H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Hummer Novice

pokeindaeye is on a distinguished road
Default Trailer Towing

I am building a new 30' V-nose (34') Bar-B-Que Competition & Catering trailer!!! Can anyone give me "Real World" trailer towing ability? The completed trailer will weigh between 9,500 and 10,000. I plan on using a weight distributing hitch - just curious about real world experiences towing a trailer of this size with a H2. We will most likely buy another 1 ton later.....

Thanks in advance for any help....

JWK
Old 05-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

Dan D 2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trailer Towing

You'll kill your trainny towing something that heavy. Although the H2 does a decent job of towing, it really is not designed to tow beyond it's rated capacity.

Do a search if you want more specifics. It's been discussed here many times before.

If you do decide to tow that trailer, keep us posted.

Good Luck
Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I've towed 9,200 pound loads for short distances (under 100 miles and using the trailer towing button to keep the transmission from shifting all the time) without any problems. Keep an eye on your transmission temperature gauge and be very careful about your tongue weight. When you over gross your towing capability you have to be extremely careful about tongue weight. The H2 has geat brakes but you're going to find stopping will be more of a concern than going with a load like that.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 05-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

I towed a boat and triple axle trailer w/electric brakes (Thank God) weighing 10k pounds from Sarasota to New Bern, NC.

I averaged 55 mph and 6 mpg. I stopped every 2 hours for fuel and to let things cool down, plus calm my nerves! Scary!!!!!!!!!!!

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 05-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Hummer Novice

Thanks everyone

I will be leaving Southern Louisanna (Galiano) on the 13th, driving to LaGrange, IN to pick "The Beast" up. She started out being designed as a 22' flat front and ended up being a 30' V-nose (34' total enclosed) 36' overall. The empty trailer will weigh just a tad over 5,000. I will have a trunnion type weight distribution hitch, I have no reservations on pulling the empty trailer, after I complete the build out may be a different story though, as I will be adding approximately 4,800. The 1,400 mile trip back to Houston, Texas will be the tell of the tape. I will post details, fuel mileage, tranny temp, head wind, weather conditions, etc.

I will also post pics of the trailer and connected to my 2003 Harley Davidson Edition H2!!! Most people do not know HUMMER never made a Harley Edition, but since 2003 was the 100th anniversary of Harley and the colors were black & silver - Since I have an 03 Pewter H2, I added the '03 tank badges above the side H2 logo and "Bar & Shields" all over the place - inside and outside and created a Harley Edition - Even a salesman did not know the difference -(obviously a NEW salesman!! I have also changed out the side mirrors and wheels from 06 Limited Edition (eight spoke)........ I will try a post some pictures - I think most of mine are to large though......

Thanks again for all input!!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

finbox is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschett
I towed a boat and triple axle trailer w/electric brakes (Thank God) weighing 10k pounds from Sarasota to New Bern, NC.

I averaged 55 mph and 6 mpg. I stopped every 2 hours for fuel and to let things cool down, plus calm my nerves! Scary!!!!!!!!!!!

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH....I have proplaly seen you around, New pass, beer can, Lido etc. I've have a Donzi 23zf red "Storm Magnet"

I towed my 7500lb boat at 73mph to key west fron Sarasota 500 miles of FLAT roads and it got around 6mpg...on the way back i got a o2 senser error (had to be because off all the gas pouring though my engine) I reset the code and its been gone for almost a year.

I would say around 7000lbs max if hilly

Mines a 2004

Last edited by finbox : 05-13-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbox
2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH....I have proplaly seen you around, New pass, beer can, Lido etc. I've have a Donzi 23zf red "Storm Magnet"

I towed my 7500lb boat at 73mph to key west fron Sarasota 500 miles of FLAT roads and it got around 6mpg...on the way back i got a o2 senser error (had to be because off all the gas pouring though my engine) I reset the code and its been gone for almost a year.

I would say around 7000lbs max if hilly

Mines a 2004

I spend most of my time around Sarasota. Look for me and give me a shout, the name of the boat is "Grounds 4 Divorce" There's a mural of a judge on the bench on the sides, plus you won't miss the sound of her!

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously as everyone else has said, that's a lot of weight....period, regardless of what is pulling it.

The H2 pulls best when stock or with a supercharger. I can tell you from experience that lifted H2's with big tires and superchargers don't pull worth a ****.

If you're pulling your new trailer just to get it home, just take it easy, don't overaccelerate from a light. (like you could anyways...lol)

If you decide you're going to use the H2 to pull it more than that one time, I'd invest in a tranny cooler.

The tranny's in the H2 tend to overheat easier (IMO) than any other vehicle I've had. I personally think the 4L60E trans is too small for the H2... if you were to tow on a regular basis, I'd do the 4L80E conversion.

Good luck, keep us posted and send pics.

Mark
Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Hummer Novice

I took my wifes 06 Avalanche - Strange it has a higher tow rating that the H2!!

Since I knew we were going to buy another 1 ton after I finish the build out, I figured why spend the extra in gas to drive the H2 there and back and possibily risk hurting my tranny or something else......

The trailer ended weighing 7,000 pounds.... Dexter built the frame in Extra Heavy duty since I will be putting 2,000 of Bar-B-Que pits on the rear 36". Tow Backwoods Professionals.... and it is 14" extra tall with two interior walls with doors........... Class Act made a dealer as well. They are one FINE ASS TRAILERS...........

Avalance averaged 17 mpg going up at 75-80 mph. Averaged 11 on the way back driving 60-70........... I figured I saved about $400 in fuel driving the Avalanche. The Avalanche pulled the trailer GREAT even in the hills...... However, with the rear being open, trucks passing me from behind REALLY caused the trailer to sway A BUNCH!!!! Next is a better WDH with dual sway control systems - Any info would be great - We usually only pull goosenecks or 5th wheels ..... never had the need for WDH & sway controls......

Pics of my H2 are too large for posting ........... I will get some smaller ones later I have put a custom 3" Magna Flow Cat Back with dual/dual 4" tips, K&N CIA, Dialblo Sport tuner & 06 Limited wheels & mirrors and HD badges all over the place she is ONE SWEET RIDE..... I may not get a hummer everday bit I can atleast drive one!!!!

When I asked my wife which of the trucks she wanted to sell to get a 1 ton ... She replied sell my Avalance you know I like a BIG TRUCK better ..... Her King Ranch 4X4 1 ton CC Dually was stolen and our 8yr daughter talked her into buying the Avalanche when I was out of state. It has been a great little truck ..... if you like little trucks that is.........

Anyhow, we just finished plumbing and building the bunk beds, "The Beast" is off to the metal fab shop tomorrow for installing the ATP and SS cabinets ........ I will post finished pics soon.....
Name:  H2 PIDE (5).JPG
Views: 2128
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  H2 PIDE (3).JPG
Views: 2127
Size:  61.7 KB

Name:  H2 PIDE.JPG
Views: 2188
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  H2 Building in Shop.JPG
Views: 2133
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  H2 PIDE (4).JPG
Views: 2132
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  H2 PIDE (2).JPG
Views: 2189
Size:  125.5 KB

Last edited by DRTYFN : 06-15-2009 at 05:04 PM.