H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

View Poll Results: What should I get???
Jeep JK Rubicon 9 21.43%
Hummer H3 33 78.57%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Hummer Guru

BlueTJCO has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: JK vs H3

Jeep Wranglers interior was never meant to be flashy or upscale. It is meant to be very user friendl and simple. Hell, Chevy1500 pickups have a better interior but I'm not going to buy a 4 door jeep to impress my clients here at work with, and that seems to be where I and others dont see eye to eye. I would buy it for the trail aspect, and from my experience with other H3's on the trail, slim little $150.00 budget boost and tires, the JK will be walking circles around the H3.......

Now, Angie and I went and looked at H3's about a month ago here in Castle Rock to see if they had any incentives or if we could get a good deal.............She LOVES and LOVED the H3 but we couldnt really get them to work with us much.......

I agree that your interior is superior.......But not to start much more , but afterwards we went and looked at the Brand New Cherokee's......

SHE IS NOT A JEEP PERSON, and she thought the interior was much more refined and "nicer" then the H3.........sooooooooo, maybe, just maybe jeep knows what they are doing.......because I myself, like the utilitarian style of the Wrangler INterior......its not so ****ing cute!

I would buy the jeep for these simple facts:

The Sway-Bar disconnect from inside (This is awesome)

Ease and affordibility in lifting and modifying

Heavy duty Hybrid 44 axles

Lockers front and rear

4:1 Ratio

Great Transfer Case

Removable Top

Doors COME OFF

Front window FOLDS DOWN

Fenders ARE REMOVABLE FOR THE TRAIL

Underneath STOCK SKIDS ARE NICE

DIESEL MODEL WILL BE HERE IN 08.......!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darebren
i wonder how nice the new LR@ from landrover will be? looks like the range rover body style, and they always have great interiors.. but are pricey, and very costly to modify,not alot of aftermarket support either..

p.s., i'm married, so i always have to F my self.. it's the only way after 13 years..!

I have never been on a trail to date and seen a Land Rover struggle. They seem to do well out here........Thers is Plenty of aftermarket support, it's just damn expensive!
Old 09-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3HUMMER is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgco
That is just a jacka$$ thing to say!

Wouldn't you want to take pics of that?

Anyhow, i too like the looks of the exterior and after seeing one lifted, I think it looks bada$$. Time will tell wich vehicle will be more reliable, but off road, i think they will be very comparable stock.

Here is your jeep.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...58493841477856

nice fake one in that pic you posted
Old 09-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Lex_Ordo

Wow! That just does one thing...

Suck! I feel bad for the owner. That will cost a few dollars to repair.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Hummer Novice

Nextlife is on a distinguished road

Well, I've owned and built 3 different TJ's (one Rubicon 2 door) before I bought an H3 adv/lux. The H3 is a nicer rig no doubt. It doesn't rattle, the interior is way beyond what a wrangler offers. I've been following the JK though.

Trail rides aside, If rockcrawling ( a fast growing sport) is your thing, you'd best go the JK. The JK (rubi ed.) was flattly designed for this in mind. The jeep engineers listened to the jeep owner's thoughts on how to make the TJ better and they really did a great job on the JK. You'll never see an H3 make it through the Hammer's in JV. You'll see tons of JKs there in no time flat. With a simple swap of coils (4 lift) and shocks basically on the JK you can stuff in 37" tires! Jeeps are easier to re-gear (and find gears) for those tires too! There's other things, nothing really hangs below the frame rails now on JKs, the gas tank has been relocated, frame is even stronger now. Longer control arms will help it climb and articulate much better than the TJ did. Front locker too.

However, if you go JK, you'll never get the same ride of an IFS front rig, and you'll never see a wrangler with leather from the factory! The H3 is a very capable 4x4, but just isn't designed with rockcrawling (Hammer's style) in mind, even with a lift. Its wider, longer and the front diff (lacking a locker too) just isn't strong enough in my opinion for that kind of abuse. I can't imagine lifting a H3 onto 37" tires, and trying to do heavy rockcrawling, that front diff will pop fairly easy, and easier if you regear (pinion will get weak with a regear due to size). Throw in a front locker and those 37" tires, i'd bet it busts on the first foot tall rock you try to climb. It wasn't designed for that. They may solve this with the H3 alpha from what others are saying though.

I'll never part with my H3 (except for an alpha!). Its just too nice of a ride, no rattles, nice interior and still plenty capable to get me through nasty snowy/icy roads. It beats the crap out of any landrover, yota, BMW, Porche, lexus, Merc, and even jeep grand! But in the very serious rockcrawling world, you can't beat a Wrangler, you just don't get some of the creature features like leather and the buff hummer look. I also can't stand the new fenders on the JK. Lost on the retro look I guess.

Last edited by Nextlife : 09-29-2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Here ya go, for those that seem somewhat confused on the specs of the 2.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/jeep/wrangler/100782109/VehicleComparison;jsessionid=FdBMQ1NQBvX4Q6J3F47pC p0VFWbFJlJRXPZhC3ZxLGZC7QtvWy6f!1259065661?basesty leid=100782109&styleid=100761083&styleid=100688147 &maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=specs
Old 09-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextlife
Well, I've owned and built 3 different TJ's (one Rubicon 2 door) before I bought an H3 adv/lux. The H3 is a nicer rig no doubt. It doesn't rattle, the interior is way beyond what a wrangler offers. I've been following the JK though.

Trail rides aside, If rockcrawling ( a fast growing sport) is your thing, you'd best go the JK. The JK (rubi ed.) was flattly designed for this in mind. The jeep engineers listened to the jeep owner's thoughts on how to make the TJ better and they really did a great job on the JK. You'll never see an H3 make it through the Hammer's in JV. You'll see tons of JKs there in no time flat. With a simple swap of coils (4 lift) and shocks basically on the JK you can stuff in 37" tires! Jeeps are easier to re-gear (and find gears) for those tires too! There's other things, nothing really hangs below the frame rails now on JKs, the gas tank has been relocated, frame is even stronger now. Longer control arms will help it climb and articulate much better than the TJ did. Front locker too.

However, if you go JK, you'll never get the same ride of an IFS front rig, and you'll never see a wrangler with leather from the factory! The H3 is a very capable 4x4, but just isn't designed with rockcrawling (Hammer's style) in mind, even with a lift. Its wider, longer and the front diff (lacking a locker too) just isn't strong enough in my opinion for that kind of abuse. I can't imagine lifting a H3 onto 37" tires, and trying to do heavy rockcrawling, that front diff will pop fairly easy, and easier if you regear (pinion will get weak with a regear due to size). Throw in a front locker and those 37" tires, i'd bet it busts on the first foot tall rock you try to climb. It wasn't designed for that. They may solve this with the H3 alpha from what others are saying though.

I'll never part with my H3 (except for an alpha!). Its just too nice of a ride, no rattles, nice interior and still plenty capable to get me through nasty snowy/icy roads. It beats the crap out of any landrover, yota, BMW, Porche, lexus, Merc, and even jeep grand! But in the very serious rockcrawling world, you can't beat a Wrangler, you just don't get some of the creature features like leather and the buff hummer look. I also can't stand the new fenders on the JK. Lost on the retro look I guess.

dammmmmnnnnn, I like you....Thanks for the reading
Old 09-30-2006, 05:30 AM
Hummer Guru

The Green Lantern is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Lorenz
I am looking at the new Jeep Wrangler JK and am leaning toward it from what I have read on it. It seems much more capable than the H3 in stock form. I really like it because it is a solid axle. I am not much on the IFS. Has anyone had any issues with their H3 IFS? Why should I choose an H3 over the JK. By the way I would wait for the Rubicon edition.

Nice avatar!
Old 09-30-2006, 05:39 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Lorenz
I am looking at the new Jeep Wrangler JK and am leaning toward it from what I have read on it. It seems much more capable than the H3 in stock form. I really like it because it is a solid axle. I am not much on the IFS. Has anyone had any issues with their H3 IFS? Why should I choose an H3 over the JK. By the way I would wait for the Rubicon edition.

if you wanna go old school military style get the heep , if you want new-guard style get the HUMMER
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 09-30-2006, 04:09 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Moon, are you certain the door do come off on the 4 door like the TJ did?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:21 PM
Hummer Novice

G-Hummer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncricket
Who are you

Well I have been trying to avoid the subject for many years but now I have to come clean right here on this Hummer Forum...I'm your Daddy

Old 09-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncricket
dammmmmnnnnn, I like you....Thanks for the reading

Aww, I think he's in love!

Anyway, any moron who picks the a Jeep over the H3... If you want a rock crawler, save yourself some money, and go buy an old or already mod'd Jeep. There are PLENTY to go around...

And there is NO way the Grand Cherokee has a better interior than the H3. The rear seat is a great example. It's like a park bench. And forget about putting anything in there, the roof is too slanted.

But this is off topic. Back on topic, I believe I need to go drive a new Wrangler to see what it's really like. My prediction is it will ride like crap, and no matter how good it is on the trail, it's on-road performance will make it extremely unfriendly. A Hummer is designed to mix the best of both worlds, and that's the way I like it. It's a more awesome trail rig in that respect because it is the all-in-one. Sure, you compromise somewhere, but you come out with a great all around package. You can get there comfortably, go just about anywhere with comfy leather seats, a great sound system, lots of room for junk, and then point home and have a very composed, easy to drive vehicle on the highway. No loud noise, bouncy suspension, etc.

And no one will follow you expecting you're the MC some gay pride parade!

Last edited by BlueHUMMERH2 : 09-30-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Hummer Guru

I would like to have them both........someday!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone posted the same question on the Jeep Forum. If so, how long has the thread lasted? If it lasted more than a day, how many intelligent replies were added versus how many obscene comments by Jeep owners on that Forum?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:35 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Has anyone posted the same question on the Jeep Forum. If so, how long has the thread lasted? If it lasted more than a day, how many intelligent replies were added versus how many obscene comments by Jeep owners on that Forum?
There was one. I saw it for a total of 38 seconds and it was deleted. The author was also banned.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
There was one. I saw it for a total of 38 seconds and it was deleted. The author was also banned.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:36 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHUMMERH2

Anyway, any moron who picks the a Jeep over the H3... If you want a rock crawler, save yourself some money, and go buy an old or already mod'd Jeep. There are PLENTY to go around...

And there is NO way the Grand Cherokee has a better interior than the H3. The rear seat is a great example. It's like a park bench. And forget about putting anything in there, the roof is too slanted.

Hey dicwad, I said "she" liked the interior better.........
Old 10-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:

Yes, they come off the front and the rear actually
Old 10-02-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHUMMERH2

But this is off topic. Back on topic, I believe I need to go drive a new Wrangler to see what it's really like. My prediction is it will ride like crap, and no matter how good it is on the trail, it's on-road performance will make it extremely unfriendly. A Hummer is designed to mix the best of both worlds, and that's the way I like it. It's a more awesome trail rig in that respect because it is the all-in-one. Sure, you compromise somewhere, but you come out with a great all around package. You can get there comfortably, go just about anywhere with comfy leather seats, a great sound system, lots of room for junk, and then point home and have a very composed, easy to drive vehicle on the highway. No loud noise, bouncy suspension, etc.

And no one will follow you expecting you're the MC some gay pride parade!
Too bad you're stupid and your prediction will be wrong.

The JK rides just as good as or better than the H3.

Too bad so many speak from their ass and not from experience.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Very certain they come of. And come off very easily.

There's even a little access panel to unplug the wiring harness so that when the doors are off you don't see anything exposed.

Now, the question is. Who is going to be the first person to come up with something to "plug" into the window wiring harness to work something while the doors are off.