Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hummer Forums by Elcova (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   General H3 Discussion (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   aftermarket nav (http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32077)

TonyH3 01-12-2008 10:45 PM

aftermarket nav

anyone with aftermarket double din nav units please post me up some pics and what they are. pros, cons ect..

thanks in advance...

wpage 01-13-2008 03:12 AM

Re: aftermarket nav

Do a search and look at the write up F5 did on his AVIC Pioneer install. Its double Din and comprehensive..:popcorn:

TonyH3 01-13-2008 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpage
Do a search and look at the write up F5 did on his AVIC Pioneer install. Its double Din and comprehensive..:popcorn:

i did a search... was looking for more.

wpage 01-13-2008 01:40 PM

No pics but pros are integrated indash am/fm nav with optional back up cam, video and forums like the pioneer www.avic.com which is a user group similar to this.
Cons are The expensive interface's that are out there peripheral bout $100.00 so your GM features like Onstar will continue to work etc. The cost of the install on top of your cost of head unit. If you are technical and plan to do it yourself leave at least 1 full day of surprises and challenges. Then if you trade in you need to decide wether or not to pull it and put the old back in. There are s/w updates. Thieves looking for these $1000.00 units to rob...
They are cool gadgets though. If I were to choose again I would get one of the adjunt garmin unit and skip the agrivation:beerchug:

fourfourto 01-13-2008 04:11 PM

I had the eclipse avn30d installed jan 06.Two years no problems.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10554&page=2&highlight=eclipse+av n30d

wannabeH3 01-14-2008 08:06 PM

i got a pioneer avic z2 with xm nav traffic backup cam bluetoothand something else. i installed it myself. what stuff do you want to know?

TonyH3 01-14-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabeH3
i got a pioneer avic z2 with xm nav traffic backup cam bluetoothand something else. i installed it myself. what stuff do you want to know?

just looking for pics

MarK M 01-14-2008 08:30 PM

I got the AVIC D1 system. Really easy to install.

TonyH3 01-14-2008 08:34 PM

[quote=MarK M]I got the AVIC D1 system. Really easy to install. QUOTE]

cool.. i just ordered the AVIC-D3. can't wait to get it all in. i also ordered the metra axxess GMOS-01 wire harness. i hope that works easy too.. :dancingbanana:

wannabeH3 01-14-2008 08:54 PM

maybe ill snap a pic later. installation was a bitch

TonyH3 01-14-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

maybe ill snap a pic later. installation was a bitch

why ???

wannabeH3 01-14-2008 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a pic

wannabeH3 01-14-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyH3
why ???

ok you have to take off the left A-pillar molding to get at your reverse wire, then you have to tap into a wire behind your lower right kick plate for the speed sense wire, i had to run my mic wired thru the head liner to replace the mic that is for the onstarm there is about 50 million cables i had to splice and attatch. i did not use the GMOS connection as i ditched the onstar crap, so i used a 20 dollar harness that replaces the door chime. over all it took me about 2 weeks to get it all how i wanted. and i did a real ****ty job too :D but it works good tho

MarK M 01-14-2008 10:32 PM

[quote=TonyH3]
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarK M
I got the AVIC D1 system. Really easy to install. QUOTE]

cool.. i just ordered the AVIC-D3. can't wait to get it all in. i also ordered the metra axxess GMOS-01 wire harness. i hope that works easy too.. :dancingbanana:

dont forget to get the onstar adaptor unit. Otherwise your onstar wont work. :beerchug:

MarK M 01-14-2008 10:34 PM

there are a few pieces you need to remove. but, if your patient, the rewards are so worth it.

cheers,

dooks88 01-14-2008 10:57 PM

I just installed a Pioneer D3. Install wasnt that bad once you find the wires you need. But there was a huge rats nest of wires to stuff behind the dash.

wpage 01-15-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyH3
why ???

You'll see!

TonyH3 01-15-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpage
You'll see!

hahaa.. thanks for the help.. :soapbox:

TonyH3 01-23-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

ok you have to take off the left A-pillar molding to get at your reverse wire, then you have to tap into a wire behind your lower right kick plate for the speed sense wire, i had to run my mic wired thru the head liner to replace the mic that is for the onstarm there is about 50 million cables i had to splice and attatch. i did not use the GMOS connection as i ditched the onstar crap, so i used a 20 dollar harness that replaces the door chime. over all it took me about 2 weeks to get it all how i wanted. and i did a real ****ty job too :D but it works good tho

wow.. you did this the hard way. i used the Axxess harness and it hooked right up. after i made the connections of the 2 plugs just installed in like 10 min.. EASY.. LOVE IT..

wannabeH3 01-23-2008 12:42 AM

link me to this Axxess harness you used. also i had to install back up camera, bluetooth unit and mic, xm with nav traffic, ipod adapter and something else. it was definetly about 2 weeks of effing with it till it was perfect haha