H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

PHATBOYPIMP is off the scale
Default Slide out Mirror/Back-up Camera

I have searched extensively and this question doesn't appear to have been asked.

I have found an OEM back up camera system that includes the slide out mirror, wiring harness and camera that came stock on later model SUV and SUT's.

It appears the camera will require some drilling and would have to route the harness through the truck but does anyone know if I will have any problems "installing" the actual mirror itself on an 06 H2?

Hard to tell from the pictures if they "mount" to the car differently. Anyone done this?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: Slide out Mirror/Back-up Camera

Due to the overwhelming resonse I decided to do this install anyway. I ordered the OEM kit and the install was flawless. The kit came with the camera, wiring harness and the mirror.

It was bastically plug and play, I ran the wiring harness (which had all of the OEM clips in the right places) up the frame rail next to the other OEM harness, cut the holes for the camera, slid the new mirror in place and connected it up.

We were surprised that the "back up switch" was already wired into the existing mirror set up as the camera engaged in reverse without us doing any integration.

Awesome upgrade for only $400 and not having to integrate with the existing nav/radio set up.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

I have never understood the use of a backup camera. If you have an H2, I would think you'd know how to use the outside mirrors!

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 07-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschett
I have never understood the use of a backup camera. If you have an H2, I would think you'd know how to use the outside mirrors!

For one, my girlfriend drives my H2 most of the time and she does a lot of parallel parking, so this will help her a lot. Secondly, since I use my truck every weekend for towing, it helps TREMENDOUSLY in backing up and aligning the trailer and trailer ball.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:12 AM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATBOYPIMP
For one, my girlfriend drives my H2 most of the time and she does a lot of parallel parking, so this will help her a lot. Secondly, since I use my truck every weekend for towing, it helps TREMENDOUSLY in backing up and aligning the trailer and trailer ball.
Once again, that's what the outside mirrors are for. Parallel parking, backing up a trailer, fundamental driving skills.

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 07-14-2009, 01:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

whatever
Old 07-14-2009, 03:42 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

well for a second opinion, I think having an H2 without the backup cam is just asking for an accident.

backing up to the trailer is a cake walk...all teh way to dropping that ball under the tounge.

off road it's very nice to have when backing

little kids running around in parking lots and parallel parking? that cam makes it easy.

I don;t care how good someone "sais" they are utlizing your mirrors, you can't see the blind spots with teh factory mirrors.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATBOYPIMP
Due to the overwhelming resonse I decided to do this install anyway. I ordered the OEM kit and the install was flawless. The kit came with the camera, wiring harness and the mirror.

It was bastically plug and play, I ran the wiring harness (which had all of the OEM clips in the right places) up the frame rail next to the other OEM harness, cut the holes for the camera, slid the new mirror in place and connected it up.

We were surprised that the "back up switch" was already wired into the existing mirror set up as the camera engaged in reverse without us doing any integration.

Awesome upgrade for only $400 and not having to integrate with the existing nav/radio set up.

you should do a writeup on this and list up what part numbers you need to order. I think that info. would be benficial for those considering doing this mod.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

transam95 is on a distinguished road

yes i have a 05 and i would be very interested
Old 07-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

badss98 is on a distinguished road

just yesterday my wife parked in a curbed parking spot and some yahoo parked directly behind here in a kia- needless she did not even know he was there.When she backed up she crushed his hood and bumper just moving 2 feet-no damage to our h2 but the stupid a.. that parked behind her was within 2 inces of rear tire carrier-michigan no fault for him-but new frontend parts and ohio insurance claim for us.A scamm for sure-Since this little crush job i think a backup camera will be my next investment even though a crushed kia is no loss to anyone.

2007 h3 base,rear dvd,tinted windows,leveling kit,silver with painted stock wheels,carbon fiber hoodvent and lettering, Daily driver
Old 07-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

LOL. Hey Pimp what year is your H2. And I write up would be great
Old 07-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

I will work on a write up this weekend. I have lost my camera....if it isn't in my boat I will have to pick up a new one. I will also take shots of the tranny cooler install I am putting in this weekend. Sorry for the delay. Transam - mine is 2006.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

THAT would be good Pimp Im doing the tranny cooler soon would u recommend the bypass or non bypass
Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

My understanding is that if you have mild to harsh winters you should do the bypass. Since I am in Northern California I opted against the bypass.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Hummer Professional

wingn69 is on a distinguished road

I like the back-up cameras over here in Germany they drive all those small cars and tight parking spaces and I dont care how long you have been driving it helps to be able to see behind you were the mirrors cant get to.

On that note my wireless camera died last winter. I have a new camera wired one that I want to install myself but I haven't found a good place to run the wiring from the back to the front and help or tips would be nice. The wirelss one was junk and I had a installer hook it up for me. I need info on running the AV cable from the back plate to the radio.
2006 H2 Slate Blue LUX with more chorme, K&N 77 Series Intake, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT325/55R22, 22in polished chrome rims, Kenwood DNX-7200 w/ Garmin Navi, DVD, Bluetooth, IPOD,Rockford Fosegate Punch 10in P-1 Subs, Rockford Fosegate Punch P-300 amp,7" headrest monitors, Carbon Fiber Dash kit, 17 Flip down Monitor, Borla exhaust.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

Vark is on a distinguished road

I bought the same setup for my '07. My rear bumper doesn't have holes for the camera (you can order one with holes there already), but I figured, a little drilling wouldn't hurt. I haven't gotten the kit yet, but mine comes with some sort of instructions.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

TOI-MAT is on a distinguished road

Where did you guys purchase the slide-out mirror?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Hummer Professional

wingn69 is on a distinguished road

My is not a slide out type mine hooks to my head unit AV jack. Its a simple install once you find the path to get into the Hummer. I can get past the rear bumper but getting up into the cab of the Hummer is stopping me not sure the best route. I didnt want to have to drill a whole in the body of the truck.
2006 H2 Slate Blue LUX with more chorme, K&N 77 Series Intake, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT325/55R22, 22in polished chrome rims, Kenwood DNX-7200 w/ Garmin Navi, DVD, Bluetooth, IPOD,Rockford Fosegate Punch 10in P-1 Subs, Rockford Fosegate Punch P-300 amp,7" headrest monitors, Carbon Fiber Dash kit, 17 Flip down Monitor, Borla exhaust.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

badss98 is on a distinguished road

I just purchased the slide out camera from boulder accessories on ebay for 275 which seemed to be a good price. The install manual is a terrible copy if someone has the same camera with install manual i could use a copy to get better directions Thanks

2007 h3 base,rear dvd,tinted windows,leveling kit,silver with painted stock wheels,carbon fiber hoodvent and lettering, Daily driver
Old 08-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

Vark is on a distinguished road

I got my kit, same crappy instructions, oh well. I will be installing it tomorrow, we'll see what happens. Does your bumper have holes?
Got mine for 250 shipped!