View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 09:07 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does my Hummer need an air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2Miami
What car you da use to drive , most old cars (1950-1985) could live without an air filter , also without an oil change .. I know this cause long ago I drove old cars in my country where no oil or filters were available including a Rambler 59 which never in 3 years need a filter or oil change .
Of course those cars were Carburetor , no fuel inj , no sensors and engine was built as a tank

Umm H2Miami,
No offense but it has nothing to do with older cars.
Any car out there can "live" without an air filter.... like it was said though, if there isnt one you run the risk of sucking in the dust, dirt, and other external crap that could cause harm to the engine. Even in the 50s cars came stock with air and oil filters, and they were meant to be changed. Remember that since the 50s the technology has gotten better not worse... which is why air and oil filters now last longer, but they still need to be changed.
The fact that you drove them without changing the oil or the air filter just means that poor engine must have been a wreck. You might not have known it, but if you would have torn it down, I guarantee there would have been so much sludge in there (and if you arent familar... imagine yourself walking through a deepy muddy boggy marsh, with your legs getting stuck and how slow you would be walking and the amount of work it would take for you to get through it..... same concept for a engine with sludge).
I have seen cars run for long periods of time on the oil in the engine (Ie. like you drove yours for 3 years without an oil change) but when the oil was drained it was so thick it was unreal. I have also seen engine run for long periods of time without oil too. Doesnt mean a you should run the engine without oil. And when those engines were opened up they were horrible... usually junk. The internals were shot with shavings of metal everywhere, the sludge build up, and the way everything has been worn and grooved. Basically the engine was usually only good for a full rebuild and milling (or in most cases it was just easier to junk it and buy a new crate engine)

There are reasons for filters and for the oil changes we do.
Do you want to see your rig run to about 100k or do you want to see your rig run to 300k.
I dont know if you remember the old commercial that stated "Take care of your engine, and it will take cre of you"... Personally I would rather do everything I can to make sure I am not stuck on the side of the road.

So will a car continue to run if you ignore all these? Sure.
Is it right? No. Will it shorten the engine life? Yes

I say spend the few bucks now, so you dont spend thousands later