H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
At one time they told me at Hummer School that it just does not fit so it would have to be an Isuzu motor

The Duramax is made by Isuzu!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by MarineHawk:
What is the GMT900 patform?
What's better about it?
I can find all kinds of discussions about it being incorporated into the h2 eventually, but what is it?

The new tahoe is on gmt 900 and ....The front torsion bars have been ditched in favor of suppler coil springs, recirculating ball steering gives way to a more precise (if no more communicative) rack and pinion system, and the ABS-controlled four-wheel disc brakes are upsized.

Also I think it has a wider track and 5 link rear solid axle.

Maybe the new H2 will be coil sprung up front?? I Dont know if that will improve off road or not.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan06SUT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MarineHawk:
What is the GMT900 patform?
What's better about it?
I can find all kinds of discussions about it being incorporated into the h2 eventually, but what is it?

The new tahoe is on gmt 900 and ....The front torsion bars have been ditched in favor of suppler coil springs, recirculating ball steering gives way to a more precise (if no more communicative) rack and pinion system, and the ABS-controlled four-wheel disc brakes are upsized.

Also I think it has a wider track and 5 link rear solid axle.

Maybe the new H2 will be coil sprung up front?? I Dont know if that will improve off road or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's also a fully boxed frame, new electronics, new engines and transmissions that get much better fuel economy, electric fan engine cooling, remote start, power liftgate, stabilitrak, side and head air bags, optional nav with rearview camera, etc.

Also, with the rack and pinion it will possibly help eliminate much of our steering problems
Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

Paragon, see my platform post.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Hummer Novice

Roadstar is off the scale

diesel sounds great but what's wrong with gas? What would be so beneficial? I don't think milage is such a big problem??? Am I alone on this one??? diesel is expensive to maintain isn't it???
Old 04-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

On the D-max, weight was part of the issue, but I didn't hear the reasoning, just know that it was brought up and was the last straw. The primary reason for no D-max is that with the short over hangs of the H2, the leading edge of the hood would have to come up close to 4" to fit a radiator with enough cooling capacity for that particular diesel.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a smaller 8-cylinder D-max engine.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

So I've heard.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

Claydog, did you ever finish that car? Check your PM
Old 04-26-2006, 09:53 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

JUUUUUUST DO IT!!!!!!!

My Video Collectionez

Old 04-26-2006, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roadstar:
diesel sounds great but what's wrong with gas? What would be so beneficial?
More fuel efficient, much more useable torque, far greater engine life, and it sounds cool.

Quote:
diesel is expensive to maintain isn't it???
Is it? I've never found that to be the case, especially if you look at the costs involved in runninga diesel for 500k miles compared to running a gas engine for 500k miles.

What is amazing though is how long GM have taken to get a diesel H2 to market. If Jeep put one in the JK four door first, I may just join the dark side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Diesel JK next year???????

Diesels are the shiznit. They are simple engines. There is no ignition system, they are more efficient at using fuel, they are not more expensive to maintain, if anything, in the long run, they are cheaper, wider torque band that starts much, much lower in the rpm range.

Plus they run drowned in water as long as you have an intake not ingesting the water...... ie - no electrical ignition components to get wet.

Was messing with a Jeep Liberty diesel this weekend and with the hood closed, after about 15 seconds past startup, you wouldn't know it was a diesel. Plus it came with a Red Top Optima from the factory.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
Claydog, did you ever finish that car? Check your PM

We're pulling the first set of molds this weekend. PM me your E-mail if you want to see the full set of pics
Old 04-27-2006, 02:06 AM
Hummer Authority

Alan06SUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAYDOG:
On the D-max, weight was part of the issue, but I didn't hear the reasoning, just know that it was brought up and was the last straw. The primary reason for no D-max is that with the short over hangs of the H2, the leading edge of the hood would have to come up close to 4" to fit a radiator with enough cooling capacity for that particular diesel.
Ive seen an H2 that was converted to Allison/duramax under the stock hood. It was some conversion company, maybe someone can post a link, I'm too lazy right now.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Here's something interesting. I'm at a quality conference here in Milwakee, and just happened to have breakfast with (so she says), the lead of reliability engineering at AM General for the new H2 release in '08. IF she is as she says, and she wasn't feeding me a line of BS (she seemed honest), here's some info:

The '08 will not be on the 900 platform. In fact, she said that they were specifically staying away from moving 'formally' to the 900 platform to keep distance between the H2 and the Tahoe/etc. Some things will overlap, but they aren't adopting it as a platform.

She commented that the rear overhead console (DVD) in the '08 was the same as the Tahoe, but the front of the overhead would be different. She wasn't sure about the rest of the dash.

They hadn't started any of the service costs calculations for the '08 model yet. I completely forgot to ask about the diesel, so I'll try and sit next to her tomorrow for b-fast again.

What's cool is that apparently reliability engineering is NEW to AM General. Granted, they are moving away from the H2, but at least they are building it into the '08 model changes.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Banned

Skip on the diesel question, it ain't happening. The dash would be interesting since they are re-doing it. What about the seats? Are they going to use the top level seats from the Tahoe? I heart the seats. Me lovey the seats........... Ummmmm...... Oh yeah. Ask about the steering. Will it be rack and pinion or not.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
Skip on the diesel question, it ain't happening. The dash would be interesting since they are re-doing it. What about the seats? Are they going to use the top level seats from the Tahoe? I heart the seats. Me lovey the seats........... Ummmmm...... Oh yeah. Ask about the steering. Will it be rack and pinion or not.

Seat have electronic controls.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAYDOG:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:

Seat have electronic controls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>But are they made by Lay Z Boy.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

A three page thread that does not have the Canuck and the Sasanach shaking their rattles at each other - amazing
Old 05-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy C:
A three page thread that does not have the Canuck and the Sasanach shaking their rattles at each other - amazing
go toss a caber and be done with ye