H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-25-2002, 11:30 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Ever seen a cowboy with "CLOTH" chaps or a Motorcycle Racer with a "CLOTH" suit. Of course not they all wear leather cuz it wears like STEEL.
I have a Dodge Caravan that is 5 years old - 3 Kids and 100,000 mile and that cheap dodge leather looks like new! Of course I went with Leather what else would I do!
Old 11-26-2002, 05:45 AM

sheag is off the scale

OK, another woman's point of view. I dive and surf and offroad I really don't want leather. The saltwater and other crap is going to trash it. However, I want to drive my H2 off the lot in the next week, and nearly all of the dealer inventory around here has the Luxury package with the leather seats, so it looks like I'm getting leather whether I like it or not. I probably will get the seat covers even though I don't really like the way they look.

I agree that the leather is nothing special in the H2. Personally if I had a choice that didn't involve a custom order and a 2 month wait, I'd skip the leather and spend that money on some customizations or take a trip with my new H2. :-)

Shea
Old 11-26-2002, 02:10 PM

SJ is off the scale

I too wanted cloth, but the first H2s out of the factory all had leather. My concern was also in that leather takes a beating when exposed to water, whereas 3M ScotchGuard works wonders at protecting cloth from the same elements.

All said an done, I like the leather seats; they're comfortable on long trips, but I don't know how they'll hold-up over the years.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 11-26-2002, 04:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dennis is off the scale

We currently have two Ford Explorers, one with leather and one with cloth. The cloth seats are covered (no...impregnated!) with dog hair. Our Great Dane just has to hang out in the car for a few minutes and the cloth seats act like a fur magnet. When we got our F250 Crew Cab we decided leather was the only way for us and it's worked out fine. We had a local person sew up a seat cover--just the bottom part--very inexpensively so Rosebud's (she weighs 170 lbs. but the name fits her personality) paws don't get things unduly muddy.
Has anyone tried the black slip-on seat covers from Hummer? Thought those looked interesting.

-Dennis
Old 11-26-2002, 08:29 PM
Hummer Professional

ratesguy is off the scale

I have leather in all my cars and wouldn't consider anything else. It is more resistant to punctures and tears and cleans easily. I even have real connelly hides in one of my cars. The h2 is thicker. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2002, 07:25 PM

seatcoverspecialties is off the scale

Get leather for resale value and then buy a high end seat cover.
Custom Neoprene, cloth or vinyl or even Sheepskin if your not going to be getting it too wet.

Leather is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. As a few people have mentioned earlier typical General Motors leather is of a very low quality when compared with other manufacturers. I constantly have customers buying seat covers because their leather is trashed in 2 to 3 years on GM vehicles.
We have been producing custom seat covers for 18 years. We recently did a pair of custom sheepskins for a customer on her new H2. Needless to say she was very pleased.
Attached Images