View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: my 3 might be leaving me

You have to do what's good for you! If I was staying in Alaska, I'd keep the Hummer. As for BMWs, I've owned three and currently have an M5 that I love like a third son. BMWs are VERY EXPENSIVE to maintain. Some parts can only be obtained from a BMW dealer and I get them online from a dealer that ships to save coin.
Some downfalls to used BMWs are the clutch, the CATS and O2 sensors, the VANOs (if you go with a VANOS engine), the windshield (outrageously expensive 1400 on a 3 series and around 1700 on a 5 series), the brakes, and the i-drive system. The hedgehog was particularly troublesome on my E36 (there's tons written about this on BMW forums on the Internet - also known as the FSU)and is a very common problem on the 3 and 5 series and you would hate to be without heat in Alaska and most owners keep a spare one in the glove box. With that being said, there is nothing like a winding road in a BMW on a sunny day. The perfect combination to me is a Hummer and BMW, (an older Corvette too). With that being said, once you drive a BMW particularly an M series or a 3 series manual, you will never want to drive anything else.

Last edited by HummerJim : 04-25-2010 at 02:35 PM.