Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 10-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I rolled over the magic 21 a few months back, and the time is fast approaching to pick up a handgun. I have already settled on a 1911 chambered in 45 like they should be. But, I'm pretty torn on brands, I have looked at the Springfields, they make some nice looking guns, but I keep hearing love hate stories about them. I've glanced at the STI's, but have not found that much info on them. I'm not the biggest Kimber fan, they make some nice guns, but I'm going to pass on Kimber this go around. And finally there is the Wilson Combat. That's what I'm leaning twoards, does anyone on the board have a Wilson, or experience with them? I'm almost positive that the Wilson will prevail, but I'm open to other suggestions. Off the bat I'll be taking the gun down to the range alot, I'm thinking about getting into IPSC. I would not mind having something I could have in the truck sometimes as well, but not a specific defense gun. Are there any good 1911 boards out there? Any guidence would be appreciated.

-007=
Old 10-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I rolled over the magic 21 a few months back, and the time is fast approaching to pick up a handgun. I have already settled on a 1911 chambered in 45 like they should be. But, I'm pretty torn on brands, I have looked at the Springfields, they make some nice looking guns, but I keep hearing love hate stories about them. I've glanced at the STI's, but have not found that much info on them. I'm not the biggest Kimber fan, they make some nice guns, but I'm going to pass on Kimber this go around. And finally there is the Wilson Combat. That's what I'm leaning twoards, does anyone on the board have a Wilson, or experience with them? I'm almost positive that the Wilson will prevail, but I'm open to other suggestions. Off the bat I'll be taking the gun down to the range alot, I'm thinking about getting into IPSC. I would not mind having something I could have in the truck sometimes as well, but not a specific defense gun. Are there any good 1911 boards out there? Any guidence would be appreciated.

-007=
Old 10-14-2005, 02:43 AM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

If money was no object, here's my choices in order (having owned or currently own all of these brands at one time or another):

-Wilson Combat CQB (with or without the light rail...I prefer no light rail. It's finish is great! Smoothest trigger pull too.) This one is so nice I don't like to beat it up much. I prefer cranking on my Gunsite Combat Commander (see below).

-Kimber Tactical II (I know you said no Kimber, but damn! Those pistols are sweet.)

-Kimber Custom Tactical TLE II Stainless (LAPD SWAT's choice of pistol).

-Colt Gunsite Model 70 (I have a Stainless Combat Commander version of this. It's one of three standard carry pistols I tend to use.)

Best web site - m1911.org.

As for IPSC, think more IDPA. I used to be really into IPSC, and got ticked off at the fact that people with specialized raceguns and near impossible scenarios would be the norm.

IDPA is more suited to real life situations using near stock pistols and revolvers.

Oh, and if you do get into IPSC or IDPA....get a reloader. Either a Dillon Precision 550 or Square Deal B. You're better off spending money on the 550.

Oh...my other two primary carry pistols? Glock 30 and Glock 21. Can you tell that I like .45acp?

I wish my wife would standardize on it as well...but no, she had to be different. She went Glock 23.

-Steve
Old 10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
Banned

Toadies is off the scale

Glock is a goddamn turd gun..****in tuperware...I would never own a Glock

Sig > *
Old 10-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Hummer Guru

BlueTJCO has a little shameless behaviour in the past

SIG SAUER>>>>>>>>
Old 10-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

H&k
Old 10-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Banned

Toadies is off the scale

HK, Kahr, Glock is all tupperware plastic crap..

Here let me show you a real gun.. not wannbe starwars crap..

Old 10-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member

Heavy, outdated. Works well as a paper weight or if you run out of rounds you can throw it at your enemy.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Banned

Toadies is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr. I - Man:
Heavy, outdated. Works well as a paper weight or if you run out of rounds you can throw it at your enemy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I would much rather have to worry about a potential Kaboom in a tupperware gun than exceptional service from an outdated Sig or Kimber or Wilson..

Old 10-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Hummer Authority

To each his own, I have never have a problem with this fine piece of German engineering. Had hot loads pop off in the chamber, bad reload ( split casing) & still cycled through all 15 rounds.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:22 PM

Bondage is off the scale

You gotta understand this - guns are like off road machines - the Jeepers hate the Hummers, the Glockenspeils hate the 1911ers, etc., etc., etc. It's all bullshiite. Stick with the best brands, (Glock, HK, Kimber, Springfield, Beretta, Sig, etc) and SHOOT 'em all. A lot. Then stick with the one that feels most comfortable to you and that you shoot the best. Be sparing with the modifications (again, like an off road machine) and it will be a reliable machine. I have an original COLT Combat Government in .45acp that has had the piss shot out of it. Untold thousands of rounds (yeah, get a Dillon reloading press) and it is as reliable and accurate and awesome as it was on day one. If pressed for a particular weapon as a recommendation, I'd have to side with the Wilson CQB as previously mentioned. Then do NO mods and just shoot it, and shoot it, and shoot it, and shoot it........

Sean
Old 10-15-2005, 01:34 AM
Banned

Toadies is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr. I - Man:
To each his own, I have never have a problem with this fine piece of German engineering. Had hot loads pop off in the chamber, bad reload ( split casing) & still cycled through all 15 rounds. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ANYONE using reloads in a tupperware gun is a dumbass asking to have his hand blown off. If you want to reload stick to a big boy gun like the Sig, Kimber, Wilsons, Springfield Armory, etc.....

Glockies are best with factory ammo.. Even Gaston says so...
Old 10-15-2005, 01:36 AM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

Hmmm. I never liked Glocks until my friend's son who is a SEAL officer chose one in 45 ACP for his service weapon. I still don't like them, but he changed my thinking about how capable a weapon it is.

I shot a friend's Colt 45 Gold Cup series 70(?) about 15 years ago. The combination of slow burning powder and smooth trigger action allowed me to put seven shots on the forehead of a lifesize silouette target at 25 yards. I could never do that now with my old-guy eyes. But that was my experience with a model 1911.

As far as my favorite sidearm? S&W Model 29, 44 mag. Lots O' noise, lots O' kick, and lots O' fun. Damn accurate too.

Best regards,

George SSSS
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 10-15-2005, 01:45 AM
Banned

Toadies is off the scale

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html
Old 10-15-2005, 03:48 PM
Hummer Authority

quote: Glockies are best with factory ammo.. Even Gaston says so...

Hey hillbilly Texan don't you know how to read. I don't have a F*&king Glock I have a H&k USP 40SW. I guess the literacy rate is not to good down there.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

Toadies is off the scale

quote: Glockies are best with factory ammo.. Even Gaston says so...

Hey hillbilly Texan don't you know how to read. I don't have a F*&king Glock I have a H&k USP 40SW. I guess the literacy rate is not to good down there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's your pile of crap blowing up..

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/hk-kb.html
Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ssgharkness020147
...Are there any good 1911 boards out there? Any guidence would be appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carey,
I can't offer any advice on various 1911s. I've only shot a few brands and don't actually own any, but here's another board:

http://www.thefiringline.com

it's not 1911 specific, but there's a lot of knowledgable people there.

Just ignore Toadies. He's just looking for attention. There are irrational guy's like this everywhere. Any gun'll go kaboom for a number of reasons. I primarily shoot a polymer SigPro chambered in 357sig. So it's a pretty hot round (40,000psi and up) and I've never had fail to feed or eject problems, let alone a kaboom (not that it couldn't). Funny why a polymer frame would be the cause of a kaboom in the chamber. It's not like the barrel, slide, or receiver is made of plastic. I suppose Toaddie will now poo poo my choice of ammo because it's smaller than .45 inches in diameter or has a bullet weight under 200grains.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned

Toadies is off the scale

real guns are made of metal and metal alloys NOT plastic and come in calibres of .40 or better.

The best round bar none is a .45 230 grain hollowpoint in +P
Old 10-16-2005, 01:22 PM

Bondage is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toadies:
real guns are made of metal and metal alloys NOT plastic and come in calibres of .40 or better.

The best round bar none is a .45 230 grain hollowpoint in +P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to respectfully disagree. The best gun - and the best round - is the one you have with you when you need it.

Sean
Old 10-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toadies:
The best round bar none is a .45 230 grain hollowpoint in +P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to do more research on the .357 Magnum with 125 grain hollowpoint ammo before you make a blanket statement like this.