H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone else had to have the entire head replaced? I smell recall.

I thought the head problem was fixed on the 07 models?

They said it was the valve guide material.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3MTA3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Has anyone else had to have the entire head replaced? I smell recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dan
I thought the head problem was fixed on the 07 models?

They said it was the valve guide material.
I thought so too. I guess they used a head from a left over '06. Looking at the repair ticket it was the #5 cylinder that needs replacing. Hopefully this will be the last issue I have with the heads. They also told me that most of the head problems were on H3s with less than 12k mile but lately they have had some come in anywhere between 20-50k. Might be a new issue they were not aware of.
H3MTA3
Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

Bill1065 is off the scale

Seems like $20000 is about the Kelly Bluebook value for the 2006 H3 Dani. Personally I would stick it out with the H3 and keep them rebuilding the heads till they get it right. I would be happy with the increased warranty. The fact that the Lemon law will work if it happens 3 times within a year means what; a free H3? I would definitely stick it out in the trenches. I really think they would prefer you do what you are doing; pursue the trade in buy back process and spend more money. You seem to have the advantage on them and don't even know it. It all boils down to one thing; your patience.

Last edited by Bill1065 : 03-10-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Lex_Ordo

The latest information I got from my Service Tech isas follows.
Now Ididn't go back and read 11+ pages of posts so if I am repeating something, then so be it.

There is a range of Vin #'s that MAY be affected. The Heads that become affected will show a check engine light and act like they misfired.

The dealer service according to GM Warranty service must reset the PCM, nd drive the vehicle again to reproduce the original code, and problem. Then if it occurs, they will proceed to the next step which is to begin head replacement.

My truck, I'm told falls within this range, built in March 2006. I asked why we can't just replace the head, and the answer was that not every truck will havethe problem. ???
Okay, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. There apparantly is something that wasn't perfect in the machining of the head. Now who knows how many pieces of equipment machine these heads. and maybe it was one machine wit hbad tooling. I don't know but it certainly is unsettling.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

richl is on a distinguished road

I WOULD LOVE A LINK TO THIS PROBLEM./ BULLITIN........
Old 03-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Lex_Ordo

Quote:
Originally Posted by richl
I WOULD LOVE A LINK TO THIS PROBLEM./ BULLITIN........

Agreed, and I've looked and even called Gm and Hummer about it and requested the 100K mile power-train warranty that was offered on 2007 and above.
They said they would make a record of my issue in the system.
I asked them if that meant that I would get the extended coverage should my truck's cylinder head fail past the 4 year 50K mile warranty. They said NO.
I asked them why make a note then? You're not covering it anyway?

Well, from here, I requested a supervisor who told me there was nothing he could do. What the ...!

Clearly a major problem exists that affects the Cylinder head of the truck's motor, and GM is aware of it, but since there has been no official bulletin released on it, they will do nothing.

???
Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Lex What dealer are you going to ?
How many miles do you have on the truck?
Good luck hope its not the head

I have 40,000 miles and no head problems ....yet

This was posted about the 2005 chevy 3.5 heads
Thats the same head we have with the early builds.
Attached Images

H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:15 AM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1065
Seems like $20000 is about the Kelly Bluebook value for the 2006 H3 Dani. Personally I would stick it out with the H3 and keep them rebuilding the heads till they get it right. I would be happy with the increased warranty. The fact that the Lemon law will work if it happens 3 times within a year means what; a free H3? I would definitely stick it out in the trenches. I really think they would prefer you do what you are doing; pursue the trade in buy back process and spend more money. You seem to have the advantage on them and don't even know it. It all boils down to one thing; your patience.

I actually won my lemon law suit and bought an '08 H3. Didn't pay a dime more. So far I've had no issues....and hopefully I won't have any. Love my H3 and would hate to get rid of it. I gotta say though- I may buy a 2 the next time around. Just for a change of pace.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Lex_Ordo

Thanks for the interest Fourfourto.

My truck has about 15,400 miles on it, and so far no issues. I hope none develop. Even though it doesn't have a lot of mileage, it has been driven in all our NY weather for the past two years since it was built, and everything appears OK.

I didn't get one of those letters. Maybe because my truck was built in March 2006?
Hmm?

Well let's just keep our fingers crossed.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=Lex_Ordo]Thanks for the interest Fourfourto.

I didn't get one of those letters. Maybe because my truck was built in March 2006?
Hmm?

quote]

That letter was for the chevy ownwers ,No one with a H3 has got one.

Lex are you going out to smiths point beach summer ?.
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Lex_Ordo

You know I haven't thought about it yet, but I did join a Military Vehicle Club that does quite a bit around the area and such so I may be on the trails. We'll see.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

FutureBeachBum is on a distinguished road

Just turned 30,000 miles on my 06. Been home one day after a 2,000 mile run to Florida, when the very rough idling starts .. .. going in to Lynch tomorrow for a new head!

Might as well ask for a loaner H1 for my troubles

www.cafepress.com/shirtspot funniest shirts on the net!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBeachBum
Just turned 30,000 miles on my 06. Been home one day after a 2,000 mile run to Florida, when the very rough idling starts .. .. going in to Lynch tomorrow for a new head!

Might as well ask for a loaner H1 for my troubles

Getting any alarms or lights on the dashboard?
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

homeboy is on a distinguished road

mines in the shop right now other than rough idling did anybodys make a clicking sound like a bad valve or lifter?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

FutureBeachBum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
Getting any alarms or lights on the dashboard?

Getting the check engine light. It's idling EXTREMELY rough!

www.cafepress.com/shirtspot funniest shirts on the net!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone notice a decrease in gas mileage prior to the full onset of this issue? My mileage has been terrible lately. I recently has an ignition coil replaced which smioothed my idling but no change in the mileage. I wonder if this sudden drop in mileage is a sign of bigger things to come...
Old 04-19-2008, 03:16 AM
Elcova Rookie

Captain Steve is off the scale

12/24/07 head replaced at 20, 400 miles

today, head replaced at 22, 430 miles

Lease is up next month. I think that when they call to tell me its ready, I will tell them to keep it I m off to shop for a Ford Sport Trac!!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

My youngest son has my 2006, vin #09X, one of the first 90 ever made. It is currently in Denver and has 59,XXX miles on it with no engine or drivetrain problems whatsoever. Only problems have been the premature cracking of the roof black trim piece we all know about and the cloth seats have shown a little premature wear. He's got his eyes set on the Alpha for motoring in the mountains.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Hummer Guru

Big Dad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steve
I'm off to shop for a Ford Sport Trac!!

Plan on picking up the ladies eh!

Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Elcova Rookie

Captain Steve is off the scale

Found one..turned in the Hummer. It was still running rough. They thought it might now be an exhaust sensor problem.