H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-02-2003, 11:44 AM

Chewy is off the scale

I've had a bunch of (jealous) folks criticize the H2 as just being a different body on a Tahoe chassis. While I don't believe that's true, I don't know the facts.

Does anyone know what major systems the H2 shares with other GM vehicles and what are unique to the H2?
Old 08-02-2003, 11:44 AM

Chewy is off the scale

I've had a bunch of (jealous) folks criticize the H2 as just being a different body on a Tahoe chassis. While I don't believe that's true, I don't know the facts.

Does anyone know what major systems the H2 shares with other GM vehicles and what are unique to the H2?
Old 08-02-2003, 12:49 PM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

It is different but we just have to educate them. I have also been told it is just a dressed up suburban. Point out that the tahoe is actually longer so how could it be the tahoe chassis. They cannot just trim the ends and mount the hummer body..

Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Alcoa Wheels, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, 2-7" screens in headrests with DVD player and TV Tuner.
Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2\" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and full dual exhaust by B&B as well, ARB fridge/freezer, Full Audio upgrade.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:34 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

SteveR is pretty good at telling you the differences, its a long one, a very long list, nevertheless excellent details. If he posts the answer or anyone directs you to those posts, better get yourself a cup of coffee and ready for a long read.
Dear Lord....
...if you're listening: please bestow upon our brother SteveR the concept of BREVITY.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:34 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I own an H2 as well as a 4x4 Tahoe. They are in no way, shape, form, performance the same vehicle. All auto mfg. use parts, chassis/parts of chassis/ etc. for a number of vehicles in their line to reduce cost. You will also see GM parts in the H1 now that they have the rights to the Hummer name. That doesn't make an h1 the same truck as an Escalade but does make GM a smart company. The H2 is a new vehicle from the ground up. The H2 chassis is ONLY used on the H2, which is shorter than the Tahoe (amazing). It is ladder frame/chopped and welded from the the suburban chassis. When complete it does not resemble anything GM has on the road but it was a smart way to reduce cost on production of the chassis while making something completely unique and performance that is unbeatable. So I can tell you from experience that the vehicle are different, different league, different planets but for the folks that are ignorant, of which there are many, they will call it the Tahoe 2. For these folks you just need to realize that if they could afford one they would have one and that if the H2 wasn't so great, exciting, different no one would talk about it. Enjoy, you have one of the best trucks ever made!
Old 08-02-2003, 11:49 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

HERE! HERE! I second that!

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-03-2003, 04:57 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hmmm....is the H2 just a dressed-up Tahoe??

Well...that reminds me of when I was in college and there was this soda machine out in the hallway. I used to head down the hallway to get a drink every now and then but was afraid the other students studying would notice and be so distracted that they'd complain to the manager. As a means of distraction I'd throw an onion down the hallways just before I'd walk...that way they'd look for the noise and then realize it was nothing...then proceed unnoticed. I used a technique of taking tube-steps instead of regular walking steps:

Long live tube steps! They saved your door and front side, imagine if the red tin can smash straight into your Hummer, big damages for sure. Tube steps can prevent most door and shopping cart dings too, I tested that a few times, really work.

Course back in those days I used to think of cars a lot, I even made list: The list of cars is usually longer than the message. I've seen it for months but I'm just too polite to say anything about it, I think they are generally younger ones who just started with toys within last few years. At least we don't have those with lots of photos of cars as signature. Most Hummer owners here have or had far more expensive and exotic cars but chose not to show them. Z06, peace, love to have you here, with or without your list of past and current cars.

Soon after I got the Hummer, one of my many sisters-in-law wanted to borrow the Hummer to drive around her office parking lot and take her staff to lunch, I said "Sure, anytime." "No, you don't mean that?" "Why not? help yourself. Just leave your SL here." I never mind other people driving my vehicles. She never did drive the Hummer, I think Hummer is a bit scary for a lot of people to drive.

At a reunion in Sacramento a few weeks ago, one of the wives borrowed my Hummer for a drive and took off with my wife. Boy, is that woman a super aggressive driver! took off in the Hummer like a rocket. Had me worried for 5-10 minutes standing at the hotel lobby.

Dan and Hummer Man bought tears to my eyes, ahhhh, those good old days, when men were men and women were women. I heard they are making the new Stafford Wives movie. I had a Japanese girl friend 20 years ago, she was actually like that, absolutely honest truth! She was insulted when I got myself a drink or took off my own shoes. True story. I never got used to that, always thought the ERA or NOW are just hiding behind the curtain ready to jump out to catch me, put me away and throw away the key.

Um....what was the question again? Opps...gotta run, I seemed to have soiled myself....somebody tell the butler to alert the maid so that the gardener can be called to tell the grounds-keeper to move his car so the valet can pull up.

Old 08-03-2003, 05:05 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Okay....here's your real answer:

Any idiot knows the difference between the H2 and the Tahoe: The H2 starts with an "H" and the Tahoe a "T".

Buckeye is on the mark. Using existing parts is all about incorporating economies of scale to keep cost down (and profit up). Heck...even the H1 is a compilation of GM, Chrysler and Ford parts!

The H2 was designed jointly between AM-General AND GM. While it utilizes several parts from existing GM vehicles, it is built by AMG in their new plant right next to the H1.

In short, H2 is way beefed-up and reinforced, larger wheels & tires, traction control system, rear-locker, height-control, upgraded suspension, reduced throttle-sensitivity in 4-lo and an enormous host of other features.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Not the same. Note the side steps as part of the original design.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2003, 03:06 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Not the same. AM General is not owned by GM.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Have you ever seen a Tahoe like this?
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2003, 01:56 AM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

Boy it sure would make it easy to change one's exhaust system if one's truck looked like this.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:11 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Oh my gosh....MAC is showing naked pics of the H2!!!!!!

what else ya got MAC?
Old 08-04-2003, 03:17 PM

Paul L is off the scale

I want to bungie a lawn chair on that rig & hit the trail
Old 08-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Mac, GOD she looks good naked!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

JSA_3 is off the scale

originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've had many people tell me otherwise though as if it were fact. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find that they are not H2 owners either, but if I let them go on long enough I find out all kinds erroneous info.

I just smile and let them go about their business misinformed, secure in the knowledge that we all know better
Old 08-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Transfer case.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2003, 06:12 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

An intermediate ladder shield and skid plates cover the bottom side of the H2.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2003, 06:14 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Rear suspension.
Attached Images