H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Hummer Guru

jmsspratlin is on a distinguished road
Default OIL

I tried searching the topic, but came up with not exactly what I was looking for. Anyway, what type oil are most of you guys using and does anyone have the product # for the H2 filter? Thanks....Jamie
Old 10-27-2007, 04:00 AM
Hummer Guru

Default Re: OIL

guess no one changes their own oil eh?
Old 10-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

OffRoadin is on a distinguished road

Mobile 1 synthetic oil. Filter number I can't remember. I bought a Fram one don't know if they are any good (this will be my first do it myself oil change on the H2). On all my old cars and motorcycles I used K&N oil filters when available.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34096
Old 10-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

TheBoyNextDoor is on a distinguished road

Royal Purple and K&N filter..............
Old 10-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Royal Purple for anything that thay make that will work someplace in your rig even their water wetter.

It has been a little while for me to change everything because Dragon and the shop does that. We run GM synthetic in transfer case I think, maybe that is it. A good quality oil filter with check valve so it holds oil so dry start is not so bad. You can go to an electric oil pump so you can start it with key partial turn on and lube engine or use a toggle switch like Nascar does.

I'm looking at electric water pumps and oil pumps etc. to gain all HP and torque I can get. I'm researching trying to find any of these that feel they can be run in everyday use. So far the word is temp cycle use only like down the drag strip that kind of situation. I have not gotten far so if anyone can offer TAZ some help there I would be grateful. I have not hit Dragon with this but, his sales manager is looking while the 2 are at SEMA next week.

We drove out when I went in 2005 but, noooooo Dragon is flying out today and flying back next Saturday. We have to sit down and have a talk about this situation. I must confess it was a fun drive in 2005 as it was planned that way because we had plans to take my H2 on a trailer and had the first custom dash structure fail. It is not easy removing everything to add a 12" touchscreen in the center dash. When we first got it in 2005 a 10" in a H2 was the largest and we beat that even with some failures. What is that old saying, you have to break some eggs to make an omlete, well something corney like that. It has gotten easier to make the dash piece each time. I say each time as I come up with another idea to add this or change this and I have to give Dragon credit he just patientally let's DADYLUV make changes. He is a skilled and great young man. If you can get your ride to him whatever it is you are in excellent hands.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 10-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Cesardajr is on a distinguished road

Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil & K&N Filter or Mobil Oil Filter
I am thinking of going to Royal Purple Oil...
37x12.50xR17 BFG Mud Terrain's
Ready Lift Front Leveling Kit 2 1/2"
Cognito Steering Support Kit
Cognito Idler Pivot Kit
Fabtech Steering Stabilizer
Fabtech Tie Rods
Power Slot Slotted Rotors
Crown Performance Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Off Road Unlimited Black Diff Cover & RP Diff Fluid
Hypertech Power Programmer
True Flow Foam Air Filter
Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
Royal Purple for anything that thay make that will work someplace in your rig even their water wetter.

It has been a little while for me to change everything because Dragon and the shop does that. We run GM synthetic in transfer case I think, maybe that is it. A good quality oil filter with check valve so it holds oil so dry start is not so bad. You can go to an electric oil pump so you can start it with key partial turn on and lube engine or use a toggle switch like Nascar does.

I'm looking at electric water pumps and oil pumps etc. to gain all HP and torque I can get. I'm researching trying to find any of these that feel they can be run in everyday use. So far the word is temp cycle use only like down the drag strip that kind of situation. I have not gotten far so if anyone can offer TAZ some help there I would be grateful. I have not hit Dragon with this but, his sales manager is looking while the 2 are at SEMA next week.

We drove out when I went in 2005 but, noooooo Dragon is flying out today and flying back next Saturday. We have to sit down and have a talk about this situation. I must confess it was a fun drive in 2005 as it was planned that way because we had plans to take my H2 on a trailer and had the first custom dash structure fail. It is not easy removing everything to add a 12" touchscreen in the center dash. When we first got it in 2005 a 10" in a H2 was the largest and we beat that even with some failures. What is that old saying, you have to break some eggs to make an omlete, well something corney like that. It has gotten easier to make the dash piece each time. I say each time as I come up with another idea to add this or change this and I have to give Dragon credit he just patientally let's DADYLUV make changes. He is a skilled and great young man. If you can get your ride to him whatever it is you are in excellent hands.

TAZ

Is this the type of pump you're looking for? It was originally designed for airplanes, but with a little work, I'm using them as pre-oilers/pumps on the boat. The other nice feature of this setup is there's a quick connect inline between the pump and the remote filters. A simple disconnect, hook up a 2' piece of hose, turn on the pump and drain the oil!
Attached Images

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 10-27-2007, 08:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2-USA is an unknown quantity at this point

Might this be the item that you are searching for?
K&N HP-1007
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K&N HP-1007 2.jpg (21.5 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg K&N oilfiltercutout.jpg (16.8 KB, 304 views)
Old 10-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure the purple king must be better, I just use plain old castrol, but I make sure to change every 3K mi or less.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

blackhawk29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsspratlin
I tried searching the topic, but came up with not exactly what I was looking for. Anyway, what type oil are most of you guys using and does anyone have the product # for the H2 filter? Thanks....Jamie

oil x change place $22.95 every 5 to 7k i think changing oil is a waste of time and money. i had a 94' suburban go to 210k and i only had the oil changed at 8 to 10k intervals. my o5' h2 got the same oil change regiment and again no issues. both ran strong till the day i sold it. i can't figure out why guys use the expensive stuff, to save the engine for the next guy?
Old 10-28-2007, 02:32 AM
Elcova Rookie

Mr D is on a distinguished road

Mobil 1 10-30 in the summer, changed every 2K miles.

Mobil 1 5-30 in the winter, changed every 1500 miles.

Baldwin Filters.

My ride is driven in Alaska where even in the summer the engine runs cool, cold engines produce more acids and contaminates to break down oils. Also moisture builds up faster and cold starting oil with even small amounts of moisture can cause oil starvation in critical areas, better to be safe than sorry, I just stockpile the Mobil 1 when its on sale.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

RippSpeed is on a distinguished road

I'm a firm believer in Motul !!!

but since I lost my connection for Motul, I'm going to try royal purple and if I cant find that ... I'll end up going to my last and thrid choice Mobile 1 pure synthetic oil... But when it comes to filteration I used the factory oil filter... Filteration doesnt really matter just as long you change your oil every 3000 to 5000 miles...

Plus I need to find that filter test report... On how some of the aftermarket filters actually causes back pressure and actually filters great, but is suffers from flow restrictions...
Old 10-29-2007, 11:54 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

tower,
Castrol would be another choice for me on almost same level with Royal Purple. I ran Castrol in allot of race engines etc. Do not think You are going wrong there. We used 4-wheelers in rice fields spaying levy's and around fields under conditions that if You walked up and saw us You would have thought us insane using a $5,000 plus 4x4 4 wheelers that way. Yet they had become vital to making the operation run well and they were much much much cheaper to run than trucks even if I put good old used trucks under the helpers butts. Plus they did not get stuck unless they were dumb enough to continue to run in the same rut long enough. You get my drift.

Castrol or Kendal 20W50 kept all of them running without concern whether they had outside oil cooling radiator or oil inside motor all the time. I ran a brand of 4wheeler's where the transaxle was part of engine and all ran off the same oil and used same filter.

I would like to say something about an old fella who i knew bought a 1968 Caprice golden color but ran Havoline 30W and never changed oil but, did change filter every 2000 miles without fail and just added oil when it needed it. He lived south of Memphis, TN in Mississippi as i had helped change filter on visits whether it needed it or not. I made the mistake of wanting to change oil completely on one of my first meetings and got a chewing out by old fella. To my friends surprise when his great grandfather died at 101 years old in early 90's it seems as memory is rough on somethings but, very few things. He still had the 68 Chevy he bought new with a 350ci bare bones and milage wrote on the filter of last oil change. I wish I had bought that car when sold. I was younger being only 51 now and did not have the extra money but, it was show room perfect worth who knows what plus I had good memories visiting and eating all home canned food out of the garden.

Well here I go starting to thinking about to much. I just enjoy sharing my experiences in life as well as the unique things of others lives when i come across something to trigger the thoughts. I'm the oldest only of 2 grandson's left in grandkids of 11 so they all rely on me to remember to tell the old family history passed down from the grandpa that raised me. I tell some if you are so interested why did grandpa not see you but, once a year or every other year. I'm not anrgy and trying to write somethings down. I do not feel bad about letting some wisdom and stories die with me someday. I had a Mom who worked hard to feed a boy and 3 sisters until I got old enough to ride a motorcycle then went to school, had football practice, and then went to work at Steve's Star Texaco every night after practice then closed up went home to sleep got up to start it all over again from sometime in 7th grade till marriage. I wonder sometime what i may have missed as teen in the 70's well starting in 60's but, does not bother me as i got to spend every minute I could with grandpa. I guess I'm saying this so that it will help someone especially a kid surfing the net and maybe coming across some of what i write about as H2Finally and tower mentioned to me recently. I want anyone to know or who have been through this that it is called life so drop the hurt feelings lower the walls and LIVE. You need to learn to be content in whatever position in life You find Yourself in as others have been there and can give advice. Try out GodTube.com and see if answers can be found there or contact me TAZ.

OK now returning to the regularly scheduled topic of this thread I would like to say that you never know how well a ride is built but, do what you feel is best which includes oil selection main thing just have confidence then relax with your oil choice. You never know if you are running something that was built with quality in mind by that guy or guy's and gal's that day incase they had a bad day going. That is all we car owners can do is hope for the best but, more importantly do what we think is best and just have peace with it, THEN LIVE WITH IT. No matter how much you worry there is nothing you can change sometimes except go along for the ride.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 10-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the general consensus is that ANY oil changed regularly performs just fine. Even $1.25/quart dino oil changed every 3,000 miles will work fine...synthetic provides some minor improvements in lubrication (as seen by numerous dyno tests that show an increase when synthetic is added) and more resistance to wear and oil breakdown (hence the 7,500+ mile oil change intervals you see).

As far as filters...I've heard that Fram is junk and there are several write-ups on the web that would support this.

For the record, I use Mobil 1 and AC-Delco filters and change it every 3,000 miles religiously.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsspratlin

The best in the business...Amsoil oil and filters.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:08 PM
Hummer Expert

MONSTERMATT is an unknown quantity at this point

amsoil 5w30 full synthetic with amsoil filter or k&n every 3k
Old 10-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a damn informative thread.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

MOBILE 1 and a MOBIL1 OR AC DELCO OIL FILTER.
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Hummer Professional

dkhummerh2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyNextDoor
Royal Purple and K&N filter..............
I have heard great things about Royal Purple. Is the cost that much higher. I didn't find it at my local parts store.
dk
Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks everyone....J