H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-17-2002, 01:29 AM

Location: In the Deep South, Along the Shore of the Flint River
HummerGirl is off the scale

okay folks I need a major refresher on my off roading skills....remember I was the shotgun-honey in college and the "boys" drove the trucks while us girlies just pretty much told the guys "I told you were gonna get stuck and to go around that tree..."

So the Hummer is a new beast with lots of cool buttons. My other off road vehicle..don't laugh it was used to pull my pottery trailer to arts and crafts shows...was a Montero with 4 wheel drive. The four wheel drive on it was a pain to shift in and out of. I think I only had one option like the ML I sold for the Hummer.

So I guess what I am asking about is other than nice soft dirt or sand, When do I need to use the other options? And this traction control is new as well...never had that option on the other vehicles.

Like I said it has been years since I have done the really nitty gritty stuff and just wondering about more extreme conditions as heavy snow and mud. Hopefully we might get to see some in the mountains this weekend as we are going above the Blue Ridge Mountains to a family cabin.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:29 AM

okay folks I need a major refresher on my off roading skills....remember I was the shotgun-honey in college and the "boys" drove the trucks while us girlies just pretty much told the guys "I told you were gonna get stuck and to go around that tree..."

So the Hummer is a new beast with lots of cool buttons. My other off road vehicle..don't laugh it was used to pull my pottery trailer to arts and crafts shows...was a Montero with 4 wheel drive. The four wheel drive on it was a pain to shift in and out of. I think I only had one option like the ML I sold for the Hummer.

So I guess what I am asking about is other than nice soft dirt or sand, When do I need to use the other options? And this traction control is new as well...never had that option on the other vehicles.

Like I said it has been years since I have done the really nitty gritty stuff and just wondering about more extreme conditions as heavy snow and mud. Hopefully we might get to see some in the mountains this weekend as we are going above the Blue Ridge Mountains to a family cabin.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:43 AM

kelleymac2000 is off the scale

If you CAN get there in 4-Hi, use it. That way if you get stuck, you've got 4-Lo and other options to get yourself out of it.

From what I've learned:
on major inclines (up and down) use 4-Lo, 1st gear. The truck will moderate speed for you pretty well. (this takes a LOT of getting used to...I tend to want to ride the brakes on the way down, but if you trust your H2, it'll get the job done.)

Engaging your e-locker will cause both rear tires to spin together. This will work in really soft/deep sand, and give you the extra pull you need uphill in many cases.

Hope this helps, I'm sure the "boys" will pile on!

Kelley

P.S. Have fun in the snow...I'll be jealous!
Old 12-17-2002, 02:07 AM

oh yeah...learned about not using the brakes from my dad. He used to yell at me for laying on the brakes on steep declines. Learned my lesson as the brakes gave out (got too hot) in the mountains one time.

I still to this day use the gears to slow down. It's a hard habit to break!!! no pun intended there!!!!

The electronic locker I am most curious about. That and the traction control. I can see it now on the next off road adventure. Have an index card of options like reading the controls for a microwave oven!!!

Does the H2 require shifting into neutral for the changes from Hi to Lo...this is different for me bc all the other 4 wheelers I had were not all time 4 wheel drive.

Accckkk I am so rusty. Thanks Kelly!

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
Old 12-17-2002, 02:18 AM

JJ is off the scale

Kelley says it all "If you CAN get there in 4-Hi, use it. That way if you get stuck, you've got 4-Lo and other options to get yourself out of it." This is an excellent rule of thumb especially if you are new to off-roading and are developing your skills.

I learned the "use 4 Lo and 1st gear" rule when descending a steep hill and it is highly recommended that you stay off of the brakes as much as possible (of course, you have to be there to determine the degree of braking you should or shouldn't apply) - this can cause side travel of the vehicle and potentially a roll over.

The TC2 feature is an added bonus in that it will allow limited wheel spin. When in mud and sand this can limit a wheel from digging a hole.

Oh, another good rule of thumb - don't hesistate to get out of the vehicle (in a safe condition) and walk the route you are about to traverse - especially important in driving through water and when approaching a hill in which you can't see whats on the other side.

There are excellent books on general off-roading basics that you might want to consider - several are available on Amazon.

JJ
Old 12-17-2002, 02:47 AM

Thanks JJ...this is gonna be fun with me in the driver's seat for a change. I'm not new to off roading but new to getting to drive!!! YEAH!!! Finally I get to listen to someone else wanting to drive instead of me saying..."Hey let me drive"!!! HA HA HA HA!!!

Oh yeah, I was always the one who got out to check what was on the "other side" of the hill. Smart thinking from folks who do that. There are always hazards lurking from beneath the view of the driver sometimes!!! Good point to make.

My other "favorite" phrase while off roading and camping out was..."since you are so good at putting up that 4 room tent, I'm gonna let you do it", uh huh. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I love how folks like to get out of doing stuff by being nice. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
Old 12-17-2002, 03:10 AM

JJ is off the scale

And by the way, I received today the details on the H2 driving academy, for a mere $3575 in three days you can be taught to drive your new H2.

Hey Jason, how about a giveaway to the H2 Driving Academy???????????????????

JJ
Old 12-17-2002, 03:25 AM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

you can only use Traction Control in HI-Loc, and should in snow, Mud and slick conditions.
T/C2 can only be used in LO-LOC and is the only time you can use the other button--e-locker--which can only be used UNDER 20 MPH. Rock crawling, slow going.
But 90% of the time you can just push HI-loc, then push T/C, and your good for most situations.
check out the manual prior to use, then try them ALL! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2002, 06:54 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Okay...who wants to know what about what?..and PLEASE, be very specific: I can't fix/explain it if I don't know where your confused.

Frist off, the traction control system, aka TC, is ALWAYS ON. There are no buttons, it's automatic and your vehicle will 'scan' the system for proper function when you fire the rig up (just like it does the airbags).

Traction control funtions in all transfer case modes. Should slippage or loss of traction be detected at any tire, the traction control system acts to moderate the slippage of that one particular tire that would otherwise be spinning-free. This feat is accomplished by means of brake being applied to that 'loose' tire. This braking action (similar to anti-lock braking)prevents the slipping wheel from 'sucking up' all the torque being delievered to that axle...the power is directed towards the other tire that does have traction...forward momentum and control are greatly enhanced!!! Oh my gosh does this system rock!!

The Traction Control System's parameters are enhanced (altered) when the TC2 button is actuated. It's the very same system, just a modification to allow for greater slippage. You can think of it almost like a dimmer or delay. By allowing a bit of slippage, the tire is given an opportunity to move some of the loose debris and (hopefully) make some headway when in snow, mud or loose sand. It's also a good thing in the right way.

There is NO SUBSTITUTE for experience. Get out and play with your rig...you must get to know it 2nd nature and thoroughly. More questions?
Old 12-17-2002, 07:25 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

The electronic locker, aka the E-locker. Hummergirl wants to know about it....O'tay!

The differential is that big-ole round thing in the middle of the axle...this is where power is diverted to each wheel. Only when you drive straight forward are both wheels turning at the identical speed. When you make a turn, one wheel must travel a longer arc then the other...accordingly, each wheel turns at a different rate. The differential allows for a difference in the speed each wheel turns as the vehicle makes its turns. Without a differential, one tire would chirp, slip and a loss of traction would be induced! So a differential is a good thing.

There is one problem; if you were to take one wheel completely off the ground...that one wheel would turn very fast, while the one on the ground would just sit there and do nothing!

Over the years there have been differentials that offer various 'systems' to deal with this. Limited Slip differentials allow only so much slippage and eventually engage the other tire. "posi-traction" and other various forms of this such concept help. Another intersting solution is to apply a BIT of braking...the braking helps to restrict the free-spinning wheel and direct some power to the traction-wheel....this concept is known as BTM, Brake-Throttle Modulation: Essential in H1's, NOT recommended for our H2's (factory issued notice!).

So what is the locker? Simple...it locks the differential and essentially makes the axle one-piece: No slippage, both wheels turning at the same speed. You will lose some steering control and this mode is only for low-speeds and usually temporary just for getting over nasty obstacles and steep hills.

There are more details, but this post is already lengthy enough (NO JOKES NEEDED). I hope this gives some insight.

There is nothing cooler then a person who has an awesome vehicle AND knows how to use it. AND, there's nothing more awesome then a lady explaining this stuff to guys who ask! Read it, know it, learn and experience it in the field!
Old 12-17-2002, 10:10 AM

SONA is off the scale

I learn something everytime I read this, thanks guys.

"Let me show you my gun collection"
\"Life is tough... tougher if you’re stupid.\" \"Just think, right now, all over the world there are people exercising bad judgment. Somebody, right this minute, is probably making the mistake of his life
Old 12-17-2002, 04:02 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Sona, it was someone exactly like you who kept my wife 'comfortably numb' while they c-sectioned our twins out of her.

I tried to make the explanations simple & clear...but its detailed stuff. Please feel free to ask about whatever else interest you.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:31 PM

Hey Steve...awesome explanation...and is making everything come to life. I understand what it means not to have what we have on our vehicles from wheelin' in the "old" days (14 years ago?).

Anyway, off to a vineyard that is offroad to get there and gonna play around with it this afternoon. It's nice knowing land owners out in the sticks.

will post details later this evening on what I learned.

Thanks so much!!!

~amy
Move it or Lose it...
Old 12-19-2002, 02:32 AM

JJ is off the scale

great details, thanks...

I must have missed the H2 notice on NOT recommending BTM - do you know why this is not recommended?

JJ
Old 12-19-2002, 05:59 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Well....at a Santa Barbara event hosted by Hummer...they actually taught us the BTM technique. That's Brake-Thottle-Modulation (for those who are thinking I'm referring to a bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwich).

But at the Gorman event a Hummer mechanic and Hummer rep explained that the factory has issued an edict that we NOT utilize BTM technique on account of the excessive load it places on the tranny and transfer case.

Besides, BTM is referred to as a "poor-mans locker". It's an accidently discovered technique to overcome an open differential and lack of locker. Since we have a locker on the rear, and our Traction control working for our front (and rear when we're not locked)...there really is no need for us to use BTM.

The only purpose BTM (which is the light/medium application of braking pressure being applied in conjunction with acceleration) serves is to allow a smoother movement over obstacles. Example:

If your rear tire is about to climb over a large rock...you may have to apply gas, then a bit more, and more until your H2 almost suddenly lifts up and quickly 'pops' over the rock. As an alternative, you could augment your conquering the rock with some braking pressure...this way you would sorta creep up the rock in a smoother fashion...not so much a jerking 'pop' over the rock. The braking kinda regulates the movement so your less jerky...get it???

As a last note...you'd think the H1 would have the ultimate in 4x4 technology, being at a cost of over $100K. Well, get this: only until this year did they even come with a rear locker! And as far as a traction control system...only a few have the TT4 system...and rumor has it the system is utterly worthless. I'm telling ya...this H2 is loaded with the very best 4x4 technology...perhaps that's why an H2 made it up a very steep hill twice..where (at Gorman) an H1 flipped over trying to go up the very same hill!!!! Wanna see it, here it is:
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2002, 06:05 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

The guy in the red shirt is my buddy Craig, he took his H2 up the same hill twice with no problems. Then along comes an H1 and gives it a shot: he can't lock his rear-end, he has no traction control system beyond the wimpy TT4.

He got sideways and lost it. The H1 flipped over and actually slid way down the hill on its top until it dug-in and came to a halt. I took this photo.

The H2 is an awesome offroad machine...it's a pity that so few owners will ever learn to appreciate its amazing capabilities.