Wed 4/23
Existing Sales

Thurs 4/24
Durable Orders
New Home Sales

Fri 4/25
Sentiment

Investors Shift Back to Stocks

Investors became more comfortable during the week that the worst of the credit crisis has passed, and that turned out to be bad news for mortgage markets. While it may seem counterintuitive, the credit crisis originally drove conforming mortgage rates lower. During the early stages of the credit crisis, investors responded to the uncertainty by shifting funds to relatively less risky assets such as bonds, including agency mortgage backed securities. Now they are reversing their portfolios back to a more typical allocation. In general, that means buying more stocks and selling bonds. The stock market surged during the week, while mortgage rates jumped.

The monthly inflation data was expected to be the week's major story, and all through the week Fed officials talked up the threat of higher future inflation. The Fed's Fisher, in particular, warned "against inflating our way" out of the credit crisis and suggested that further rate cuts may just "compound the problem". The actual results contained few surprises, however. As expected, the March Core Consumer Price Index increased at a 2.4% annual rate, which is higher than the Fed would like to see. With energy prices at record highs, the inflation threat must be taken seriously. As a result, investor expectations for the number and size of future Fed rate cuts diminished.

In the housing sector, March Housing Starts fell to 947K, far below the consensus forecast, and the lowest level since March 1991. Building Permits, a leading indicator for future housing market activity, showed similar declines. Analysts consider a drop in the construction of new homes to be a vital step for the housing market to turn higher. Rising inventories of unsold homes are a drag on prices, and a smaller supply of new homes will help reduce the surplus.

Also Notable:
  • The Fed's Beige Book reported that the residential mortgage market has shown signs of stabilization over the past month
  • The Fed's Yellen expects the housing decline to be "a major drag" on the economy for the rest of the year
  • In its annual report, OFHEO, the regulator of Fannie and Freddie, acknowledged many reforms at the two companies
  • Oil prices climbed to record levels above $115 per barrel, up from $70 p/b in August
Average 30 yr fixed rate:
Last week:-0.05%
This week:+0.37%

Stocks (weekly):
Dow:12,826+407
NASDAQ:2,399+79

Week Ahead

Next week's Economic Calendar will be extremely light. Existing Home Sales will come out on Wednesday and New Home Sales on Thursday. These are important indicators of housing market activity. Thursday's Durable Orders report will shed some light on the health of the economy. Consumer Sentiment will round out the week on Friday. With the next Fed meeting scheduled for April 30, next week's economic data may struggle to have an impact.

admin@corefinancegroup.com.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale
Default Re: Mortgage Times

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/markets_oil_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Oil prices hit a record high $117 a barrel Friday as jitters over Nigerian oil supplies outweighed a rally in the dollar and fears of an economic slowdown in giant energy consumer China.
U.S. light crude settled up $1.83 at $116.96 a barrel, before hitting a record $117. London Brent crude gained $1.49 to $113.92.
Oil prices have more than quadrupled since 2002 as supply struggles to keep up with booming demand, especially in China and other emerging economies
Old 04-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mortgage Times

And yet we keep driving Hummers....

What is wrong with me?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale
Lightbulb Re: Mortgage Times

Adam in CO,

You make a good point and I think I understand why you made it. WE all continue to drive the Hummers WE Love so much because we have the right to do it. I kind of think of my H2 in the same terms as most know the saying "they will get my guns when they pry them from my cold dead fingers". I feel sort of the same way about my show Queen.

I do not get to drive her every day but, it is like new all over each time. So not having the rig to drive daily is not to bad a deal I guess.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges