H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-13-2002, 05:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

cognitive is off the scale

Glad to hear you and your wife are ok.

Please post the pictures if you can. The way you have described the accident, the Hummer could have been the leading cause for the survival of the guy in the Civic as well. I've seen a head on collision with an H2 (actually it wasn't a comforting sight) but I'm curious what a rear impact looks like. Most of all I want to see pictures of a side impact since it seems this is where the H2 could be vulnerable.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:48 PM
Hummer Expert

Arizona Hummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

This is Mrs. Hummerboy,
I thought I had better write this as the combination of the crash and Vicodin have made Hummerboy a little goofy, not too mention he really is dyslexic. We are very appreciative of all of your thoughts and prayers. I too agree that if it wasn't for the H2 the guy in the Civic would be dead. I hope he realizes that also. We are so glad to be here to tell about it. I thought hummerboy was crazy for wanting one of those big things but now I'm glad he insisted on it. I'm also glad to hear you tell him to get another H2. We have been fighting over that. I don't want the H1 but he was thinking that he should get one of those this time. I'm holding out for the H2. I can not believe how well that thing protected us. We don't even have bruises from the seatbelts. I have always heard that people get bruises from the seatbelts when they are in a crash. Every day I am amazed at how lucky we are to be here. Again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers.
Mrs Hummerboy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 06:01 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by Arizona Hummerboy:
the crash and Vicodin have made Hummerboy a little goofy

uh-huh.....like he was normal before that? Just kidding.

On behalf of myself and the list, I'd like to extend to you and your family our most sincere happiness that you all came through such a traumatic event in such good condition.

While very few people go through their lives without being involved in an accident of some kind, it's good to know that your encounter was dampened by the strong and protective force that we've come to regard as the H2.

While some would suspect our interest is in the H2 and how it came through the accident...it is entirely the health and well being of your family that comes to mind when we hear of such news. Please nurture your husband back to good health and place him in front of the computer....we'll.....we'll take it from there.

Thanks and God Bless
Old 12-14-2002, 06:07 PM

kelleymac2000 is off the scale

Hi there! Glad to hear everyone is okay.

I would advise against an H1 for daily driving for a couple of reasons: maintenance is INCREDIBLY expensive. I have two friends with H1s and in the past six months, each has been in for service for more than weeks at a time. One of them had a repair bill for $11K...I'm not exaggerating!

I want to buy an H1 someday myself, but for a daily driver, I firmly believe that the h2 is the way to go...

Kelley
Old 12-14-2002, 06:18 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Kelley so very much hit the nail right on the head with that call. We all have buddies with H1's and we don't want to 'slam' them...

...but the H1 is really just the most awesome offroading machine. It has great clearance, gear-driven hubs and is even wider then the H2. These features make it quite a force to reckon with. HOWEVER, there is a price to pay.

The H1 is costly to purchase and maintain. The H1 is loud, noisy, rough-riding, very limited in comfort and has shockingly little room inside its cab. It wide enough to make it a much greater challange to park and it lacks the smooth, luxurious features that we've come to love about the H2's.

I too wish to own an H1 one day...but for offroading exclusively. While there are some who use it daily...my opinion is that its just not practical. As I said before....put your man in front of the computer..we'll do the rest. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2002, 04:43 AM

JJ is off the scale

Sorry to hear about your accident but glad that you and your wife are fine. Seems like your H2 is (was) the best anniversary present the two of you have ever received.

Take your time with the Doctor check-ups - quite a few of these rear end accidents result in symptoms later on.... been there done that. We were rear ended in a little chevy chevette many years ago and it scared the living .....

Our prayers are with you and those involved in the accident.

JJ
Old 12-15-2002, 12:02 PM

SONA is off the scale

Glad to hear that you are ok, and now I know that I made the right decision as well. Ms Hummer stand your ground and get the H2, the H1 is a hog and hardley ever works. The dealer where I got mine wanted to pay me $1000 to by the last H1 they had on the lot.

"Let me show you my gun collection"
\"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid.\" \"Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
Old 12-16-2002, 01:35 PM
Site Admin

Jason has disabled reputation

Here is one...
Attached Files
File Type: Azh1 (62.6 KB, 563 views)
Old 12-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Site Admin

Jason has disabled reputation

another...
Attached Files
File Type: Azh2 (45.6 KB, 575 views)
Old 12-16-2002, 01:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Looking at the picture of the Jeep, it's hard to see if anything was jammed back into the crew compartment, but all-in-all it looks better than I thought it would from the early description.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas
Old 12-16-2002, 02:47 PM

SJ is off the scale

Arizona:

Glad you're OK!!! Your accident is horrendous and with all the storms nationwide lately, it's dangerous on the roads, but weather doesn't sound like it was an issue.

Was the Jeep driver intoxicated or simply not paying attention (e.g. cell phone, etc.)?
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 12-16-2002, 04:27 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think the engine in the Jeep is probably moved back a good bit. Its obvious that bumpers on both car and Jeep went under the Hummer and spit the Hummer up in the air. That is what saved their life, had all vehicles hit bumper to bumper, loss of life would have would probably have been certain.
Glad Hummerboy and wife are still with us. Our thought and prayers go out to all.

Don and Phyllis
Old 12-16-2002, 06:10 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Frist off, you all may recall that Arizona Boy had previously indicated that the engine in the Jeep HAD been pushed into the drivers compartment...so this is the case (as the photo would lead one to believe).

You can also see that the bumper of the Jeep is virtually unaffected/untouched by the dramatic collision. THAT SUCKS...cause that is the purpose of the bumper...to absorb and direct force.

I love my H2, but I have to say....this picture would lead me to believe that a bumper-height issue will have to be addressed. Anybody in a sports car, or regular car for that matter, would not engage us bumper-to-bumper. While we sing praise to the H2 and how it protected our boy, we have to figure that somebody in that Jeep may have been hurt more so then if he had struck another vehicle with 'standard' bumper height. And you can't say it's tough-luck for the Jeep...he could have just been hit and knocked into the H2, or his accellerator could have stuck...who knows...but this picture concerns me.

I have 2 commercial trucks, so I'm familar with some of the DOT law. There are requirements for a rear bumper height to insure that vehicles can't slip under the trucks.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:57 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

Yep you are so right...remember a few years ago when the DOT required that 18 wheelers have the bars be put below the rears of the trucks. Now days you can see them stripped with yellow tape.

This was implemented when cars were going under the rear and folks were being killed running underneath the rear wheels.

Well all in all...the hummer is still intended to be driven off road, but with creature comforts of getting to the off-road.. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Still would like to see AZHummerboy's hummer as well to see how it held up.

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
Old 12-16-2002, 07:06 PM

SONA is off the scale

the issue is that the Jeep hit his rear tire carrier, which absorbed the majority of the impact, and the bumper issue did not come into play. Without the rear tire carrier the results of the damage to the jeep would have been much different. Just an uneducated guess from a medical professional (nurse anesthetist).

\"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid.\" \"Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
Old 12-16-2002, 07:29 PM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

Hey Sona...I too tend to analyze crashes too. Except for I am analyzing where I am gonna find an airway in most crash victims and gonna intubate them.

Oh just wondering if you do this: when out in public to you notice folks jawlines and necks and think about how easy or hard they would be to intubate? I do. And when I see those folks with bullnecks or receding chins, I tend to look the other way.

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
Old 12-16-2002, 07:39 PM

SONA is off the scale

More so when I was an anesthesia student (1988-90) then now. Now I just shake my head and think, dude, please don't come to my OR or show up in my ER. May let you go for Darwinian purposes... LOL, just kidding... I do think, "Do you realize how much grief people like you, give people like me, trying to help you help yourself, even if you don't appreciate how important it is for you to exchange oxygen with your fat cells?"

Old 12-17-2002, 03:07 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Arizona, Do you the photos of your Hummer? I think we want to see that more than the Honda or Jeep.
Get the Hummer tool and first aid kits out of your old Hummer, they are selling them for over $200 on eBay. While you are at it, get the rims, chairs, air tube and anything that is not nailed down and sell them on eBay. If you do it right, you may get enough money to buy an H1 too.