H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

smileynialley is on a distinguished road
Default wind rattle over 70mph

As the title suggests, whenever i reach 70mph or above, there is an anoying rattle coming from the drivers side front dash area.
It must be coming from the outside of the car because i've tried to push the dashboard in several places when it's rattling and there are no noise changes.
Nothing on the outside appears to be loose but i suspect the wind is causing some of the plastic around the wiper arms to rattle against the body.
anyone have something similar?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wind rattle over 70mph

Check this out...I had this posted in another thread...
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=42339

DESCRIPTION:
Some trucks exhibit a rattle in the vicinity of the A-pillar when driving at highway speeds. This is typically due to the wind vibrating the exterior molding on the A-pillar where it lies against the windshield. The specific part(s) in question are “MOLDING. Windshield Garnish & Reveal (PN 25869091 & 25869092)” and are depicted in the below illustration as 6, 7, and 8.

From a technical service bulletin: “A large number of H2 "A" pillar reveal moldings have been returned through the Warranty Parts Return Center with the customer complaint of a "rattle". The molding should not be replaced for this condition. Remove the molding and place double sided tape under the entire inboard edge where the molding contacts the windshield. Clean the windshield where the tape will make contact and reinstall the molding. This is, in fact, a more reliable repair than replacing the molding.”

REPAIR:
  1. Open the front door on the side of the truck where the noise is noticed
  2. Remove the two screws which secure the molding to the vehicle
  3. Remove the molding
  4. Place double sided tape under the entire inboard edge where the molding contacts the windshield
  5. Clean the windshield where the tape will make contact
  6. Reinstall the molding

COST: $5-10
  • 3M Molding Tape

TIME: 1 person, 30 minutes (DIY)

RESOURCE THREADS:
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=9822
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25167

Old 10-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

If you own your H2 long enough you'll have those plastic windshield trim pieces buzzing. My second buzz came after a windshield replacement when they didn't use double tape on the side plastic windshield trim. My first buzz and rattle came with the factory windshield after two years and the Hummer dealership took off the side piece by the windshield and squirted mastic under it. Taking them off yourself is not an easy or quick job IMHO.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Hummer Professional

iwillnc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerJim
If you own your H2 long enough you'll have those plastic windshield trim pieces buzzing. My second buzz came after a windshield replacement when they didn't use double tape on the side plastic windshield trim. My first buzz and rattle came with the factory windshield after two years and the Hummer dealership took off the side piece by the windshield and squirted mastic under it. Taking them off yourself is not an easy or quick job IMHO.

I don't understand when everyone says they are difficult to remove, I've removed mine on both sides twice before I just said screw it and rtv'd them.

To remove them I just unscrewed the 2 bolts which are easily accesible, pushed up on the trim piece and it came out in my hands, the hardest part was walking 5 feet to get the screwdriver
Old 10-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

I first ran into this issue driving up north to Sedona, we litterally couldn't hear the radio going 85mph over the ratting....it was insanely loud!

I just last week finished wiring up all my roof lights and decided to pop the trim off again. I just used cheapo double sticky foam, the thin stuff so we'll see how it works in November when we head up there again.

As mentioned above to remove them open the doors, pull the weatherstripping off around the edge, its also connected at the very bottom of the trim piece. You have to grab the weatherstrip and pull it forward to get it off the tab. Remove the 2 screws and they come right off.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Luv2Camp is on a distinguished road

I had something similar that the dealer was not able to duplicate. I thought it was coming from the dash or upper windshield area. What I found was that on my crossbars, there was some velcro pads and one of them was hanging off and touching against the roof. For TWO years, that rattle DROVE ME NUTS. Took off the velcro and noise gone
Old 10-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Another old post on the rattle repair....with pictures You really don't have to remove the fake air intakes. There are also a bunch of solutions as to what to use versus the 3M two sided tape.

Good luck, Ed

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16756