H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 10-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

GM has confirmed that there is a real possibility that the 2007 H3, will have a diesel option. Most likely, the same diesel used for the European market.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Hummer Guru

GM has confirmed that there is a real possibility that the 2007 H3, will have a diesel option. Most likely, the same diesel used for the European market.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

You just made a lot of peoples day fstop

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 10-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Hummer Guru

Remember, I did say, "real possibility." But it makes sense, if there is a US market for the diesel, and if they can get the supply, why not ship the diesels here and sell 'em.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

FStop - When does the 2006 model year stop and the 2007 model year begen for the H3? I'm looking to get my H3 in March/April. Would I bgetting a 2007 then?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:48 PM

canucksnaphook is off the scale

I WANT A DIESEL !! thanks for the update dude...you are a guy with your finger on the pulse !!

C.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ipedog:
FStop - When does the 2006 model year stop and the 2007 model year begen for the H3? I'm looking to get my H3 in March/April. Would I bgetting a 2007 then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know for sure but am guessing that production for the '07 would begin in June or July.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 10-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

I too would like to see the H3 come with either a diesel or an engine option such as a beefier V8.

I spoke with someone Sunday who is an engineer at the GM Fairfax Assembly plant in Kansas City and he said that the H3 will not have a diesel due to the demographics that the H3 is marketed to.

Either way, a diesel or a Hemi-like V8 would be worth it!

Bill
Old 10-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Model years can start production anytime between May through Sept ('06 vette ran through Sept of this year). As for the diesel, remember I did qualify this. However, this information not only comes from people I know, but it was on GM drive time, which is a video we can tap into. It is not secret if on GM drivetime.
And on this video, they stated that they are considering bringing the diesel to the states.
US demographics are quickly changing and GM will have to go with the flow.
As for a V8...I can't say, but be patient, but don't expect a Hemi. The Hummer is designed for off-road, and not for 0-60 times to and from the soccer field.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
Model years can start production anytime between May through Sept ('06 vette ran through Sept of this year). As for the diesel, remember I did qualify this. However, this information not only comes from people I know, but it was on GM drive time, which is a video we can tap into. It is not secret if on GM drivetime. Hell, I can forward the video to anyone I want.
And on this video, they stated that they are considering bringing the diesel to the states.
As for a V8...I can't say, but be patient, but don't expect a Hemi. The Hummer is designed for off-road, and not for 0-60 times to and from the soccer field. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realize that the H3 isn't going to set any speed records, but I am thinking more along the linesof heading up a 6% grade in the Colorado Rockies and not crawling along! I am by no means slamming the H3; it just would be nice to have with more power under the hood!

Bill
Old 10-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
Model years can start production anytime between May through Sept ('06 vette ran through Sept of this year). As for the diesel, remember I did qualify this. However, this information not only comes from people I know, but it was on GM drive time, which is a video we can tap into. It is not secret if on GM drivetime.
As for a V8...I can't say, but be patient, but don't expect a Hemi. The Hummer is designed for off-road, and not for 0-60 times to and from the soccer field. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you send me that video? I would be interested in seeing it.

I personally think the H3 is by far the best 4x4 out there. I was looking at the Jeep Commander, but upon further review, it is too dinky!

I currently drive a F250 diesel and am looking at future replacements.

Bill
Old 10-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

Not sure about the rest of the country but the diesell in this area is about 20 cents more than super unleaded. I don't get it.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3 Hummer:
Not sure about the rest of the country but the diesell in this area is about 20 cents more than super unleaded. I don't get it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! What a deal!! It is atleast $1 or $1.20 more than unleaded here in KCMO.

Bill
Old 10-25-2005, 11:37 PM

trebor is off the scale

I don't see how it could be that much higher anywhere.

Anyways the main reason to go diesel or turbo diesel is the fuel mileage over gas. I have a couple of crew cab pickups at work, identical options except one is 454 and one is 6.5 durmax.
Gas is 7.5 MPG and diesel is 12 MPG. Both have the same tow capacity and the mileage is loaded with trailer weighing about 8000#.

The other advantage is life expectancy, gas is about 250,000 miles diesel is about 450,000 miles. Both with proper maintenance. This is personal experience and by no means scientific.

Personally I will not buy the H3 with a diesel or V8 unless they get significatlly more MPG. I think the I5 has plenty of power and seems to be getting better the more it gets broke in.
H3-Boulder Gray, Ebony Leather, Lux Pkg, Off Road Pkg, Auto, Power Sunroof, Chrome Pkg, XM, Brush Guard, Trailer Pkg, Rocker Panel Protection, Removable Assist Steps, Painted Hard Tire Cover, Chrome Fuel Door
Other 4x4s:
1997 Wrangler
2003 Expedit
Old 10-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Hummer Professional

killian is off the scale

A friend of mine makes his own bio diesel and runs it in his Mercedes. He gets the same mileage as regular diesel and it sets him back about 89 - 99 cents a gallon.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:24 AM

canucksnaphook is off the scale

that is a huge part for getting a diesel Killian. I believe in the next few years (ie in the lifetime I will own a H3) that bio-diesel will become more mainstream and available. Now wouldnt that piss the left-tree huggers off? A Hummer that is actually good for the environment? lol. I cant wait !

C.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:00 PM

tacocat is off the scale

This is fantastic news. SO f5, would you trade up for a diesel?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by canucksnaphook:
that is a huge part for getting a diesel Killian. I believe in the next few years (ie in the lifetime I will own a H3) that bio-diesel will become more mainstream and available. Now wouldnt that piss the left-tree huggers off? A Hummer that is actually good for the environment? lol. I cant wait !
It would also piss off the arabs to that we woulden't need their oil!

C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

There are a surprising number of Biodiesel filling stations around western WA. The price is more along the lines of regular diesel (depends on how soybean crops are doing at the time), but it saves the hassle of brewing your own. Here's one: Tacoma Biodiesel
Old 10-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3 Hummer:
Not sure about the rest of the country but the diesell in this area is about 20 cents more than super unleaded. I don't get it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can get 30%-50% more mileage, paying 10% more per gallon for fuel makes sense as long as the diesel engine option cost doesn't eat up the fuel savings.

A good non-diesel example is the Prius, which is essentially a $12K Corolla with a $10K optional hybrid drivetrain. You've got to really pile up high miles to get that $10K back in gas savings.

Our H3 is my wife's daily driver, but she only drives 5000 miles a year, so gas mileage isn't a big deal.

I don't think a diesel will improve the H3's main (IMO) power deficiency of no reserve power/torque at highway speeds. Low end grunt isn't the issue; 50-70mph passing and grade-climbing is.