H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road
Default Have you kept your Onstar?

After not having it the last two years, I've been plagued by GM with mailings to renew my Onstar. I didn't renew it after the free service ended. I have a cell phone so I don't use the Onstar calling, never used the Onstar directory service, the one time I called with a question about the back window going down on it's own in the SUT the Onstar "expert" had no idea but did schedule me an appointment at the dealer, and I found the monthly reports of little use.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Hummer Professional

s_c5519 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Have you kept your Onstar?

Not only did I not keep it, I just pulled the fuses out of the H2 and my new vette. In the vette the other day, a taped message came on out of nowhere at full volume and scared the heck outta us!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

Hi i used it one time to turn it on then never used it again and after 3 months free never started the service. I use my cell phone to.

2008 H2 SUV
Starr Hid projector headlights
Hid lights in the DRL bumper holes
Custom Alum. light bar, 2 Rigid Industries 10 inch Leds
MC2 Roof Light Bar
24 inch Starr 770 Hammer Rims
Gen 6 Lockpick
Gm bluetooth
Front + Rear Camera's

73 Duster 588 ci. B1 injected akly with NOS
Supercharged 2002 Harley, E Glide Classic
2005 Screamin Eagle, E Glide

http://twrbaggersplus.com/
Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

I still have it but we have ALWAYS had Onstar in our vehicles. Its not only calling, directions, questions, etc the major benefit is emergency response if you're in an accident. I could care less about the other stuff but if your unable to respond at least you know emergency services are on the way.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:54 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road

is there a storage cubby that replaces the onstar box in the dash?
also is there a way to make onstar a speaker phone for our cell phones?
(ie my father can talk on the phone when driving by pushing a button on his car stereo- given it isnt onstar but i am just asking if it has the ability like that)
Old 03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I've kept it on the H2 because of our experience with hurricane Katrina. In the summer of 2005 my H3 was brand new and we were visiting my wife's parents in Baton Rouge, LA. When the warnings came out we decided to head home early and couldn't make any calls on either of our cell phones because the lines were jammed and the highway was averaging 15 mph, but we got right through with the Onstar calling and had no problems calling our sons when our cell phones were useless for almost two days. I even got an update on what gas stations were open and pumping gas south of Jackson, Mississippi from Onstar. I found in an emergency it was worth every penny.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:39 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerMann
After not having it the last two years, I've been plagued by GM with mailings to renew my Onstar. I didn't renew it after the free service ended. I have a cell phone so I don't use the Onstar calling, never used the Onstar directory service, the one time I called with a question about the back window going down on it's own in the SUT the Onstar "expert" had no idea but did schedule me an appointment at the dealer, and I found the monthly reports of little use.
Nope...I kept it for the first year, then yanked it to use the space for CB/carpc components. I fabbed a blank plate out of the OnStar bezel to cover the opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
is there a storage cubby that replaces the onstar box in the dash?
also is there a way to make onstar a speaker phone for our cell phones?
(ie my father can talk on the phone when driving by pushing a button on his car stereo- given it isnt onstar but i am just asking if it has the ability like that)
Yep...GM part number 15200468.
Item number 30 in the diagram: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...ssembly=392711

Last edited by guruerror : 03-20-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Elcova Newbie

hamana605 is on a distinguished road

Recently I found Onstar is drawing around 200mA current when key off. So, if the decision is no longer to use, then better pulling the fuse out.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

Z06RB is on a distinguished road

I have kept the emergency part but have not renewed the phone minutes on both the H2 and Corvette.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 AM
Hummer Professional

wingn69 is on a distinguished road

I have been wondering about the onstar myself I have been living in Germany and I could not use it but now back state side and was thinking about getting it turned on never used it not even sure if it works. Im out in Oklahoma now and there are long distances between towns and Im thinking the tracking part is not a bad idea if you break down.
2006 H2 Slate Blue LUX with more chorme, K&N 77 Series Intake, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT325/55R22, 22in polished chrome rims, Kenwood DNX-7200 w/ Garmin Navi, DVD, Bluetooth, IPOD,Rockford Fosegate Punch 10in P-1 Subs, Rockford Fosegate Punch P-300 amp,7" headrest monitors, Carbon Fiber Dash kit, 17 Flip down Monitor, Borla exhaust.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

I used it for remotely unlocking the doors once, that was scary to think they can unlock your doors from anywhere and open the microphone and listen in with police approval of course. I guess now they can even shut down the engine if it is reported stolen. But when they went digital I never had mine upgraded, but I don't think I will pay $90.00 for a storage compartment If money is no object try researching Bluestar that uses the microphone and speakers for cell calls.
http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html

Last edited by mbdougl : 03-21-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

markdoddridge is on a distinguished road

I used it periodically to make prank calls, once my minutes expired i didnt renew them. That was like 4 years ago lol
Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM

Leave it to my maryland h2 "truck" brother to come forth with my answers again.

Thank you

So is pulling the OnStar head unit just pulling out the box that is in the dash or is it more to it ((ie. like some navi systems you have to pull out the nav system in the dash and there is another unit under the seat too))
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdougl
I used it for remotely unlocking the doors once, that was scary to think they can unlock your doors from anywhere and open the microphone and listen in with police approval of course. I guess now they can even shut down the engine if it is reported stolen. But when they went digital I never had mine upgraded, but I don't think I will pay $90.00 for a storage compartment If money is no object try researching Bluestar that uses the microphone and speakers for cell calls.
http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html

Not to start any flame wars but you say you wont pay 90 dollars for a storage box, but you will pay 300 for something a 20 dollar blue tooth headset can do (and you arent tethered to the car until the call is done)?
I mean I agree it is a cool option, but I had "BMW concierge" in my m3 (basically BMW onstar kinda and allowed for phone calls too) and it was great, but it became a hassle when I was talking on the phone and wanted to leave the car. Now I have good pair of skull candy headphones on me at all times. awesome stereo sound and i can talk to people and since they are isolation type buds (the ones that go deep in your ears) I can hear every word.

Sometimes the best thing isnt more, but actually less :-p
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbihn
Leave it to my maryland h2 "truck" brother to come forth with my answers again.

Thank you

So is pulling the OnStar head unit just pulling out the box that is in the dash or is it more to it ((ie. like some navi systems you have to pull out the nav system in the dash and there is another unit under the seat too))
LOL...

Nope it's just that box in the dash. The only hidden thing like that I've found on these trucks (besides the amp in the base of the console) is the XM tuner behind the glove box.

SIDE NOTE: You'll play hell finding that part though...I tried to track that compartment down a few years ago and it was like the part had never been made. They kept saying "it's on back order" but it never materialized; then they stopped production on the truck altogether. Good luck.

Does anyone on the forum even have an H2 that didn't come with OnStar from the factory? I wouldn't be surprised if that part never went into production.

Last edited by guruerror : 03-21-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:45 AM
Hummer Professional

iwillnc is on a distinguished road

^ Kind of like to illusive center console rubber mat, the coin holder that's listed on gm parts direct, the hood prop that's listed in a lot of breakdowns, and of course the underhood light.

I have however seen a center console mat before, it was in a H2 in europe though
Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

I installed the Bluestar 2010 today not to difficult and definitely like it better than messing with a tangled up set of ear buds. Actually, I found that just mounting my phone on the dash and using the speakerphone works good as a hands free option also. Still, I like having the technology in my old 04.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
LOL...

Nope it's just that box in the dash. The only hidden thing like that I've found on these trucks (besides the amp in the base of the console) is the XM tuner behind the glove box.

SIDE NOTE: You'll play hell finding that part though...I tried to track that compartment down a few years ago and it was like the part had never been made. They kept saying "it's on back order" but it never materialized; then they stopped production on the truck altogether. Good luck.

Does anyone on the forum even have an H2 that didn't come with OnStar from the factory? I wouldn't be surprised if that part never went into production.

I wondering if this part or part number can be cross referenced to another part similar in the GM line that can be used.

IE. I am sure the GM trucks had cubbies and I can see a cubby being completely different from vehicle to vehicle within the same parts line.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

Where are the fuses you pull to power down the Onstar?

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

Luv2Camp is on a distinguished road

Yanked my unit out of the dash on my 2006 and put in a tv monitor that slides out. Hooked this up to a remote camera mounted on the rear of my camper bumper. Now I can see behind the camper when I tow without having to use any mirror extenders