H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Greg is off the scale
Default Engine Options...

Question:

I'm on my third H2, had a 03, o4, now a 05, I have about 38K on this one and thinking of keeping it even after the normal put 60k on it and trade it in.

Are there any after market engines (with more power!) to put in. or hjust put and rebuild?

What's the take on this one?

Thanks...

Greg
Old 12-31-2006, 04:31 AM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Engine Options...

The stock engine should go at least 200K. We have this engine in a 2500 w/ 260K on the original motor. I bet the new 6.2L will go in easily if you must change it.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan06SUT
The stock engine should go at least 200K. We have this engine in a 2500 w/ 260K on the original motor. I bet the new 6.2L will go in easily if you must change it.

It might require some minor front end work ....Just guessing....
Old 01-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Hummer Professional

wilfred is off the scale

I think the H2 will eventually get the new 6.2L and I read it somewhere (don't remember where exactly, so nothing official) that a new H2 is coming soon. As early as model year 2008 so maybe we will soon see camouflaged prototypes on the web soon?

Better yet, I hope they will offer the duramax diesel on the new one as well!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
It might require some minor front end work ....Just guessing....

hmmmm. possible front end work to fit a possible new engine. I guess it's possible that the H2 will be getting a possilbe face lift.

and it's all just a guess.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Hummer Professional

johndjmix1 is off the scale

Why would you ever transplant another gas engine into the H2?

--John

1/4 Mile 15.29@91.34mph

Mods:
Magnusun Radix Supercharger!!!
Switch to allow full Nav Controls while moving
Warn 9.5 Winch
Old 01-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Hummer Expert

MONSTERMATT is an unknown quantity at this point

DURRAMAXX!!! if u maintain the engine now the truck will last well into 200k synthetic amsoil every 3k on the nose
Old 01-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Take engine You got and add programer do all you can to get it to breath in and out. Then go with a LS6 set of heads and cam then if handheld programer will not up fuel and timing enough, get in touch with Allen Nelson and tell him what you got and let him program a PCM for You and max it out. Retain extremely good drivability but, will grunt and go when You want it. Do some tranny work and never worry about down shifting to much on hills. may have to increase fuel pressure using Keene Bell boost a pump so you do not have to chnage from factory or add a second pump. Reduces potential for problems. KenP had one on his old Black Beauty.

I accomplished it without doing the LS6 equipment and used handheld with all the air flow i could get and long neck headers which increase low end and true dual exhaust. I could have used tranny upgrades to make it even better but, i was eating rice rockets like crazy. When i put on supercharger with 6lbs. of boost i blew away my cousins new Vette in a 0 to 60. He was gaining and if it had been to 100 he would have caught me, maybe. I had pedal left. Now he will not run me anymore because he laughed when i told him i thought i could at least give him a run for his money. We are buddies but, he is a sore loser and always has been. But, right now with magnuson, tuning and all the other add-ons etc. We have around 550HP at the ground. If You have ever seen KenP Ligenfelter video it shows you how violent the take off is. Mine is so bad that i had no choice but, to pedal it until i got to figure out to point the rig slightly off center and then let it go and allow the torgue steer just take me on line. The 6.0L in the H2 is a beast waiting to be turned loose. I would not pull my motor for any motor unless i blow it up and then not sure.
we still have to raise boost to about 18lbs. and add water/methanol inj. along with co2 spray on the aftercooler to bring temp down on supercharger.

So do not give up on that motor. Go to other GM forums and see what people are doing with the motor. Go to Nelsonperformance.com and go to the truck forum and see what they do with it and turbo's etc.

You can still take an old 289 high performance and make it as bad a motor as you would want to drive daily on the street. I had one in a 68 Mustang in early 70's and owned all the big blocks. Could not be beat out of the hole and could not be beat on 1/8th mile track but, never loss a race not even on 1/4 mile. Paid for part of college pink slipping in Olathe, Kansas while in school in KC, MO. Tape a $100 bill to dash and after i dumped clutch if you could raise up and get it, Yours. If not I kept your $50.

I will do the LS6 heads and cam later to really get the full use of the supercharger on now and tranny upgrades Dragon and I need to do next on the list.

I have gone or will be using software laptop programing next after Dragon finishs the electronics upgrades for a sponosor.

What ever makes anybody happy is what you should do. I just do not understand changing the engine you got when it is one of the most power added to engines i think GM has ever made since the 283 in the 60's and 70's. You can find almost anything to go on it but, you have to spend money and get good tuning from somebody or learn to do it yourself. It is interesting.

Dragon and i have been studying and I have been visiting with one of the best performance upgrade companies in the nation that just happens to be in a city near me. The head guy said the H2 already has got as good and flexible engine to use if you want power on any level. He has put together suggestions, well and confirmed some of what i thought i wanted to do as far as the path to take to get to 1000HP at the wheels and most likely not do any bottom end work he said. The bottom is bullet proof he says. We will see hopefully this year.

I have not looked at 6.2L heads but, if you do not increase fuel and air any set of heads are useless as a larger ported and polished set of heads is for is to flow more fuel into cylinder and exhaust out faster.

You just have to decide what You want out of Your motor and set down with any performance shop You trust and the 6.0l will do it for You. I Love that motor and hope it holds up to what i plan on putting it through. If not then i will blow it and do something different. maybe see if a 572 crate motor will fit with a blower on it.

Problems is what do you want and is it worth spending the money for it. To me i just like making something do what it was not thought of for that design. H2 will crawl with anything and I'm proud of all who do that. where I'm at it is as flat as a pool table. Rice growing country. So my challenge is to make people fear it on a straight run 0 to 60, 1/8 mile or 1/4 mile. Plus hopefully run it on a mile speed trap late in 2007 and see what the topend speed the brick with wheels can go from the stop to one mile. The Texas Mile in Goliad TX. I hope if we get there this year many will come and help in pit. If not this year will shoot for early 2008 and again in late 2008. They are affiliated with Bonneville Salt flats group. Just a different format.

I plan to keep the rig street drivable all the time except for when Dragon is always got it tore down adding new electronics.

I know DRTY XXeleventithy chapter for CO HUMMER to read now. He is going to have to take speed reading course to keep up i guess.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 02-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

those new 6.2L heads are a bastard child of the new ls7 heads, just retrofitted for a 15* valve angle and 4.00" bore. They are the latest, and possibly, greatest set of heads you can have right now, and they are GM, not an aftermarket casting like AFR or ETP.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Hummer Authority

obzidian thanks on the info on the 6.2L heads. Woulk you go that route over ls6 heads and cam along with going 9:1 on compression. I have been told this may be to much and still run SC.

I have a friend that is like you been in the GM motor building a long time. He suggested a ls6 and cam with a 10:1 cr plus run the blower along with weth.inj for a better 1/4 miler or 0 to 60 seems to be the fun run around here right now. Butg, these guys are the ones mentioned at Specialty Perf. Products with new nice new piston design. This is later after the speed trap run.

He keeps saying keep in mind we are trying to move 7000lbs. off the line then he says it is all go and no slip if setup right. So hole shot is a huge advatange we all know. He mentioned like You had goingn to the 90mm throttle body.
I forgot with the SC on and not great tune I got my cousins new 05 vette in a 0 to 60 mostly because he was setting there spinning and burning tires. If i had been 0 to 100 maybe I lose.

Your thoughts

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges

Last edited by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ : 02-13-2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

o2man98 is on a distinguished road

If you plan on running the L76 6.2 heads you must also convert to the L92 intake manifold to compensate for the changed angles of the mounting flanges. Do not worry these parts are cheap when you consider what you are getting. GM is really coming around to the performance parts sector.

Part Numbers
GM #12590771 2.16 intake valve
GM #12582719 1.59 exhaust valve
GM #12582714 L92 Bare Cylinder head
GM #12600936 Rocker arm pedestals
GM #12569167 Intake Rocker arm
GM #10214664 Exhaust Rocker arm
GM #12590124 L76 Style Intake manifold
GM #12499225 LS Series lifter kit(newly designed for high RPM LS7 usuage)
Old 02-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

yeup, i believe you can get all of this for the same price of a ported stage 3 ls6 head package. Kinda crazy!!!

Personally, i believe those heads are gonna revolutionize the heads wars. GM really steped up with putting these on the market and at the price they are selling them, well, i dont see why not.

great thing is that we have the manditory 4.00" bore that these heads require, since we are a lq9 6.0L motor. These things flow like C5R heads bcause they were designed after the C5R head program for the ls7.

So, would i, hell yeah!!

TAZ, i would probably want to be under the 10.1:1 CR range. My current car is at 8.7:1 and im shooting for 15-23psi. So a 9.1 cr is a good place to be to maintain a strong dcr under everyday lower boost levels... think about, running 20psi everyday is alot of strain and we need to dvelop a way to acheive peak power without increasing the psi levels if we want the motor to last. Not that it isn't but the more you are throwing at it, the higher teh frictional coifficient... more wear.

So, me.... well, i would start with a larger CI motor, than add a 122 eaton, f that is what you like... and see where that takes you... OR, a kenne bell. With our blocks, all we need is a larger piston, port work... to about 4.030" bore for a 408ci with a stroker crank of 4.00". (i believe or stock strock is 3.62ish) You can go bigger, and increase the bore, and get a 422ci... but a 408ci is fine. NOW, you will have the torque down low and stay flat acoss the powerband.

NOW, you add the boost. 9.1:1 is fine, and with a proper tune, i dont see why you shouldn't net 800hp with a combo like that. That is at the crank.

good luck!!

Last edited by obzidian : 02-20-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Hummer Authority

The Magnuson comes with it's own intake manifold. I doubt the manifold will match up with the L76 heads, I think. I will have to stay with a head that matchs up. That is one reason a friend who is part of Specialty and Performance Products recommended the LS6 cam and heads.

I will not be running 20lbs. on normal setup. I will be at 7 or 8 lbs. but still have inj. and co2. I will be doing tunes for many different boost levels and the on board computer will have them all stored. That way i just stop kill motor leaving key on and pull tune off and load another. I will have several SC pulley's and we have learned to change them without taking belts off. It is not hard or anything it just let's you get it done in a few minutes on the spot if needed. The real high boost i will be trying to run will only be for the one mile speed trap run to set a top speed for a SUV in the open class so it will hopefully interest someone else to try and beat that and I come back the next rear and that guy is back just hoping to keep building interest and they will setup a SUV class.

You know just trying to get something started that is new. The organizers are very interested and see another group of people to get involved in the sport. They have trucks, sport cars, muscle cars, and allot of other divisions. So I'm not real sure what i'll do once i have done what the sponsors want. But, the way i am i can't leave anything alone. I can always run a boost setup that will help on top end more and change gears in rearend and transfer to get it out of a hole if i want to just run around to some strips freaking people out.

I just have to look at it one project at a time. I just want to have fun with it and meet my obligations then Dragon and i can feel it out as to what way we need to do to draw the most attention to MSA. Showing it is one but, taking to strip a few times a year so people are talking will be another.
So it will be interesting.

TAZ