H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

giant h2 is on a distinguished road
Default Shifter Cable on 2005 H2- have to write this!

Ok I am going to start by saying I love our H2. but...... My wife and kids went for a visit to the mother in laws and broke down in Tampa at a gas station with our H2. The problem the shifter cable broke when she put it in park to get gas. We had AAA tow the H2 to Stingray Chevy, plant city FL. BTW great folks at this dealership, thank you!! This was on a Sunday, shop closed till Monday wife stranded etc..... She's pissed.

They ordered the part on Monday it arrived on Tuesday and she picked her car up later that week.

I called GM to complain, now lets face it this is not a new car, (5yrs old) but it is well maintained and has never been off road! Of course GM said its not under warranty and I am on my own. BTW I was only asking for the refund of the part and labor not towing, rental car, inconvenience etc. They denied me.

Now gang we all know that I am not the only one to get this issue on an H2 this is clearly a design fault of GM. How many of you have cars that are two and 3 times this age and they shift into gear a basic essential for a car??

Would anyone care to chime in now. Government Motors who we all support in many ways is still as dumb as ever and we keep coming back for more, hew! I feel better, and I am considering trading or selling my H2 if anyone is interested.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shifter Cable on 2005 H2- have to write this!

First of all, I'm sorry your wife got stranded, wouldn't wish that on anyone. Ya never know where that's going to happen so for that, I'm sorry to hear.

Second, have you had any work done on the truck? I remember years ago that guys that did engine work that forgot to put on a engine ground, the shifter cables would burn up on GM's. It's been a while but I had the same problem, had to replace 3 shifter cables until I found out it was a bad ground.

Last but not least, I'm not sure why you're upset to the point you are contemplating selling your H2???

It's a shifter cable on a 6 year old truck. Unless you've had some other major problems, I'd say that's pretty minor.

Hell, I just bought my mother a 2010 Mini Cooper S, she drove it 1 day and it wouldn't start the next. Turns out there is a "glitch" in the software for the 2010 automatics.

Now, that's pretty bad. I hardly think I'd sell my H2 because of a 6 year old cable going bad but to each their own.

Mark
Old 09-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Olfart is on a distinguished road

it might have been the plastic bushing on the end of the cable that broke. Still have to replace the entire cable. There ar other posts on here about the problem. Someone came up with a temp fix using a pair of visegrips(which I now carry in my tool kit)
Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

yes olfart your correct on both accounts, here are some other issues;

well lets see I needed a new starter, a DRL, Front wheel bearings, the marker lights were leaking on the front and rear soaking the carpet, and one of the passenger seat adjust motors is out. All issues have been repaired except the seat motor. That is quite a few defects. Wheel bearings at 60k miles thats a poor design. I have a 17yr old car that shifts into and out of gear with far more miles on it and no cable issue, which by the way is a poor design. What erks me the most is GM, this is a defunct brand, and they treat their customers like crap! When will they learn, maybe when no one in the USA drives an American made/designed car????
Old 09-28-2010, 12:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

A buddy of mine was at the dealer this weekend in JAX and the guy in front of him at the parts counter was buying a shifter cable for his H2, GM is in such denial about this issue!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:46 AM
Hummer Professional

charles06 is on a distinguished road

Just be thankful that you're not replacing it because someone crawled under, popped it off, rolled your truck out of the drive, and broke into it......like me.
White 2005 SUT, Lifted 7.5" via Fabtech/custom work, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 shocks, 40x15.5x22 Toyo's, black 22" Fuel wheels, 4.88 gears, Dynatech long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Air-raid intake, Superchips programmer, Edlebrock panhard bar, Cognito UCA's, Kryptonite tie rods, Cognito pitman/idlar arm gussets, Hotchkis swaybars and trailing arms, Amp Research steps, E&G fender flares, PIAA SMR's, smoked roof lights (bulbs removed), black suede headliner, 13" JL's under seat
Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

that would suck! must be someone that knows its and issue?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

You posted this same thing 1 month ago??
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...=shifter+cable

Sorry Giant but I agree with Orange Crush. Your truck in 5+ years old ... did you think nothing would happen to it? All kinds of different problems happen to all different makes of Cars. That's the reason that behind every Make of Vehicle's Dealership (even the most reliable) you will find a Service center. Good luck with your Sale/Trade and your new Wheels but I guaranty you that your new Make of car will also have a very large Service Center in the back.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant h2
maybe when no one in the USA drives an American made/designed car????

Now, I always hated this comment. Its 5 years old and things will happen. I had a Toyota a few years ago and could never understand what the hype is all about. It was no better than any Gm or Ford, if anything it was worse. How about all thats been going on woth Toyota latley?
I am a plumber and in my business things brake, leak all the time. Am I suppose warrenty parts forever?