H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

Christa is off the scale

We're getting ready to remodel our detached garage and are trying to figure out what to use for flooring. My husband is starting to collect some old muscle cars as investments and wants a cool looking floor to put them on. (guy thing I guess! )
We've considered Race Deck flooring and acid etched cement. My husband would like to go with 2x2 black and white checker so some sort of tile would seem like the best option but, we're concerned with the maintenance and durability when you have old cars sitting on it. We like the look of Race Deck but are just not sure it will hold up well and I think the maintenance would be a nightmare!
Acid etching is cool and they can do alot of great design with it but The expense might not be justifiable. It's a 2000 sqft detached so need some cost efficient ideas. Does anyone have any ideas or photos I could look at or have experience with a floor that you might have?
69 Chevelle SS
Old 10-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Hummer Veteran

Christa is off the scale

We're getting ready to remodel our detached garage and are trying to figure out what to use for flooring. My husband is starting to collect some old muscle cars as investments and wants a cool looking floor to put them on. (guy thing I guess! )
We've considered Race Deck flooring and acid etched cement. My husband would like to go with 2x2 black and white checker so some sort of tile would seem like the best option but, we're concerned with the maintenance and durability when you have old cars sitting on it. We like the look of Race Deck but are just not sure it will hold up well and I think the maintenance would be a nightmare!
Acid etching is cool and they can do alot of great design with it but The expense might not be justifiable. It's a 2000 sqft detached so need some cost efficient ideas. Does anyone have any ideas or photos I could look at or have experience with a floor that you might have?
69 Chevelle SS
Old 10-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I used a 2-part epoxy from Sherwin Williams on mine. Its the same stuff they use in airport hangars, etc. It can withstand heavy forklift traffic so it's fine for a home garage.

http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/im/pharmaceutical/armo...0hs.asp?nav=Products

I'll see if I have a pic...
Old 10-22-2005, 03:30 AM
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon's Avatar
MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is offline
Hummer Professional

MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Racedeck flooring is what I use at car shows to help to present my vehicles. It's a great system and real easy to remove and put back together (but only at the ends). If you can imagine maintaining hard plastic, that's what's your doing. Have you gotten a sample of their products or seen how they hold up yet? In addition, I don't see what you would acid etch the cement since it's not a paint on system. Unless you're just wanting to clean up any oils from the cement.

Home Depot carries a Rustoleum epoxy garage floor paint. It's pretty easy to use and you don't have to go through the acid etching process. I laid it on new cement, so i don't know if it would be more beneficial. It has held up really well in our shop.

Have you considered stained then waxed flooring? Very classy in my opinion.

Will he be doing a lot of work on the cars or are these mostly/fully restored cars?
Old 10-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Christa:
Acid etching is cool and they can do alot of great design with it but The expense might not be justifiable. It's a 2000 sqft detached so need some cost efficient ideas. Does anyone have any ideas or photos I could look at or have experience with a floor that you might have? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christa,

Check this link out. There's some pretty cool ideas.

Garage Junkies
Old 10-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

I saw this on a garage/car show one time. Very easy to do and it seemed very durable. The kits come with the prep applications too.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Hummer Veteran

jgmachine is off the scale

Here you go.

Old 10-22-2005, 12:40 PM
mstams

Plastic bubble!!!
Old 10-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

not that you'd care, out of sight out of mind kind of thing, but doesn't dirt and other stuff (i.e small screws) fall threw the holes in the tiles? I like the look. do the tiles pop up easily in case something of value does fall into one of the holes? <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jgmachine:
Here you go.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-22-2005, 12:58 PM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h2co-pilot:
I saw this on a garage/car show one time. Very easy to do and it seemed very durable. The kits come with the prep applications too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That looks a lot like what we had done to our garage. Tough as nails and a very crisp look. Cleans easily with a mop or power washer. It may be easy to do but after watching the install, I'm glad the flooring contractor did it for us.

This is the best close-up picture I have.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

Christa is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MotorsportsAuthority aka Dragon:
Racedeck flooring is what I use at car shows to help to present my vehicles. It's a great system and real easy to remove and put back together (but only at the ends). If you can imagine maintaining hard plastic, that's what's your doing. Have you gotten a sample of their products or seen how they hold up yet? In addition, I don't see what you would acid etch the cement since it's not a paint on system. Unless you're just wanting to clean up any oils from the cement.

Home Depot carries a Rustoleum epoxy garage floor paint. It's pretty easy to use and you don't have to go through the acid etching process. I laid it on new cement, so i don't know if it would be more beneficial. It has held up really well in our shop.

Have you considered stained then waxed flooring? Very classy in my opinion.

Will he be doing a lot of work on the cars or are these mostly/fully restored cars? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Dragon, Thanks for the info! The cars will mostly be fully restored, I doubt he would be working on any engines in there. There may be interior or paint work to ber done, but that would be sent out. I kinda like the idea of stained flooring too, very pretty! The thing with the Race Deck is that we think it looks great, but neither of us like they way it feels and sounds to walk on otherwise I think we'd be all over it!
69 Chevelle SS
Old 10-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Rod, I didn't take you for a flipflop kinda guy.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:54 PM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
Rod, I didn't take you for a flipflop kinda guy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I thought the Care Bear Band-Aid was adequate camouflage.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

Christa is off the scale

CP thanks for the link. I like that look. Rodster you have this floor, how was it cost-wise? It looks like they can do patterns. I don't know if they can do B/W checkers but it looks pretty nice with a couple different perimeter trim colors. Thanks for the pics!!

JG, I LOVE the flames!! The husband would love that! On our Nascar sunday parties everyone would show up wearing flame shirts in the hopes that their team would be faster and they would win high score for the week. Now it's team shirts or BBall caps! Very nice garage, how is the maintenance? Would you do it again, any complaints? BTW, beautiful corvette...is it John Travoltas?
69 Chevelle SS
Old 10-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Hummer Deity

h2co-pilot is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
Rod, I didn't take you for a flipflop kinda guy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I thought the Care Bear Band-Aid was adequate camouflage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No kidding, I thought someone was missing a toe.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Hummer Professional

rocketw19 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had black and white tile (industrial high traffic) on my old garage floor it was easy to clean but every once in a while id get tire marks that would not come off. (motorcycle tires) looked like the picture above.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:02 PM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Christa:
Rodster you have this floor, how was it cost-wise? It looks like they can do patterns. I don't know if they can do B/W checkers but it looks pretty nice with a couple different perimeter trim colors. Thanks for the pics!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The garage floor was part of a larger flooring project so it's difficult to put an exact number on it. If I had to guess: 800sf for around $1,500. Not bad.

It would be easy enough to do a different color trim around the edge. Checkboard could be done but that's a much bigger job. The floor is first cleaned (etched, I think), then a base color goes down, then colored flakes are scattered, then clear coat. The checkerboard would take a whole lot of masking during the base coat and flakes stages.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Hummer Professional

Location: Killing Fields or Antenora...if u know where that is contact me NOW.
H3OwnerDiz is off the scale

SeanH3 posted this in the H3 area....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShaunH3:
Here's a little extra pic of the garage floor. About 7 rolls of tape, ALOT OF PATIENCE, and here's what you end up with:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boulder Grey H3
Old 10-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Banned

Dan Rather is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's some great floor ideas.
www.floordesigns.com
Old 10-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Hummer Professional

Location: Killing Fields or Antenora...if u know where that is contact me NOW.
H3OwnerDiz is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ShaunH3:
The paint has been on for 2 years now. That pic above was after I just finished. Here's another just as I was cleaning up:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boulder Grey H3