H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

dna is off the scale
Default '03 H2 - reverse not engaging when firing up after cold night?

I live in Calgary, and we have had constant -25 mornings for the last few weeks. About a week ago I noticed that when first firing up the truck in the morning and putting it into reverse, that the truck barely moves back. There was no grinding, instead it was almost like the truck was in neutral but the truck would move back ever so slowly.

After happening everyday, I started testing a few things. First I checked the tranny fluid and it seems full and normal looking but I did smell a faint burnt smell (but I'm not sure either).

I also found that after playing with the shifter (in and out of reverse) that it eventually would 'click' and then I would have full reverse power. After further playing, I found that it isn't based on playing with the shifter, but rather appears to be time related, where after a few minutes of idling the reverse gear clicks in even the first time.

Could this be a sign that the fluid is bad and needs a change, or it is a bigger issue with the trans? Perhaps in the extreme cold, the fluid is not flowing well, so it needs time to warm up? But note that the issue is only with the reverse - all other gears work fine. FYI - I also tried putting it into 4Locked, and it made no different when 1st started in the morning (it again needed those few minutes until reverse engaged).

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of doin a tranny flush, but it is $200 here at the lube shops and if I have a bigger issue then I'd rather save the $200 and get the tranny fixed.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2014, 05:27 AM
Hummer Expert

Rico001 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: '03 H2 - reverse not engaging when firing up after cold night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna
I live in Calgary, and we have had constant -25 mornings for the last few weeks. About a week ago I noticed that when first firing up the truck in the morning and putting it into reverse, that the truck barely moves back. There was no grinding, instead it was almost like the truck was in neutral but the truck would move back ever so slowly.

Thanks

I know Florida does not see -25F but it has been very cold here this year and my Chevy pick up does the same thing as you mention.
If I let it warm up for a minute or 2 and it will still shift slower and hold the gears later. This will usually happen for about a mile or 2 and all will be normal.
I would suggest warm it up longer and driving it slowly till it warms fully ~Richard
Yellow 2003 H2 Luxury ALPHA , 2" lift, Black Helo Maxx8 20 X 10 Rims, Toyo AT Open Country II LT35/12.50/R20 tires, taillight guards and black LE brush guard, KC light bar w/4 Daylights, Recon Smoked roof lights, Sirius/XM Satellite Radio, Kenwood Head Unit , 4 - 6-1/2 inch Polk Audio Speakers, solid billet tailgate handle,HUMMER H2 Ghost lights ib front doors
Old 02-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

glennf1 is on a distinguished road

At the very least, you need to switch the tranny and transfer case over to Dexron-VI and drain out the Dexron-III, especially in those temps.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

jmudler is on a distinguished road

I cant switch out of 4lo or 4hi if it is below 25 unless I warm everything up in 4hi for a mile or two.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

Change your filter and fluid completely and go from there.
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat