Thread: diesel
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyrebel
First let me state that my son is a Diesel Mechanic and I am in the automobile business as well . He does Emission checks on diesels and all they use is an opacity meter 12 inches above the stack at 1400 rpm .If some light passes through its a go. In 2007 all diesels must have catalytic converters, watch them plug up and get blown out or discarded. Naturally when your in your Diesel you don't notice soot and smell cause its behind you for everyone else to breathe. But I guess that is the philosophy of the me generation ,as long as I'm saving a buck to hell with everybody else. And I guess you don't understand that in the cracking process you can get more than 50 gallons of gas from a barrel of crud whereas with unrefined diesel your lucky to get 35 0r 40 gallons. So the mileage thing is a draw if the taxes were equal.

I'm glad to see that you immediately pulled your original reply to Mac and toned it down some, but take it easy. Mac is very correct about new diesel technology, particularly in Europe, where there is a different, cleaner burning fuel technology as well. And not all diesels are horribly dirty. My father drove a Dodge pickup powered by a Cummins turbo diesel (an outstanding, bulletproof engine) for a number of years. There were no choking clouds of black soot spewing out from his exhaust. And being born in 1924, living through the great depression, and serving in WW2, my father, now 82 and a diesel advocate, is certainly not a member of the "me" generation.

I find it rather ironic that you, driving a vehicle that gets around 16 mph, is preaching about vehicle emissions and efficiency. Why don't you do the responsible thing and by a vehicle that gets 32 mpg and produces exactly half the emissions of your H3? Instead, you drive down the highway "spewing" twice the carcinogens and greenhouse gasses than you need to, while wagging your finger at others. I don't find your arguent to be very credible from an environmental standpoint. Perhaps take another tack. Name:  shut up.gif
Views: 402
Size:  7.0 KB