H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

montanah3 is off the scale

Just curious if anyone has had any problem with window cracks/chips due to its upright design. I was a little concerned about getting my Hummer for this reason. Seems like in this part of the country we get more than our fair share of stones from dirt roads and items flying off the wheels of big rigs speeding down narrow highways. I am thinking about the the Scotchcal installed in certain areas. There is a certified installer near my Hummer dealer. Wouldn't it be nice to have something similiar for windshields.

Blue Slate, Lux, Off-Road, Brush Guard, Mud Guards all around --- Love my H3!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

montanah3 is off the scale

Just curious if anyone has had any problem with window cracks/chips due to its upright design. I was a little concerned about getting my Hummer for this reason. Seems like in this part of the country we get more than our fair share of stones from dirt roads and items flying off the wheels of big rigs speeding down narrow highways. I am thinking about the the Scotchcal installed in certain areas. There is a certified installer near my Hummer dealer. Wouldn't it be nice to have something similiar for windshields.

Blue Slate, Lux, Off-Road, Brush Guard, Mud Guards all around --- Love my H3!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

2nd day we drove ours we got a chip in the bottom of the windshield.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

I got one within the first month, and another little one since.

I am thinking about not even fixing it do to that it will probably happen again.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

entheos is off the scale

I haven't owned a vehicle with such an upright windshield before. Out West there may not be as many bugs as here in Michigan (summer of course). But I can't wait til I fill it up to wash the windshield. Splatters cover up the windshield very fast. Must be bugs enjoy committing suicide on a cool looking vehicle. I sure hope stones can't fly that high.

By the way, I almost learned the hardway that flying stones are an "Act of God" and you cannot hold the offending truck accountable. At least that's what the officer said here in Michigan.

Has anyone ever seen God flinging stones around through the air?... besides a tornado...
Old 08-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by entheos:
Has anyone ever seen God flinging stones around through the air?... besides a tornado... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

During hurricanes

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-18-2005, 04:02 PM

hyperion78 is off the scale

or when birds have them and drop them.... seriously one almost landed on me once while i was walking around one day
Old 08-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyperion78:
or when birds have them and drop them.... seriously one almost landed on me once while i was walking around one day </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the hell did you do to that bird to piss him off so much that he was trowing rocks at you

Old 08-18-2005, 04:56 PM

H3OH is off the scale

Well, I have found out that my H3 doesn't like Pringles or Ruffles. She's a Lay's kind person, with bar-b-que flavor. She's also pretty clean, and a good little SUV and says no to crack.

The rocks have to get up that high first. Then, they have to hit a narrow windshield. Much less surface area than my previous vehicles, so I'm hoping that it won't get hit.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

No more vertical in position than my Jeep Wrangler, and never replaced a windshield in it over the past few years.
As for bugs, well, going cross country I learned that at every fill up and at ever rest stop, the Windex and the scrub brush come out and the window gets cleaned. I'm just trying to figure out why the first bug to commit suicide has to hit right in my line of sight.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
I'm just trying to figure out why the first bug to commit suicide has to hit right in my line of sight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL

Isn't that the truth

Old 08-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

EricH3 is off the scale

After one month ownership...no problems thus far.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:19 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">By the way, I almost learned the hardway that flying stones are an "Act of God" and you cannot hold the offending truck accountable. At least that's what the officer said here in Michigan.

Has anyone ever seen God flinging stones around through the air?... besides a tornado... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's partly wrong. Yeah, with random flying stones you have no argument. Just happens. But, if the vehicle is negligent and that negligence causes stones to fly, then that's another story. My brother-in-law is an attorney, and he said he was driving behind a dump truck filled with gravel when the truck hit a bump and a bunch of gravel came off the top. Ended up really messing up his window. He got the plates and the name off of the truck. Called them right then and they said that there was nothing they could do about it. So he took them to small claims court, and argued that the construction vehicle needed to take precautions prior to entering the highway so as not to cause harm to other vehicles/people. He won, and the construction company paid for a new windshield. I had a similar incident happen to me, unfortunately, I failed to get the name or license number...so I still have a crack in my windshield.

'03 H2
Old 08-19-2005, 02:13 PM

firm is off the scale

I didn't realize there were so many dumptrucks around.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

TimJ is off the scale

I got my first stone chip a week ago and got it fixed yesterday. I had several stones hit prior to that with large bangs and no chip (thank god).

I live in the windsheild replacement capital of North America (second only to Denver) so I am used to regular windshield maintenance.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

TexasRTR78 is off the scale

I have had my H3 for a couple of weeks now and no chips until 3 days ago. Some jerk peeled out right in front of me from a red light and threw a piece of gravel up into my windsheild....UGH!!! I took it to GlassDoctor and they repaired it quick...owner told me of some new technology that he went to Colorado to learn about which is supposed to help keep chips from occuring around the edges of the windshield. He said that 85% of all cracks in windshields occur from chips that originate at some edge of the windshield. He said that is because the manufacturers make the strongest point toward the middle area to help in crash situations. This new stuff is similar to kevlar and has the potential to keep chips from ever occurring around the edge of the glass. It only takes about ten minutes to apply it and it costs about 175 bucks. Really considering getting it put on my H3!

PS...hit a bird going 70mph right at the top edge (driver side)...'bout crapped my pants but my windshield managed to stay in tact with no damage! Bird did not make it...but...maybe he was another assisted suicide attempt!?!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:49 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dochummer:
He's partly wrong. Yeah, with random flying stones you have no argument. Just happens. But, if the vehicle is negligent and that negligence causes stones to fly, then that's another story. My brother-in-law is an attorney, and he said he was driving behind a dump truck filled with gravel when the truck hit a bump and a bunch of gravel came off the top. Ended up really messing up his window. He got the plates and the name off of the truck. Called them right then and they said that there was nothing they could do about it. So he took them to small claims court, and argued that the construction vehicle needed to take precautions prior to entering the highway so as not to cause harm to other vehicles/people. He won, and the construction company paid for a new windshield. I had a similar incident happen to me, unfortunately, I failed to get the name or license number...so I still have a crack in my windshield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The doc is correct.

That applies here also. On top of that, if the truck does not have the required mud flaps and causes a stone to hit your windshield or causes an accident by generating dangerous water mist, the truck is 100% at fault.

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-29-2005, 01:55 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way, nice avatar Dennis

'03 H2