H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

NU2H2 is off the scale

with E fans or just the OE type set up?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine has gotten hot enough that the DIC read "ENGINE COOLANT HOT".
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

Fubar,
When I called Magnacharger and talked to their technical department, they offered to reprogram my computer. I gave them the list of all the additional modifications I did to my H2 and they programed it accordingly. I have put about 40,000 miles on my H2 with the supercharger installed, so they thought I might have an outdated programs. When the Magnacharger system first came out, I put it on.

It seems more and more H2 are starting to have over heating issues. When I was on the phone with Ron Davis Radiator, they said they have been receiving a lot of calls from H2 owners with similar problems. Magnacharger recommended that I call Ron Davis Radiator, and my overheating problems would go away.

So far with the new radiator installed the enging temperature is running cooler and the transmission is also running cooler. I am driving up to Lake Tahoe on Wednesday, this will be the test. I will let you know how it goes.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Hummer Professional

kdio, yes I did. I have never heard of that. What is the product that is recommended then?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

Xenowulf is off the scale

I have a 05 SUT and I'd like to install an electric fan. Can you use GM parts from the new 2500s. Or is using the Flex-A-Lite Monster 282 the only way.

I spoke to a Flex-A-Lite rep and he said that GMs only have a few number of different radiators and if the H2 radiator is the same length as a other GM one, the fan shroud should have the same mount points. Is this right?
Old 09-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Hummer Professional

Hey kdio, have you gotten your radiator yet? Please keep us posted, I am very intersted in seeing what the outcome is.
Thanks!
Old 09-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Hummer Professional

kdio, did you get yours installed? I put in the radiator from Breathless Performance and it really works well! I have yet to take it up a long mountain grade in the heat of the summer, but maybe this weekend when it's supposed to be 100 here.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:18 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ARH1956:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ:
Fubar I would recommend 2 things.
go to the 2500 HD fans. They move way more air than the flex do. I have the 295 on My Silverado which is next to the largest they make unless You have the 37" radiator and My OEM electric move so much more air it is no comparison.
TAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 282 Flex-A-Lite moves 1,000 CFM more than the 295 & is for the H2 or any number of GM's with the 34"x17" radiator. I'm not suggesting it's better than the HD GM fan, simply that it moves far more air than the 295 series. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It took some digging (the girl friend had filed stuff away) Anway I found the install instructions for the fans that are installed on my H2. They are the Monster Fans 282 series. Just thougt I'd let you know. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2005, 03:37 PM
Hummer Deity

kdio,
Do you know or remember who you spoke with at Magna Charger? As I'm having similar trouble I'd like to have the service manager at the dealership call Magna Charger he's not going to take my word or a 3rd party conversation as motivation to do anything.

Thanks,
Old 08-26-2005, 07:01 PM

ARH1956 is off the scale

My '03 H2 has never had any problem with overheating but the A/C performance when idling around town was lacking. I installed the Flex-A-Lite 282 kit & it's been a "Night & Day" difference. Now the A/C condensor has sufficient air flow even while parked & idling to cool the whole truck perfectly.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:10 PM

ARH1956 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Fubar, the instrcutions don't address three issues that i cam across; drilling out the top bracket slots to make them bigger, relocating the oil cooler lines and trimming the side brackets. I haven't finished yet, but so far those three things need to be addressed outside of the instructions provided. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I had to drill out the top slots for the bigger bolts, & deal with the trannie cooling lines. I did not have any issues with the side brackets when installing the Flex 282 they dropped right into the factory slots without issue.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:44 PM

ARH1956 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Bill:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ARH1956:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Bill:
Mine has the OE fan and the Air Conditioner has always frozen you out even on a day like today when it is 113 and climbing! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sitting still idling @ 113*+ your A/C freezes you out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes indeed it does! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Uh huh. You must be like my 86 year old mother-in-law. She likes it a constant 85* as well. There is no way a stock H2 A/C system would keep me comfortable @ 100*+, LOL.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:14 PM
Hummer Professional

Mine has the OE fan and the Air Conditioner has always frozen you out even on a day like today when it is 113 and climbing!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

Xenowulf is off the scale

I've noticed on my truck (its a 05 SUT with a SC) that I can drive all day and all night in town with traffic and no traffic keeping the truck under 80 MPH on the freeway, my temp is always a cu@t hair under 210(never moves one way or the other), If I get on the freeway and keep it at 90-95 MPH the temp climbs up to 220 and start going up and down from 210 to 220. I don't know or think this is normal but as long as it dos'nt go any higher I don't think it would hurt the motor.

Ahhhh! Good point, you can pick up a few extra HP! I just asked because I just started having some overheating problems.
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-27-2005, 06:26 PM

ARH1956 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ:
Fubar I would recommend 2 things.
go to the 2500 HD fans. They move way more air than the flex do. I have the 295 on My Silverado which is next to the largest they make unless You have the 37" radiator and My OEM electric move so much more air it is no comparison.
TAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 282 Flex-A-Lite moves 1,000 CFM more than the 295 & is for the H2 or any number of GM's with the 34"x17" radiator. I'm not suggesting it's better than the HD GM fan, simply that it moves far more air than the 295 series.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Hummer Deity

Very cool,
have a good trip to Tahoe.

I called Ron Davis after getting the same advice from the folks at Magana Charger. The person I spoke with at Ron Davis said they didn't carry a radiator in stock for the H2 but would happily build one. So I took this info the the idiots at Towbin only to be told that going with an aluminum radiator would only get me 5 degrees of additional cooling. My response was "It's a start"...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kdio:
Fubar,
When I called Magnacharger and talked to their technical department, they offered to reprogram my computer. I gave them the list of all the additional modifications I did to my H2 and they programed it accordingly. I have put about 40,000 miles on my H2 with the supercharger installed, so they thought I might have an outdated programs. When the Magnacharger system first came out, I put it on.

It seems more and more H2 are starting to have over heating issues. When I was on the phone with Ron Davis Radiator, they said they have been receiving a lot of calls from H2 owners with similar problems. Magnacharger recommended that I call Ron Davis Radiator, and my overheating problems would go away.

So far with the new radiator installed the enging temperature is running cooler and the transmission is also running cooler. I am driving up to Lake Tahoe on Wednesday, this will be the test. I will let you know how it goes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 08-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Hummer Professional

Mine has the OE fan and the Air Conditioner has always frozen you out even on a day like today when it is 113 and climbing! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sitting still idling @ 113*+ your A/C freezes you out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes indeed it does!
Old 08-27-2005, 06:06 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I have been running a 160 t-stat for a long time. Got from LPE as at the time they were the only ones that had any last summer. Called Hypertech and they said no not till winter. KenP told Me about LPE. It has been 100 to 105 and no problems with cooling. It stays down around 180 most of the time with supercharger and without SC in winter and in summer. That is what t-stat does is level the temp. In far north i may think about closing off part of radiator for less cooling but, have not talked to anyone that has done it up north. In a stock situation you can have a problem with combustion because of cylinders being more different temp from front to rear but, in forced induction you do not have that problem as much, the cooler eveything is the less chance of detonation which could be the reverse problem in stock if to far north. But, can be handled like a trucker with simple block on radiator to warm it up some. Just ideas to help with different thoughts. Have no problem with winter as the dealer said it would be but, that is what the factory says and I showed them it was Ok as LPE said it would be Ok and now dealer tells anyone go for it and they will even install. T-stat is going to hold the water till it gets hot enough and the supercharger will run some cooler in winter but, normally it is going to run 200 to 230 tops in temp range Magnuson told me. Klaus or HGW may be able to shed more light on that though. KENP runs 160 degree that LPE installed with His total setup. Last I talked to HGW He said go with 160 so these guys are who have given most of the advice on forced induction along with Klaus so I would not worry to much. If You will notice Your rig will have alot more power in the winter with all that cool air coming in even the stock intake. It is even better with cooler temp. I can feel the difference in the Silverado as in the winter with all the after market perf. it will burn the tires more than in the summer and it has run 160 for well since new along with electric fan and perf. upgrades. H2 did the same thing during the winter before SC. I could feel a big difference in the pants with the power and the aftermarket perf. stuff on and no SC. Heat is the enemy of most all mechanical equip. lower it and stuff lasts longer. That is why We have tranny cooler and engine oil cooler up front to get rid of the heat.

Anyone even stock that will put on an OEM electric fan will wonder why Hummer does not do it from factory like the Escalade or I should say they are doing. Escalade kept having cooling problems with AC not working well and the shop fix was told to add the 2500 OEM electric fan and problem solved. i went in to my dealer and told it is normal and I know enough about AC to know it was not. So since i was doing the supercharger later I went ahead and did the fan change and t-stat change and loved it all before SC ever got put on it and that was last summer. Went back into dealer not long ago for something and the service manager noticed the change and mentioned to me that Escalade had to do that to solve AC. I did not say anything. AC was like night and day with the increased flow and radiator appreciated it allot as well since the condenser was running cooler and not dragging it's hot air through the radiator. Many things can be improved with few changes. I was thinking of adding a rear AC system but, I'm spending that money on more bling instead. Fan is a simple adjustment. Do not see much difference in cost. Assembly will take a little longer at factory. Oh well.

Phil I got a huge cresent and a big hammer and off it came with one whack. They are not on but by hand since they run in reverse they stay tight. I even on My Silverado had trouble with My flex-a-lite because of the poor controller setup until they finally redesigned it to work right that i greased MY manual fan so i could almost take it off by hand so I could put it back on when the flex-a-lite gave me trouble. I just had to bump it is all. did not remove electric just stuck mechanical on ran cool till I got home and had no clearance problem. Carried the mechanical under the rear seat for a year before i trusted the flex.

Also before You put money into the flex-a-lite which i run on My 99 Silverado and love it even with the probe stuck in the radiator, check the cost of the OEM from the mentioned website in post above. You will find the fan or it was when i bought mine was half the cost of flex-a-lite. I gave I think $200.00 for it. The harness from Nelson at the time still did not bring it up to just the cost of the flex fan. So You may want to check up on it. Usually like to run OEM if possible where it fits need. Dealer liked the idea of seeing the OEM and said it would not affect My warranty at all it is GM. Has been a while since I went through the cost so it could be different but, worth the look. If it got more popular the cost may have went up but, partsguy may be able to help there.
You off road You, add switch or You will be stranded after fording water. I think with the OEM You would not have a problem but, it is cheap and just good sense to be safe and not push one's luck. Cut it off for the water just remember to turn it on. I do not know how it could be done but, would think someone could put a timer in the system that alerted the driver to turn fan on after so many seconds or may have a minute. Could run a light or a buzzer. Thought it may be a good idea as Ken has mentioned to people to remember to turn it on like it is easy to forget.
Well know I threw a buck shot load of stuff out but, trying to help steer where I have the experience and seen the good and the bad.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 08-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Fubar I do as You suggested and I let the rig warm a little more than the other rig i drive.
Yet have also just jumped in it and took off being in a hurry not having time to wait. I would idle though if possible.

Fubar I ran last winter down to 10 degrees an many days. We always have a 2 week period in the winter or sometimes 2 or more where it will stay below freezing for weeks but, the nice thing is once it is over We shoot back to 40 which is where it seems to stay allot in the winter here.

If it ended up causing a problem which I do not think it would the t-stat is so easy to change You could do it yourself in 30 minutes to go to a hotter one in winter if You felt it needed it. But, seriously You could really cover part of Your radiator as i would think someone makes a nice looking canvas cover that you can ajust the amount of the radiator that gets air cooling. In fact an upholstery could probably make one with H2 on the front.

I really do not think You would have a problem.
If You did switch it out and take it to the dealer and ask what is going on.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

Fubar, My dealership has gone way beyond the call of duty. They are great. I had the radiator and gears installed by a speciality shop at the recomendation of the head mechanic at Hummer.
We don't get into the 120 degrees days but it can get to 110 degrees. I believe my trouble is a lean fuel mixture, which is being corrected by a new program that magnacharger has sent to me. I will let you know how it goes next time I drive up to Lake Tahoe.