H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

PHATBOYPIMP is off the scale
Default Re: Slide out Mirror/Back-up Camera

Sorry fellas, I haven't been able to find my camera. I did have to drill the holes for my camera, 1 3/8" hole saw and 1" for the side holes (due to the strange angle of the camera mount). We ran the wires next to the frame rail on the drivers side and used the exiting OEM mounts along with the mounts integrated in the wire loom. When you get up to the firewall on my 06, the kit contained a perfect fit grommet with the wires already running through it. Once we had the wires through the firewall we ran the wire up the pilar and through the front of the head liner (didn't need to pull down the sun visor which is a pain) over to the mirror. Once we removed the old mirror and disconnected the plug, we simply added the new wires into the openings on the plug and that was it.

I apologize for the brief write up, I am slammed at work these days, let me know if you have any specific questions.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

Vark is on a distinguished road

nice, thanks! I am installing the DVD system now, camera is next.
Did you have to drill through the firewall? My kit has that grommet (round rubber) so is tehre a hole for it already? Could you pinpoint the location?
You don't have to take the visor off? do you still have to rip the carpet off the sealing, or can you just thread it right underneath?
Thanks,
Max
Old 08-03-2009, 11:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

PHATBOYPIMP is off the scale

There was an existing plug that I had to pop out in my firwall right above the steering column. It was the only one, it is hard to miss and is a perfect fit with the kit. After reading how difficult the visor is to remove (and we tried and were eventually successful) we realized we could just run it along the headliner. We just pulled it down from the window, as it is just a few wires wide. We did end up removing the console on the headliner with the lights etc.

I will tell you that the mirror itself had a different mounting hardware than the one that came stock with my H2. Although it stopped us from sliding it down on the window mount all the way, it actually helped with visibility. The LCD mirror is much bigger than stock. Since it sat up higher on the mount, it gave us more visibility under the mirror.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

Was that teh blue plg right above the steering wheel? I have soem wires going through it - did you just cut the plug around the wires and fit the new one right on top? I mean I could probably slit the plug with the kit and fit those wires inside it as well, it seems pretty rugid, unlike the stock one. So the insulated portion of the body harness is for running in the engine bay, I guess?
Also the mirror harness has a portion of it in some kind of gray sponge material, that is for under teh headliner?
Oh, one more question - how do you take that center thingy (with dome ligts and homelink) off - it has 2 screws, right by the homelink buttons and the rest are clips inside, or are there more screws?
Thanks
Max
Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

badss98 is on a distinguished road

no holes i recieved mine for 275. I drilled out my bumper and mounted camera no problem but was curious as to placement of support bar for harness and where the wires were placed along body and where they enter to body as i have not installed the rest yet.I am sure it is no big deal but i like to follow directions and have had to work so much so this is where i am .

2007 h3 base,rear dvd,tinted windows,leveling kit,silver with painted stock wheels,carbon fiber hoodvent and lettering, Daily driver
Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Hummer Veteran

Wanted to thank everyone for the replys , Our hummers are one bad ass machine and know we are an exclusive bunch of people who enjoy driving a unique vehical, Good hummen all

2007 h3 base,rear dvd,tinted windows,leveling kit,silver with painted stock wheels,carbon fiber hoodvent and lettering, Daily driver
Old 08-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

sorry for the gramatical errors in previous post

Old 08-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

I will be installing tomorrow, I'll post when I'm done.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

everything is done, working perfect, looking cooool!!!
I'll post a separate thread.