jpg H3 B.jpg (138.9 KB, 386 views)
File Type: jpg H3 C.jpg (158.5 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg H3 D.jpg (91.6 KB, 372 views)
File Type: jpg H3 E.jpg (144.6 KB, 381 views)
File Type: jpg E&G Flare Defect 1.JPG (65.5 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg E&G Flare Defect 2.JPG (54.7 KB, 386 views)

Last edited by H3.007 : 06-05-2008 at 01:27 PM.