H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

dallas007 is on a distinguished road
Default Good-bye Hummer, it was great.

While I know it is suicide to post this I thought I would do it anyway. Having owned a Hummer for many years and trying to get another one recently it just did not seem to work out. The dark cloud over the Hummer brand and will or will they not be around caused me to go look at Jeeps. The employee pricing and rebates made them extremely attractive. Sure, they don't have the room, mass, ride, and appearance of the H2, but then they have been around awhile and know what they are doing. They are also a third the price of a H2.

So we took the plunge and got a brand new Wrangler and must tell you while it does not have the interior room, ride, etc. of the H2 it is really a fun vehicle to drive. I live in Arizona so there are hundreds of square miles of off-road trails that are really enjoyable. We went the same places we did in the H2 and it was really great.

Certainly there is no vehicle that does it all, as the H2 has the room and first class interior but the Jeep has advantages as well. Much better on gas and easier to drive and maneuver around trails. I have wanted a manual transmission for a long time and it really has great lugging power.

I will miss the Hummer and had it not been for all the quesitons about the future etc. I may have hung in there. But in the mean time we are still off roading and having a great time in what I find to be a very nice vehicle.

My thanks for the many years of great advice from you fellow Hummer owners and I will keep an eye on the website as I will always care about Hummer. This is a great Forum and does an outstanding job of allowing for the exchanging of ideas, help, advice and opinions. Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

ryanh2 is off the scale
Default Re: Good-bye Hummer, it was great.

As a former Jeep owner I can agree with some of your post. In my opinion you can not compare the two. The only thing they have in common is they are both 4x4's. I have thought about getting rid of my Hummer but I can't figure out what to buy that wouldn't be a major downgrade. If you dont mind me asking what options does your jeep have and roughly how much did it cost? Good luck with your new vehicle!
Old 02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

Knowing that nothing can/will compare with the Hummer I decided to go pretty basic. It was hard to find the manual 6 speed but I really wanted it. Just the basics like power, a/c, am-fm-cd. I paid $19,700 out the door. That is a bumper to bumper extended warranty for 7 years and life time on the drive train. I was planning to pay cash but they have a $1,200 rebate if you use the 0% for 48 months. It is a 2009 vehicle.

I agree with you 100%, there is no comparison between the two. H2 has a lot more vehicle but the price reflects it as well. We looked at it as an inexpensive way to still have a reliable off road vehicle and have some fun.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road

To each his own in these dark times, but as long as you are happy, that's all that matters....you are the one paying the note not anyone here. So best of luck to you and congrats on the new ride. Be safe and God Bless......Jamie
Old 02-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

Why not pick up an 07 H3 with a manual transmission? Where is the loyalty? Even if GM goes bankrupt I think that parts will be readily available and then maybe the evil UAW will be gone for good. MAYBE THEY CAN GET 95% OF THEIR PAY WHILE THEY ARE LOOKING FOR A NEW JOB.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

TGCOFTN is an unknown quantity at this point

That would be sooooooo hard to do. I could not get rid of my H2's I have owned Jeep Grand Cherokee's, Ford Expeditions, Ford Excursions, Lincoln Navigators, and before, there was always a vehicle on the market that would catch my eyes and make me wish I had it. Now that I have my H2's there is no other vehicle on the market I wish I had. I am 110% completely happy with mine. Since they are cutting it off, debating weather to go and grab a 2009 up before they are all gone.
I really hope someone will buy Hummer, and keep the H2's and H3's around. They are just too good of a vehicle to dump.

2007 H2
2008 H2
Old 02-19-2009, 04:00 AM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

This might be one of the reasons that new H2 sales are way down.

2009 Hummer H2 - $72,865 vs 2008 Hummer loaded with 12k miles listed at same dealer for $46,000. Which would you buy?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

TGCOFTN is an unknown quantity at this point

just looked on the Hummer website, and one reason they are not selling is because they have NO DEALS on the H2's

My 2007 is financed on 60 months @ 0% Interest
My 2008 is financed on 72 months @ 0% Interest

GM is offering the 2009 H2's @ 6.9% Interest.
Who in there right mind would pay that???? Especially in today's times.
Most all car companies are offer special low, or no interest rates.
6.9% INTEREST????????? Wake up GM if you want to sell some H2's
Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope it works out for you but you'll be back.

About 5 months ago, I bought my wife an '08 Jeep Wrangler. I bought her an automatic AND a 2WD. I figured it would be cheaper to buy, she doesn't go off-road and would be better on gas.

Better on gas my ass... I'm lucky if I can get 17 mpg. That's RIDICULOUS for a V6 2WD automatic.

When I sold my H2 about 3 months ago, I bought a Rubicon Wrangler... installed a liftkit, flares and wheels and tires. It's a great vehicle but even with a 6 speed on the highway, I get 12mpg. That's RIDICULOUS.

The thing rattles, (thank God I have a hardtop on it), steers all over the place and lasted for 2 weeks before I put it up for sale and I bought another H2.

In fact, I still have the Jeep, it hasn't sold but I don't care, I'm just glad I got into another H2.

Like I said, hope it works out for you but trying to compare any Jeep to an H2 is like comparing hotdogs to steak.

Good luck, talk to you soon when you come back.

Mark
Old 02-19-2009, 04:58 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Mark I have been on this forum longer than I can than I can remember and most of the Hummer owners who move off are back it seems like in 6 months showing off the near Hummer purchase. I figured it was cheaper to buy an H2 once make it what I want. Now I just drive it forever just upgrading all the time.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 02-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Hummer Guru

frenzy1 is on a distinguished road

I love all american trucks/cars !
First ride : Jeep Wrangler (loved it !)
Later I drove a Dodge Ram pickup truck ! Amazing truck !
And, now my h2 .
I'll keep on buying american for sure !!

Frenzy
Belgium, Europe

MY TRUCK : NO !
MY DOG : MAYBE
MY WIFE : YES

Old 02-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I've owned two Wranglers (a six and the four). My personal observations are the Jeep is great offroad, but it is noisy and rides like it is bolted to the frame with no springs or shocks. It will wear you out on any length of highway driving, BUT they are fun.
Taking the doors off in the summer is required. I had the soft top and the hardtop. The soft top won't last more than 3 years and it flaps around at any speed over 30. The hard top has so many squeaks and rattles, you have to turn the radio way up or get a loud muffler. Forget about hauling anything in a Jeep except a friend and your dog. As for the fun factor it's high, but not in the same class as a Hummer IMHO.
I had reliability problems with the head gasket and #3 cylinder exhaust valve on my 6 cylinder fixed under warranty - a common problem if you go to Wrangler threads. You gotta do what is good for you, and what YOU WANT!
I agree with TAZ, I sold my H3 to my son and for five months I was Hummerless before I got the H2. Just ask Orange Crush and others, nothing out there compares to an H2.

Last edited by HummerJim : 02-19-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

You gent's may be right and I could be back. Perhaps it is just frustration on my part but I can't see rolling the dice on if Hummer will be around, and if GM or the new buyer will provide service years from now. One can read on this very forum that some think "they" have to provide parts for 10 years, but then others post that if they go belly-up, then they owe nothing. If I was a current Hummer owner, I would remain one and keep it.

I have seen my home value reduce here in Phoenix 40%, and my 401k go down close to 50%, I can't see paying Lynch Hummer 70 grand for a new Hummer and a day later it will be worth 30% less. Remember, I am the idioit that drove from Phoenix to St. Louis at Christmas to try and buy a used one with a few thousand miles on it. As time continues to pass I do not see the future of Hummer looking any brighter now than it was last fall when I started to look around again. I am not investing 40 or 50 grand on a used one not knowing if I can buy a part for it five years from now.

You are right OrangeCrush and I said from the start, there is no comparison between a Jeep and H2. There can't be as a $17,000 vehicle can't compare with a $70,000 vehicle. For kicking around the desert it will do a fine job.

My issue has never been about the ability of the Hummer as they are the best. My concern is the future of serivce and parts etc. I can't afford to take that gamble at this stage of the game. I have been sitting on the side line for too long now and want to get back out in the desert and have some fun. I am one of the few that really use a four wheel drive off road. Thanks again for the input as I enjoy reading your comments.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

I want to use mine for my final resting place. I don't plan on selling either one unless I get a newer one.
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat