H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

ingydrummer is on a distinguished road
Default Key will not turn in ignition switch

So, I wake up this morning and get ready for work, got into the Hummer and put the key in the switch but can't turn the key to start the truck. I have done all the normal things like turning the wheel, and jiggling the key but nothing! How the hell does this just suddenly happen? I missed a day of work for a bad switch. Now looking to see if anyone else has had this happen to them. Mine is a 2003???
Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 PM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Key will not turn in ignition switch

Did you happen to loose power or anything?
Sometimes the battery dropping power will lock up the system.

Try pulling the steering wheel column cover, under the column on the right side (as you face it) will be a lock release button. Push that in and turn the key.

Let me know if this helps
or we might have to ook at something else
Old 06-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks jsbihn, I will try that tomorrow. I just finished fixing both of my daughter's cars and I was not monitoring the forum. I did however start another thread about how to remove the covers over and under steering wheel. I don't want to screw anything else up and was not sure how to get these apart so I gave up and went to work on the kids cars. Now that Im done with that, I can focus on the Hummer. Its gonna be weird driving my daughters car to work tomorrow..lol
Old 06-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

I forgot to mention, I did not lose power. I just hopped in the truck this morning and the key would not turn. Its almost like the wrong key being put in the ignition. This really is troubling because I am starting my Vacation at the end of the week and now I have no truck to drive.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:48 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Cannot Be Rotated in the Steering Column Lock Cylinder - kw inoperative stuck - (Jan 17, 2005)
Subject: 99-05 Cadillac/Chevrolet/GMC/Hummer All Full Size Trucks and Utilities Ignition Key Cannot Be Rotated in Steering Column Lock Cylinder

Models: .

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in the PI.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Service VME
Some ignition key cylinders may not be able to rotate in the ignition cylinder housing because of a dirt build-up inside of the key tumbler housing. Very often a "Lint" type of build-up (over time) is found in the tumbler housing restricting the movement of the tumblers and not allowing the side bar on the outside of the housing to fully retract when the key is inserted into the lock cylinder. Before replacing the ignition cylinder and housing assembly, the tumblers may be able to be freed up temporarily in order for the key to rotate so the lock cylinder can be removed for cleaning. Using compressed air (60 PSI max.), or an aerosol can of Brake-Kleen, place the nozzle of the air gun or nozzle of the aerosol can at the entrance of the key cylinder. Give it a couple of short blasts of air or cleaner into the key housing. Insert the key and try to rotate the lock cylinder. This procedure may have to be repeated a couple of times to dislodge the debris. If successful, remove the key cylinder and disassemble noting the position of the key code tumblers in their respective slots for reassembly purposes. Clean the key cylinder with Brake Kleen or equivalent solvent and reassemble the key cylinder. Lightly oil the inside of the key cylinder with multipurpose lubricant. However, some key cylinders and housing assemblies may need to be replaced because of casting flash in the tumbler areas and interferes with tumbler activity and cannot be dislodged using the cleaning method. ( Note: Check for a slightly bent key as this has been known to bind the ignition lock cylinder also.)

Old 06-25-2014, 01:50 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

The steering column covers just pull apart starting with the bottom one. Need to be careful yet aggressive at the same time. Much easier if you remove steering wheel first but can be done without removing wheel.