H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-23-2002, 06:41 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

The question has come up as to the differences between gasoline and diesel. In the future the possibility of a diesel or turbo-diesel option for the H2 is likely.

In a nutshell:

Upside: About 45%-65% better gas mileage (fuel economy), longer lasting engine, more reliable, greater torque and power at lower rpm's, increased towing capacity, and some like the raw sound it makes.

Downside: Engine cost more, adds $3,500 - $6,000 (higher if turbo-charged), tends to be slow & sluggish to throttle input, often has a distinct diesel odor and substantially more engine noise. Fuel can be more difficult to find.

It used to be argued that diesel was worse for the environment, especially on account of what can often be visually seen as 'black smoke' coming from the exhaust. In fact, research supports that diesel is actually less impacting on our environment...this arguement continues today; making it a 'toss-up' in terms of which is better or worse.

From experience I can attest that a diesel engine can last well over 500,000 miles (and more!!!) In our H2's we could expect to get about 15-16 mpg in the city. A diesel engine has no distributor or ignition system as such; it requires only fuel, air and combustion in order to operate....this simplicity adds to reliability offroad (and in battle). A diesels higher compression engine develops substantially more horsepower and torque at lower rpm's, making it a great choice for towing or hauling heavy loads. Many H1er's strongly prefer the power-range of the diesel over gas models.

The diesel doesn't have the smooth acceleration or cruising movement that we're all used to...it's much more like a tank. To account for this, the turbo-charger is often added to give the diesel engine a bit more "UMMPPH" when you put your foot down. The turbo provides the fuel/air mixture to be "jammed" under pressure into the engine, this "boost" gives more gas-like performance.

I know I'm forgetting a few things, but that's a good start and a working foundation for understanding the key differences between each fuel. Most people remember back to when diesel was cheaper per gallon, today it's about the same. Either way, the environmentalis hate us.

Please feel free to ask any questions. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 06:41 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

The question has come up as to the differences between gasoline and diesel. In the future the possibility of a diesel or turbo-diesel option for the H2 is likely.

In a nutshell:

Upside: About 45%-65% better gas mileage (fuel economy), longer lasting engine, more reliable, greater torque and power at lower rpm's, increased towing capacity, and some like the raw sound it makes.

Downside: Engine cost more, adds $3,500 - $6,000 (higher if turbo-charged), tends to be slow & sluggish to throttle input, often has a distinct diesel odor and substantially more engine noise. Fuel can be more difficult to find.

It used to be argued that diesel was worse for the environment, especially on account of what can often be visually seen as 'black smoke' coming from the exhaust. In fact, research supports that diesel is actually less impacting on our environment...this arguement continues today; making it a 'toss-up' in terms of which is better or worse.

From experience I can attest that a diesel engine can last well over 500,000 miles (and more!!!) In our H2's we could expect to get about 15-16 mpg in the city. A diesel engine has no distributor or ignition system as such; it requires only fuel, air and combustion in order to operate....this simplicity adds to reliability offroad (and in battle). A diesels higher compression engine develops substantially more horsepower and torque at lower rpm's, making it a great choice for towing or hauling heavy loads. Many H1er's strongly prefer the power-range of the diesel over gas models.

The diesel doesn't have the smooth acceleration or cruising movement that we're all used to...it's much more like a tank. To account for this, the turbo-charger is often added to give the diesel engine a bit more "UMMPPH" when you put your foot down. The turbo provides the fuel/air mixture to be "jammed" under pressure into the engine, this "boost" gives more gas-like performance.

I know I'm forgetting a few things, but that's a good start and a working foundation for understanding the key differences between each fuel. Most people remember back to when diesel was cheaper per gallon, today it's about the same. Either way, the environmentalis hate us.

Please feel free to ask any questions. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 05:25 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

There are 2 long articles about diesels in the current issue of AUTOWEEK, the link is provided below. It is long, complicated, takes a lot time and too much brain power, maybe best to leave the subject alone.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=coverst ory&loc_code=index&content_code=04795232
Old 12-23-2002, 06:04 PM

SJ is off the scale

I like the thought of a Turbo Diesel in the H2. I tend to think that the fuel efficiency and towing prowess are great selling points. Since I have no desire to roast the tires in 1st gear or try to race a Viper or Corvette; I reckon the Turbo Diesel will be very enticing if or when offered.

Further, the Duramax and Allison tranny make a nice pair and are capable of a long service life, as you noted.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 12-23-2002, 07:20 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

SJ...it's like your reading my mind. Lets leave it at that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 11:46 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

This was great information, thanks Steve and Mac for posting this. I would have to see what the acceleration is like in the H2 with a diesel engine, and if acceptable hands down I'd pay more and get diesel.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:02 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I attended one of Hummer's research marketing surveys....they showed us a turbo-diesel option that offered mpg of 16 and boasted a 0-60 time just a couple seconds longer then our current model. At least that is what I recall. The only thing I can tell ya is that the diesel will be a bit slower.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I'd stick with the gas model. I've owned a diesel in the past and it wasn't one of my favorites. Kind of a pain to have to plan your routes so you pass by the gas station that sells diesel, or make sure you have enough in the tank to get to a diesel station.
This may be easier in other areas, diesel isn't sold at a whole lot of stations around here.

I also didn't like sitting there in a freezing cold vehicle waiting for the glow plugs to heat up before starting the engine. Not to mention the noise the thing makes when its cold out. Again, this may not be a consideration if you're in a warmer climate.

I'm not knocking the diesels, I think they have lots of advantages. Torque, mileage, longevity, etc. but for me, I'll stick with gas.

Happy Holidays!
- Dan
Old 12-24-2002, 09:38 PM

JJ is off the scale

Dan, I agree with you, I'd stick with gas. Indeed the torque and trailering advantages are real with a diesel and the duramax is signficantly quieter than others. But, if I really consider a diesel the fuel mileage would be important and quick calculations on the mpg gained and cost of fuel shows a 8-10 year break even point (dependent on the actual cost of the diesel option which also involves the tranny which is usually more expensive as well).

But, each his/her own. That's the beauty of choice and options in the good ole U.S. of A.

JJ