H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

joedirt is on a distinguished road
Default Do I have front end problems?

I have noticed that over the last couple months that my gas pedal is getting alot of road pop and that the steering column is moving a bit over bumps. Before I go further, I have an 2007 H3 Lux Adventure with 10K Miles. I took it into the dealer today for service, but my loaner H3 with 1500 miles on it is doing the same exact thing with the stock wheels and tires(I believe that it has the offroad package). I thought that it might have been my aftermarket 20's on the Nitto Terra Grappler's, I know now that it isn't. Could this be the bearing or coupler in the shaft? That might answer the sterring problem, but not the popping in the gas pedal.

Another problem that I had in the past was a clunking sound when traveling down the road. I thought originally that it was a bad lifter or valve, but the dealer ended up replacing my Transfer Case. They said that it seems to be common with the chain driven transfer case. It is still making a clunking sound, getting faster with speed. Is anyone else having this problem? I am starting to have my doubts with GM workmanship. If these problems are that common, the H3 needs to have a huge price drop. I will definitely fill out a bad report on the H3 for the JD Power survey. I do love my H3, but I hate taking it in for these problems that engineers should have solved.

Last edited by joedirt : 06-12-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I have front end problems?

Sorry, but what's road pop? I've never felt anything in the gas pedal on mine.

Maybe way off here, but does the steering column during bumps or dips in the road. A lot of people including me found their body mounts had problems from the factory. Some weren't torqued right and others were even crushed. That would explain a clunking sound and maybe the steering feedback.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

Well, I will definitely check the body mounts. What should they be torqued to? The pop feel seems to come after the car has been driven 30 miles or so...seems like there needs to be heat build-up in the engine compartment before it does its thing. The Dealership of course NPF'ed it saying that they drove it and nothing was wrong. My loaner was doing the same exact thing. I had to drive it about 30 miles before it started to do it also. The column will hop a bit and tranfer its motion to the pedal. I hurried and grabbed the tech and he was able to feel it in the loaner, but then they said they could not produce it on my car...big surprise.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:38 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedirt
Well, I will definitely check the body mounts. What should they be torqued to? The pop feel seems to come after the car has been driven 30 miles or so...seems like there needs to be heat build-up in the engine compartment before it does its thing. The Dealership of course NPF'ed it saying that they drove it and nothing was wrong. My loaner was doing the same exact thing. I had to drive it about 30 miles before it started to do it also. The column will hop a bit and tranfer its motion to the pedal. I hurried and grabbed the tech and he was able to feel it in the loaner, but then they said they could not produce it on my car...big surprise.

Turn up the monsoon and drive it till it breaks.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Hummer Novice

FISH5337 is on a distinguished road

MY '07 H3 is in the shop for a similar problem. The dealership heard a whinning in the t-case. looked at it said everything is ok but put new bearings in it anyway. The noise I was hearing was a bump or rattle in the front end, I could feel it in the pedals along with hearing it. As stupid as this sounds the only time I hear it is when the ambient temp is above 85. and on longer drives. the dealership finally heard that wensday think its in the steering linkage. awaiting to hear back from them know. my H3 only has 3700 miles all highway no offroad yet.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH5337
MY '07 H3 is in the shop for a similar problem. The dealership heard a whinning in the t-case. looked at it said everything is ok but put new bearings in it anyway. The noise I was hearing was a bump or rattle in the front end, I could feel it in the pedals along with hearing it. As stupid as this sounds the only time I hear it is when the ambient temp is above 85. and on longer drives. the dealership finally heard that wensday think its in the steering linkage. awaiting to hear back from them know. my H3 only has 3700 miles all highway no offroad yet.

That is what I told the Dealership, that it seems to only do it after the car has been driven for a little while. I am getting a rattle in the pedals and a shift in the steering wheel. They drove mine 19 miles and it did nothing, but when it is a hot day the problem seems to happen more quickly. My loaner 2007 H3 with 1500 miles was doing the same exact thing. I hurried up and grabbed a technician and showed him. He said that it feels like the intermediate shaft in the steering wheel. Dealer will not do anything to mine until it produces the same problem. I also had problems with a clunk clunk in the tranfer case. They replaced the transfer case, but I still hear the noise when driving. Keep us posted here because others have had similar issues.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Hummer Novice

FISH5337 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Do I have front end problems?

Spoke to dealership today. I'm getting the H3 back. But were not able to fix steering shaft. Its on a national back order. The tech says GM is redesigning it. They tell me there's no saftey concerns just and annoning noise. I asked how long until i see the parts? days, weeks, month could not tell me anything? how many H3 are on the road now? And they don't have parts instock. How are you making out have you heard the noise anymore?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:21 AM
Hummer Novice

HCUBE is on a distinguished road

Having the same problem here. Only have about 1800 miles and it to is making the same noise and can feel a poping in the gas pedal. Very frustrating since it is only a couple of weeks old. Hope to hear from someone soon about a fix or recall. Keep us posted.