H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RealWheels Brush Guard

hey everyone, hope your having a great christmas! um, just got a quick question, or sort of a poll for you guys adn gals. my girl friend wants to buy me a brush guard for christmas, yeah its gona be a late present but better than nothin. anyways she was looking at the realwheels one, http://www.realwheelsacc.com/h3_302-2bp.html. i found them at another site for around 1100, but dont really care im not paying, hehe.

I am kinda looking at the OEM one because it looks like it belongs there, the size and everything is just rite, but i like the beefier look of the realwheels one. the problem with that is i can really see how it looks.

does anyone on here have it installed and would you be able to share some pics? The only pics online are from an angle and i cant tell anything, looks like the realwheels might be a bit big, adn its the same pic on every different site.

I know most of you on here are going with the oem one but what do you guys think of this one? (link above) anyone know where i can see more pictures of it from different angles?

thanks in advance. have a merry christmas and enjoy the rest of the new year!

Last edited by marin8703 : 12-25-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: RealWheels Brush Guard

Looks good without the inserts. However, if you want my opinion on front brush guards, that is one thing I will always stay with the OEM. The OEM is required to test their accessories for crash worthiness, and I don't mean will it hold up in a crash, I mean it can't interfere with the air bag system, and the front of the H3 has two front end sensors.
These sensors are not the ones to actually determine the deployment of the air bags, they are used to help the module determine between stage one or -stage two of a deployment. (Stage one=partial deployment-meaning less force; stage two=full deployment-meaning full force.) If the front brush guard does not collapse as designed, the front sensors may not trigger a stage two deployment, thus not allowing for full force deployment, thus causing someone to not be restrained properly in a serious crash.

Will the aftermarket brush guard affect this deployment? I can't say, all I can say is I bet they have not tested this, and they are NOT required by law; whereas GM is for all accessories that might affect crash worthiness.

Then again a winch mounted in the front could affect the front sensors too, and many have winches.

Just something to think about; hopefully, you will never need the air bags or the pretensioners.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:02 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

Well, if you're going to get it even after F5's doomsday speech , then at least buy it for much less:

http://www.amazon.com/RealWheels-Pow...8&s=automotive

BTW F5, maybe you could show/tell us where the impact force sensors are for reference? I have no idea where they are mounted to be honest.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

Looks like it just mounts in the same place and way the OEM one does. Can't see how that would make it differ in a crash.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:07 AM
Hummer Guru

Front radiator support, left and right side. They will have yellow connectors.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:17 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Ops
Looks like it just mounts in the same place and way the OEM one does. Can't see how that would make it differ in a crash.

Not how they mount, how do they collapse in a frontal collision. The SDM has milliseconds to determine to deploy or not deploy, and what force to deploy if deployment is warranted. Something too strong, may cause a stage one deployment versus a stage two, and someone may hit something hard.

In no way am I saying an aftermarket bush guard will affect the force of an air bag deployment, all I'm saying is that I know by law, the manufacturers brush guard had to pass tests to prove they would not affect air bag deployment stages. And, all I did was voice my opinion on the use of a non-OEM brush guard. I will use non-OEM equipment almost anywhere else on the vehicle, but not in the front end, in front of those sensors.

I do know if there is a crash, and a 1241 form is filed with NHTSA that states the bags did not deploy correctly, a GM product investigator will note the front brush guard is not OEM, and will notify NHTSA and chances are the case will be closed.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:39 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Front radiator support, left and right side. They will have yellow connectors.

Cool, thanks.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Hummer Guru

The Green Lantern is an unknown quantity at this point

If I have to pick another brushguard besides the one I got now (SMA), I'll pick this one ......Manik...
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2006, 01:41 AM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Got link/price to that Manik?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern
If I have to pick another brushguard besides the one I got now (SMA), I'll pick this one ......Manik...
Old 12-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp
Got link/price to that Manik?

http://www.suvxccessory.com/mnks-453050hb.html
Old 12-26-2006, 01:53 AM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that's a no brainer for me..I'll take F5 Door #1 ..The GM Engineered Brush gaurd....
Old 12-26-2006, 01:56 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern

Opps, wrong one try this one - http://www.suvxccessory.com/mnks-453051hb.html
Old 12-27-2006, 12:29 AM
Hummer Authority

thanks everyone for the input, im gona think about it for a day or two more and see what happens. so far it seems the oem has the upper hand, but still donk know, im also looking into the other ones mentioned on here. thanks again!
Old 12-30-2006, 04:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Not how they mount, how do they collapse in a frontal collision. The SDM has milliseconds to determine to deploy or not deploy, and what force to deploy if deployment is warranted. Something too strong, may cause a stage one deployment versus a stage two, and someone may hit something hard.

In no way am I saying an aftermarket bush guard will affect the force of an air bag deployment, all I'm saying is that I know by law, the manufacturers brush guard had to pass tests to prove they would not affect air bag deployment stages. And, all I did was voice my opinion on the use of a non-OEM brush guard. I will use non-OEM equipment almost anywhere else on the vehicle, but not in the front end, in front of those sensors.

I do know if there is a crash, and a 1241 form is filed with NHTSA that states the bags did not deploy correctly, a GM product investigator will note the front brush guard is not OEM, and will notify NHTSA and chances are the case will be closed.

I understand. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:44 AM
Steve - SanJose

I actually like the look and fit of the OEM brushguard in both black or chrome. What should I expect the price to be for the OEM one?
Old 12-30-2006, 09:56 PM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road

I went with this one because it was the only one I could find that had the winch mount. I was concerned about getting the two pieces to go together from different places. It just bolted right on. Everything lined up.

http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H3_W...c-50280-wm.htm
Attached Images

Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.

Last edited by Hunner : 12-30-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:52 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunner
I went with this one because it was the only one I could find that had the winch mount. I was concerned about getting the two pieces to go together from different places. It just bolted right on. Everything lined up.

http://www.teakatoys.com/Hummer_H3_W...c-50280-wm.htm

yeah i was looking at that one too. so overall do would you say its worth the money? and which winch do you have on there? thanks
Old 12-31-2006, 12:54 AM
Hummer Authority

oh never mind about the question of which winch you have on there, noticed its in your signature.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:19 AM
Hummer Professional

Hunner is on a distinguished road

It was a lot better deal than the chromed brush guard alone I had them take off at the dealer for $1500!!! In fact I bought the guard and mount and winch for that. I had a little talk with the next guy up about that as well. I mean come on this was gouging. I was going to walk if they did not remove it. That and $400 dollar chrome handles for the hood that don't even work on a H3. I had to eat the chrome package because they all had it. Oh well its better than some of that Manik stuff that you can bend around the fender that comes in three pieces and will end up that way.
Traded 06 I-5 for 08H3 ALPHA/Adv,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn 9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner rear/shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola rack,2GoLights,Hunner steering gear mount,Purple Cranium diff guard,BulletProof tie rods,ARBsnorkle, SyKlone prefilter,Hunner intake pipe.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:38 AM
Elcova Newbie

H3 girl is on a distinguished road

check out xtremeh2.com....
they have the lowest prices on brushguards... you can even get the SMA one.. from what I understand they made the OEM brushguard for GM...