View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

twinmill28 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: h2 feeling a bit sluggish when towing, what are my options to increase torque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [__--MUD--__]
The alternator is whats going to be turning harder now while the fans are on...its not just free electricity. It takes the same x amount of energy to cool the motor down direct mechanically or electrically. We are not talking about gaining extra cooling capacity here, just freeing up extra power...Guess its going to come down to how often the fans are actually running.
I'd really love to see some dyno numbers on alot of this ****.
What? The alternator is turning harder?
The alternator load on the engine will be the same regardless of adding accessories that draw more power, just in bigger power draw cases like stereo amplifiers or winches it may not be able to provide all the power that is needed. An alternator does not have a clutch on it like an a/c compressor, which can load up the engine a little more when it engages. So, no, not extra cooling capacity--but slightly less load on the engine=more power, possibly cooler engine. Gain may be negligible, but it will be a gain no less.
Removing the fan/clutch will free up some load on the engine for less drag, plain and simple. I'm not sure of the gains of doing this, but it does make a lot of sense.

Last edited by twinmill28 : 11-13-2012 at 03:47 PM.