View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LoJac963's Deuce Build

Newest update, finally installed an oil filter relocation kit. I was fed up with getting covered in oil trying to remove the stock oil filter and rigging up various things to drain the oil away from the crossmember. Another member did the same, I had bought kit previous and none of them worked but this kit was perfect:

Derale 15748:

I had originally thought about putting the filter sideways mounted to the hood bracket but I wanted something more stout so I ended up removing the driver side rock rail/steps and mounted the filter between the front body mount and first rock rail mount. The filter is protected by both but I mounted it a little low so it does hang down maybe 1/2 inch or so beneath the brackets. I don't make it a habit of running things over so I'm not concerned but I'll definitely keep an eye on it. If I would have mounted it any higher the bolts would have interfered with the upper mounting bolt for the rock rail.

The filters the kit call for are absolutely gigantic, none of the options are for Mobil 1 so I found the equivalent:

Compared to the stock filter:

I ended up finding another filter, same diameter as the stock filter but longer, only one with the correct threads which was the one I went with:

Mounted off the truck:

Back on the rig:

Engine side:

Hell of a project, I spent more time trying to figure out where to mount the filter because I mainly wanted to keep it out of the engine compartment. Plus there wasn't much room underneath with all the exhaust piping which is why I chose outside the frame rail.

I'm also working on swapping all my hold halogens on my roof rack with LED's so more pics to come!