H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 04-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Huck BB62:
Kid, they've just recently begun changing XM's programing drastically. I had Sirius in our Mini S, loved it. I hated XM until recently BUT XM was better than not having it. XM obviously realizes that it's a war with Sirius and they're being very responsive.

Very true, XM has some interesting new stations being added next week (April 17).
I had more dropouts in the mountains when I had Sirius than I have had with XM. However, to be honest, that was a couple years ago, and Sirius had some serious problems with their receivers.
XM had the early advantage with the equipment being sold due to Delphi being big into XM (GM also owns a lot of XM stock), and that fact that Worldspace (the largest satellite provider in the world) owns part of XM and together they developed most of the receivers.
Now, it appears Sirius has comparable equipment.
I will say that as far as sound quality goes, my H3 (MP3/Monsoon) stereo has great quality, my Delphi SCIFI II I had in the Jeep had great sound, even though played through a decent, but nothing special Panasonic radio. (SCIFI II is being used in my house through the stereo and sound fantastic.) However, the Audiovox unit I had in my '03 Vette had terrible quality, even when directly wired into the Bose system.
So, the receivers appear to have a lot to do with sound quality in the system.

Have to make a note on sound quality; I'm 58, and the hearing isn't what it used to be (thanks partly to many years of firing rifles/handguns, etc., many times without ear protection), so I'm no audiophile. What I think is great may sound like sh*t to someone else. However, even to me, that Audiovox unit was terrible, or something didn't jive between the unit and the Vette's Bose system.)

Besides, XM has Oprah....
Old 04-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

gc2488 is off the scale

I'm thinking it will be better than XM to have
full-time Internet connectivity in the Hummer,
and use radio streams like those on iTunes
and those listed by:
http://www.radio-locator.com/

Not to mention using Google
(and Google Earth as navigation system).
Hopefully this is increasingly common
and offered by dealers someday.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

im very happy with XM , how many remember AM-radios and 8-tracks , we have it sooo goooood !!!!!
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 04-11-2006, 07:40 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by NEOCON1:
im very happy with XM , how many remember AM-radios and 8-tracks , we have it sooo goooood !!!!!

I can remember when AM was cool, and FM stood for "For Mothers." I can also remember the car installed 45 rpm players that skipped like crazy unless parked in the drive-in.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Steve - SanJose

Yea I remember my father's 8 track in his car.

But after 9 months of using XM in my H3, I'm very happy with it. Just a few dropouts in the mountains for brief periods.

S.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:01 AM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

What's FM?
Old 04-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

DTHVLY is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're pay more than $3 a month for XM your getting ripped.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/1726043161/m/6...341064561#6341064561
Old 04-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by DTHVLY:
If you're pay more than $3 a month for XM your getting ripped.

Definitely wouldn't say it is a rip-off if your paying more than $3 but to each their own. I personally like XM but have not had Sirius to compare it to. I have talked to friends that have moved back and forth between the two and some prefer XM and some prefer Sirius. Both have their pluses and both have their minuses. I listen to the comedy channel a lot and XM is also adding a bunch of new channels. Do I care if they don't have as many sports channels, no, but that is me.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 04-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Hummer Guru

What I love is when they say XM is on the ropes. In January '06, in my financial news, XM had 6 million, Sirius has 4, and this includes the jump after Howard and Martha signed on. It also shows that Howard was a big feature, but his numbers have leveled off, and Oprah (as much as we all hate her, she is a big draw) has better numbers than Martha.
I believe the last I read was 9.8 million for Sirius in 2008 and 13 million for XM in 2008.
Too many major contributors own parts of XM such as Hughes, Clear Channel, GM, and Worldspace.
If for some reason XM goes under, Worldspace could take over since they share the same type of equipment, but don't hold your breathe for this to happen.
To say one sucks over the other is personal, and I will be the first to say Sirius sucks over XM, but that is my opinion and my likes are not with Howard or Martha (or Oprah).
However, like I said before, arguing over which is better is ludicrous, since it depends on the person's personally preferences, not on what someone else likes or dislikes.
I also would like to see someone prove that XM will drop to $3.00 per month if you cancel. I just love internet fantasies.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by f5fstop:
I also would like to see someone prove that XM will drop to $3.00 per month if you cancel. I just love internet fantasies.

My friend just renewed his XM contract at $3 a month. If you don't believe it, when your contract is up try telling them you want to cancel and switch to Sirius and see what they say, what do you have to lose, unless you like paying $13 when you could be paying $3. I would say XM is worth it at $3 a month, with O&A going back to FM, XM has no exclusive content.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
I would say XM is worth it at $3 a month, with O&A going back to FM, XM has no exclusive content.

Since it is worth the $13 a month it certainly is worth $3 a month

Never listened to O&A but even if they are going to FM, XM still has some exclusive content, just might not be content that you or I actually listen to. I'm with fstop, I love it when people say XM is on the ropes. Since Sirius has fewer subscribers and are trying everything to gain on XM so don't you think they will give discounts? This going back and forth about XM is better or Sirius is better is about as stupid as argue about who is better GM or Ford

It all comes down to what you prefer and that may not be the right choice for the next guy. So trying to say that one is better than the other for everyone because it is the one you like better just makes you sound like an idiot

BTW, that was not directed at anyone in particular, just a general statement so don't anyone get your panties in a wad.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

Quote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:

My friend just renewed his XM contract at $3 a month. If you don't believe it, when your contract is up try telling them you want to cancel and switch to Sirius and see what they say, what do you have to lose, unless you like paying $13 when you could be paying $3. I would say XM is worth it at $3 a month, with O&A going back to FM, XM has no exclusive content. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My vote is for XM - I can listen to my Mariners lose from all over the country

As far as the $3, I wouldn't believe it except I went to cancel my Tivo (never have time to watch TV, too busy right now obsessing over my front ring gear). When I called Tivo to cancel, they offered to drop to $6/month forever! True to ther word, I'm now @ $6/month and still not watching Tivo (but @$6 it's worth keeping around).
Old 04-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

Bill1065 is off the scale

I can't seem to be able to pay for XM over the net, I thought I did but they sent me a bill, and when I tried to call by phone the automated system would not accept my credit card probably because they are using my house zip code and not my billing zip code which is at my job. I think I'll just let it go; I don't listen to music that much, I can use the CD player if I do. Someone posted they havent even turned on Onstar; You will miss your 30 minutes of hands free free phone calls. I liked it so much I subscribed to more phone time; easy because I was able to talk to a real person using the Hummer Onstar device to communicate.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:00 AM
Hummer Professional

Scouts Out is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having serious trouble with the $3 fairy tale. MY free time was up and I called and threatened to go to sirus, used the military discount approach, asked for level 2 support, tried emailing, called back another day and did it all over. Best they would do was the family plan which was not much of a savings at all. I do like it, I just hate another monthly bill.

Superior Blue, Adventure Package, Roof mounted off road lights, Auto, 6 Disk Monsoon with XM, Brush Guard, Tire Cover, Husky mud flaps, flat steps, black fuel door.

Other Cars.....

1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 litre V8
Old 04-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Hummer Professional

Dani is off the scale

I personally don't like XM radio. I had it until the 3 month trial period was up (in the Pilot) and never renewed it. I didn't find any stations that were worth listening to. Some would play decent stuff but for the majority of the time it was crap from groups I've never even heard of.

Kids did love it for Radio Disney though
Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Dani:
I personally don't like XM radio. I had it until the 3 month trial period was up (in the Pilot) and never renewed it. I didn't find any stations that were worth listening to. Some would play decent stuff but for the majority of the time it was crap from groups I've never even heard of.

Kids did love it for Radio Disney though

That statement nails it on the head. It is all about personal preference. One is not better than the other for everyone. There are always going to be people that prefer XM and those that prefer Sirius. Doesn't make one person right and the other wrong.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by NASCAR17:
if you love nascar get xm if you like howard stern get sirus

Nascar signed a five year exclusive satellite deal with Sirius that starts next season, 2007. So if you want to listen to Nascar races after this season you will need Sirius.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

No, you can use the stock stereo but you will need to get two things to convert to Sirius, see links below. You can try to do it yorself or just take it to Best Buy or Circuit City and have them do the conversion/install.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundkngm1v3.html

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/kenwoodktcsr902.html