H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

John D is off the scale
Default I need your comments On my H2 invention

Group
I have been away for a while, but in the past several have asked about a Hummer Snow Plow, I too wanted one.
I knew the H2 was a snow monster, but there were no snow plows that were easy on, easy off, that could allow a Hummer to move serious snow. Pull plows out there are great (I bought the best on the market to test before I designed my plow) going forward they work good, but at the end of a run you are stuck with a snow pile on the blade as they can't be backed or push without damage. Pull plows need to be very heavy to keep from floating unlike front plows which did in. This makes installing them awkard and hard to do. The pull plow require special wiring and cannot be transfered between trucks.
My answer a light Two-Way plow with power down. It has no special electric hookup required and it can move between trucks in minutes. Plan is it would come with its own storage cart that even a small person could use to hook up to any standard receiver hitch. Needed power would come form 7 prong plug or a portable battery pack. The complete plow will weight under 200 lbs, but will have over 500 lbs of contour following down force. Heavy down force will give good cleaning. Pulling and Pushing allows you to plow in two directions. Doing the two direction plowing is very easy, watch what the H2 does with this plow which was actually angled too far and caused Hummer to push sideways, but the Hummer H2 is a snow monster and rolled up 25 to 30 inch high snow rows, something not many commerical plows could do. This is a early prototype, new prototypes are being made. The plow is not for sale, but I would appreciate your comments. Please email jdshep1@yahoo.com
I am at a quandry on several issues:
Do I go low cost basic plow or high end with bells and whisles
Does the plow need power angleing (see movie unlike other plows you can leave plow in a single position and do a lot of work) Do I go painted steel of Stainless Steel? What price range would make a H2 plow interesting $1600-$2000-$3000 or more? What would you spend for a H2 plow knowing a good larger snow blower would cost $1200 or more
NOT a Sales Pitch, looking for comments.
John D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYMDxY5ZXDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZSugjIYflM
Old 04-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

cl998 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I need your comments On my H2 invention

Very cool, I could have used a few months ago!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Hummer Authority

SnakeH2 is on a distinguished road

Sales pitch to come...
Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

John D is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeH2
Sales pitch to come...
Thanks Snake H2
I would like to see someone pick this up and run with it and if they did someday you would see a sales pitch i expect, but for now i am just looking for your input. What do you think? Would you every want to put a snow plow on your Hummer? If so would you want cheap, basic, or higher end? Would you be thinking work tool or H2 high quality accessory?
All comments will be appreciated good and bad>
Thanks
John D
03 H2
05 H2 SUT
Old 04-04-2007, 06:07 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

According to Al Gore's Chicken Little predictions you should have built a sand sweeper instead.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks great and looks like fun at the same time! I would think you would need some pretty good lighting back there along with a few camera's to make sure you don't smack something going backwards! You must have this unit lifted off ground when travelling to and from a job site, where is the compression fluid resevoir? For power Does it hook up to the trailer hitch plug in? or do you have to run a seperate power conduit? (Sorry, you answered this already I just read too far ahead) I think your right on the money in relation to the down force weight, my only question is what do you have as a brace to help distribute the weight evenly throughout the back of the unit? As for price, I guess if you included a camera setup and lighting package you could easily have that sell for $3,000 plus. If you paint it use teflon based paints so the snow does not stick to the plow.

Happy Plowing!

Last edited by MDimitri : 04-04-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

too small of market. make it run on water and your in.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

John D is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDimitri
Looks great and looks like fun at the same time! I would think you would need some pretty good lighting back there along with a few camera's to make sure you don't smack something going backwards! You must have this unit lifted off ground when travelling to and from a job site, where is the compression fluid resevoir? For power Does it hook up to the trailer hitch plug in? or do you have to run a seperate power conduit? (Sorry, you answered this already I just read too far ahead) I think your right on the money in relation to the down force weight, my only question is what do you have as a brace to help distribute the weight evenly throughout the back of the unit? As for price, I guess if you included a camera setup and lighting package you could easily have that sell for $3,000 plus. If you paint it use teflon based paints so the snow does not stick to the plow.

Happy Plowing!

The current prototype (not the one in the movie) uses a ball screw to lift and lower the plow. This same ball screw allows the user to apply 500 pounds of added down force to the plow cutting edge. When this force is engaged the plow will follow contours plus or minus 6 inches. The plow has a release feature which will allow the whole plow to rotate 20 degrees if some kind of a surface is hooked with the cutting edge. This will happen in either direction, pushing or pulling. The prototype in the movie had added tail lights at each side on top of the plow. On the movie plow I used a battery pack that I set in the rear of the Hummer. There was a control on a cord that passed to the driver. It is and will be plug and play. The low electric demand of the ball screw would allow me to tap the 7 pin trailer plug for juice. It is slow, but could work as you really don't have to lift it all that often.
After a lot of testing I found the plow does not need to be turned or lifted as often as with a front mounted truck plow. The in process current prototype is a low cost unit that will have power lift and manual angle.
I am looking for a direction as this thing seems to so far out of the box the normal snow plow guys do not know what to do with it. We are looking at cheap down and dirty, and high end with Stainless Steel and a small hydralic power pack. All the current plows I am working on have a Poly mould board so sticking to the surface should not be an issue.
Thanks for the input, it would be great to hear more from Hummer and light truck and SUV owners.
John d
Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have a PLOW on my rig which hooks into the front trailer hitch. I looked at the rear mounted Plows before I bought mine but ended up with the front mount mainly because I wanted to see what was going on. I paid around $1600.00 any more than that and I would have bought an attachment for my John Deere Mower. I am glad I bought it! It?s a blast plowing out my friends and a back saver plowing out my driveways. Not to mention a lot warmer inside the rig than on the JD

Old 04-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

John D is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ H2
I have a PLOW on my rig which hooks into the front trailer hitch. I looked at the rear mounted Plows before I bought mine but ended up with the front mount mainly because I wanted to see what was going on. I paid around $1600.00 any more than that and I would have bought an attachment for my John Deere Mower. I am glad I bought it! It?s a blast plowing out my friends and a back saver plowing out my driveways. Not to mention a lot warmer inside the rig than on the JD
NJ H2
This plow can also be mounted up front if there is a receiver. We only tested in the rear because there are few trucks with front receivers.
I was wondering how well your present plow is holding up as a front mount? Have you used it in heavy snow? Have you ever hit anything at speed?
Thanks for the info
John d
Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have used it in about 8 inches of snow with no problem at all. It's a
Snowbear Flexblade so it's very light and easy to put on and take off. I have never hit anything with it and don't expect to since I'm only doing my Driveways and Freinds. It seems yours it much more HEAVY DUTY that the Flexblabe. Mine is meant for light duty i.e. your own driveway and not really made for Streets like yours is.