H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Why did this happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopy
It appears the great paragon, has had a melt down, like a robot that can no longer compute....he is finished.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

my internet crashes for 3 hours tonight and i miss all this sillyness
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 12-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Hummer Veteran

Poopy is on a distinguished road

RIP Paragon, it was fun.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOCON1
my internet crashes for 3 hours tonight and i miss all this sillyness

It is some good sillyness. Poor Paragon takes it all seriously though, he better watch his ticker.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
RIP Paragon, it was fun.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
RIP Paragon, it was fun.
Quote:
front is a 91.5 dodge, rear is a chevy from something.....
Old 12-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
It is some good sillyness. Poor Paragon takes it all seriously though, he better watch his ticker.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

Dood! Are you ok!?? Too many meds tonight? What gives? Someone call 911 and send it to the richest guy in americas house or farm! Help!

Old 12-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Banned

finally driven me to sleep, poop is just .......too............ ****ing........... boring and ........lame....... to............. try.......... to...................... continue
Old 12-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2co-pilot
Oh noes! We should have gotten a Subaru.
I wouldn't recommend it. A friend of mine is a mechanic at the local Subaru dealership and when I considered purchasing one, he recommended I purchase a second one for spare parts. They have nine parked in the back that have been waiting for parts for the past two months.

I know two people with Subaru Outbacks and they both drive like idiots. One dropped his transmission after driving two kilometers in reverse at 60 km/h, and another needed a new engine after running the engine without oil changes and eventually running the engine without oil.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Hummer Professional

Where are the actual sensors located? Are they located inside the axle casing, or at the actual wheel assembly? I have had my ABS light come on twice when offroading, and of course, because traction control relies on these sensors, everything shuts down. So I guess the root of the problem is something flaking out with the sensors, whether it be for the reasons others have stated, like excessive wheel spin, or something else. I was just wondering where the sensors were, because I was wondering if it was possible to get gunk in between them that might cause a problem. I am experiencing problems with the ABS sensors on my car at the moment, due to a wire harness that is almost torn out. Until the replacement gets here, it tends to flake out a lot right around freezing, when I think snow and ice melt and moisture gets in there. When it is really warm, or really cold, it is never a problem.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Hummer Professional

I only have a basic knowledge of how the wheel sensors work, but enough that I suspected that they should be able to detect wheel direction as well. I spent a few minutes searching and found that there are a couple companies that make directional wheel sensors for automobile manufacturers. They are essentially a normal wheel sensor, but the magnets on the inside of the sensor are staggered with their north and south poles reversed. Then, the outside of the sensor has two magnets, and simple electronics calculate the wheel direction based on what pole is encountered first and by what magnet as it circles the hub.

I called AM General to inquire what model of wheel sensor they use in the H2 and if it is capable of detecting wheel direction. They are supposed to call me back today or tomorrow.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

sj-x 500 is on a distinguished road

the sensors are typically located at the hub, on the back side of the hub there will be a type of gold or silver colored ring pressed over the outside of the hub. the pickup is held in the housing on teh rear axle, or in the caliper bracket usually.

the hub rotates, and the "sensor" which is just a magnet, with some thin coper windings around it, picks up on the raising and collapsing magnetic feild, which induces the voltage in the wire, sending a pulse to the ecm along the wires.

do you have a link to how a directional sensor would work?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj-x 500
the sensors are typically located at the hub, on the back side of the hub there will be a type of gold or silver colored ring pressed over the outside of the hub. the pickup is held in the housing on teh rear axle, or in the caliper bracket usually.

the hub rotates, and the "sensor" which is just a magnet, with some thin coper windings around it, picks up on the raising and collapsing magnetic feild, which induces the voltage in the wire, sending a pulse to the ecm along the wires.

do you have a link to how a directional sensor would work?
I had bookmarked a web site when the discussion first started, but I cleared them out yesterday, when doing housecleaning.

I did find another web site though, but this one seems to utilize the Hall Effect, and is different from the one I first found. You can read it here, though.

I also found this web site, where it indicates that the upcoming (or at least upcoming when announced recently) 4Runner will also be able to detect wheel direction, though they are pretty vague on details, apart from the basics that we already know.

While thinking about it further, I can see how you might be able to more easily detect wheel direction with a magnetic system. What if around the ring, you had magnets of increasing strength, and the system could detect if the field was increasing gradually, then sharp dropoff, etc. or decreasing gradually, then sharp rise, etc.? I guess the problem there would be that because the field is translated to voltage in a normal system, increasing voltage means increasing speed. This system I'm proposing would see increasing voltage, just in normal wheel spin, even if the vehicle is not accelerating. Hmm. Maybe there is a way to compensate for that. Maybe two equally-strong magnets on opposite sides of the ring, and the system uses those as "checks." (It would need two sensors on opposite sides of the ring, too, to monitor.) Sorry if I am rambling, and if I am a bit vague. Sometimes I wish I had the intelligence to be an inventor.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Hummer Professional

I forgot to mention that when I first contacted AM General, they indicated to me that they were unable to tell me the model of the wheel sensor because it was proprietary information. Proprietary does not seem to be the right word, here. Regardless, they would not provide the model number to me. When I contacted them again, and simply asked whether or not the sensor was capable of detecting wheel direction, they did not get back to me. Either they do not know, they are waiting on an engineer, or I pissed them off.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Hummer Professional

Captain of the Titanic is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on guys...

We all know the utter superiority of the Subarus. The Subaru guys always get the good looking women, tame the toughest trails, and all-in-all are, as Poopy said, god-like.

Okay, that's enough... I can't keep a straight face anymore

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a Idiot... SUBARU!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2006 Twilight Maroon H2, Procomp 6001 rims, 35" X 12.5 X 17 Xterrain tires, Ram over-the-hood brush guard, Jet Stage I, Warn 9.5 winch and winch bumper, Hedman Headers, K&N Air charger, Lightforce driving lights, a little CHROME for good measure

2006 Victory Red H3 (The Titanic), R.I.P. - It didn't float

1968 Mustang GT convertible

2005 Harley Davidson Hertitage Softail, Stage I, Vance and Hines Big Shot Longs - Sold

2004 Jaguar S-Type (the wifemobile)
Old 12-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain of the Titanic
We all know the utter superiority of the Subarus. The Subaru guys always get the good looking women, tame the toughest trails, and all-in-all are, as Poopy said, god-like.

Okay, that's enough... I can't keep a straight face anymore

What a Idiot... SUBARU!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Apart from the issues expressed by my friend who works at the local Subaru dealership, I can see the Subaru being a vehicle that the average person might enjoy. If you stick to the highway, it is a nice vehicle, and the AWD would be a nice feature in the winter. But let's face it, most of us didn't buy a Hummer to keep it on the pavement. And for those who did, the reason was probably because the Hummer is "in your face." Heck, I like it for both reasons. But the Subaru is neither, and I think that is where a lot of the hostility comes from. If I simply wanted a vehicle to just drive to and from work each day, with the benefit of AWD, it would be something I could see myself driving, if not for my friend scaring me away from them. I guess I'm just saying they're not a horrible vehicle, just not something you can compare to a Hummer.