H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 10-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

I planned on taking out my H3 last night, so after 8 days of rain I thought a nice car wash was in order. When it came out, it looked awesome. The staff took 15 minutes drying it and armor alling the tires. So, I get in and took a trip to get gas. As an H3 owner, you know that your mirrors are VERY important. I looked at my Passenger mirror and didn't see it. I figured that perhaps it just folded in. I stopped at the gas station and to my surprise it was missing. The part that swivels was totally busted off. I immediately returned to the Car Wash and demanded to speak to the owner. He wasn't there, but I spoke to a manager who came out and looked at my H3. He then proceeded back into the Car Wash and returned with my passenger mirror - wire hanging out and all. He apologized and offered to pay for a new mirror.

What a mess... I'm hoping to have a new one put on tomorrow. 300 miles and now this. At least the truck will be "good as new" once it's fixed.

So, word to the wise, either avoid them alltogether or fold in your mirrors before going through. When I told this story to a friend, they mentioned a story about an Escalade that "jumped" the rails at a car wash resulting in scratches to the whole truck. With the H3's big wheels, I could see that happening as well.

For me, it's all self serve wash from here on out.
Black H3 | Lux package | Ebony | Aluminum Crossbows | Chrome Pack | Chrome Tube Steps | Sunroof | Billet Hood Handles | Billet Gas Cap | Rubber Mudder Mats | Mud Flaps | Chrome Mesh Lower Grille Insert | Stainless HUMMER letters | HUMMER Grille Letters | Roof Racks | Roof Marker Lamps | Chrome Door Sills
Old 10-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

I planned on taking out my H3 last night, so after 8 days of rain I thought a nice car wash was in order. When it came out, it looked awesome. The staff took 15 minutes drying it and armor alling the tires. So, I get in and took a trip to get gas. As an H3 owner, you know that your mirrors are VERY important. I looked at my Passenger mirror and didn't see it. I figured that perhaps it just folded in. I stopped at the gas station and to my surprise it was missing. The part that swivels was totally busted off. I immediately returned to the Car Wash and demanded to speak to the owner. He wasn't there, but I spoke to a manager who came out and looked at my H3. He then proceeded back into the Car Wash and returned with my passenger mirror - wire hanging out and all. He apologized and offered to pay for a new mirror.

What a mess... I'm hoping to have a new one put on tomorrow. 300 miles and now this. At least the truck will be "good as new" once it's fixed.

So, word to the wise, either avoid them alltogether or fold in your mirrors before going through. When I told this story to a friend, they mentioned a story about an Escalade that "jumped" the rails at a car wash resulting in scratches to the whole truck. With the H3's big wheels, I could see that happening as well.

For me, it's all self serve wash from here on out.
Black H3 | Lux package | Ebony | Aluminum Crossbows | Chrome Pack | Chrome Tube Steps | Sunroof | Billet Hood Handles | Billet Gas Cap | Rubber Mudder Mats | Mud Flaps | Chrome Mesh Lower Grille Insert | Stainless HUMMER letters | HUMMER Grille Letters | Roof Racks | Roof Marker Lamps | Chrome Door Sills
Old 10-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

Wow, that sucks. That had to be really strong. I mean it takes a little to just fold them. A lot more to break, and a lot, lot to completely break off including the wires. If the car/truck can fit in the driving grooves that should never happen.

Good thing they didn't give you a hard time about replacing it.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Hummer Professional

Efrain is off the scale

I always hand wash my car myself. And I do it very gently. Takes me close to three hours to wash and dry it though.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

I guess it wrapped around the mirror somehow and got caught. Thing was snapped off pretty good.

Thank god for Lynch Hummer. They stepped up bigtime to get me a mirror. Dealers in my area were out of stock and suggested I call next week. Much thanks to Doug over Lynch who searched, found one and expedited shipping. My dealer was also kind enough to fit me in tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Hummer Professional

2xtreme is off the scale

I hand wash mine unless it's freezing outside then I go to a touchless car wash.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

crotch_rocket_pilot is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 2xtreme:
I hand wash mine unless it's freezing outside then I go to a touchless car wash. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I do the touchless car wash thing too, I worry about swirls marks and scratches going through a regular car wash. My hummer dealership offers free car washes but I dont dont use it for that reason. On the plus side, I just went to Ziebart had had rustproofing and diamond gloss put on. The diamond gloss protects the paint and gives it a permanent shine, no need to wax from now on.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

Those do it yourself carport type car washers are good for winter i dont trust car washers,valet parking or car garages .In jume
I had to use garage in nyc on at fortum university and one in china town for nieces graduation one of them double dinged fender at seam on 04 murano they must have parked another car next to mine twice and slamed it both times .I know a ding guy poped them out 99% good

H3 gray aventure ,sunroof, steps ,roof rack ,smokers package ,window vents, sunroof visor, hard spare tire cover, h3 valve caps ,and mudflaps 2,600+ miles
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:45 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fourfourto:
Those do it yourself carport type car washers are good for winter i dont trust car washers,valet parking or car garages .In jume
I had to use garage in nyc on at fortum university and one in china town for nieces graduation one of them double dinged fender at seam on 04 murano they must have parked another car next to mine twice and slamed it both times .I know a ding guy poped them out 99% good

H3 gray aventure ,sunroof, steps ,roof rack ,smokers package ,window vents, sunroof visor, hard spare tire cover, h3 valve caps ,and mudflaps 2,600+ miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can someone please translate this in English with punctuation.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:10 PM

H3OH is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I looked at my Passenger mirror and didn't see it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't ask me why, but this made me snicker for a couple of minutes. I had a visual of you just looking over and not seeing a mirror. LOL!
Old 10-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

cmeinck is off the scale

To quote the Metallica song... Sad But True.

You know, I think I need a good Metallica mix on my iPod for the H3.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

TexasRTR78 is off the scale

Took mine through the wash the other day at the place I always go and when I went to get in I noticed that the radio antenna was missing....searched and searched for it then one of the guys finally came up and asked me what I was looking for....turns out someone broke it when they tried to take it off ...didnt get p!ssed off though, just ordered another one.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:02 AM

4ophenia is off the scale

So, recommendation is to go through car port type only? And/or do it yourself.

Repressed as a child, but no more ....
Old 10-21-2005, 05:33 AM
Hummer Authority

wannabeH3 is an unknown quantity at this point

holy crap man i can wash and dry that thing in 30 minutes.. wax it in another 30 too.... im not too worried about car washes.. i got so many scratches from brush on it already.... aw well better get maco!!!
Old 10-21-2005, 07:59 AM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

I always hand wash mine, takes about an hour. I use the MR. Clean system so I never have to dry it.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's my routine:

Above freezing - If possible I let the sheepskin mitt "bloom" in clean water for a while so it releases any sediment. 2 bucket wash, one soapy water, one clean. Dunk mitt in soapy water, wash a panel, rinse it in the clean, flip mitt, repeat. Dry with microfiber towels and Eagle-1 Wax-as-U-Dry.

Below freezing - If possible I let the sheepskin mitt "bloom" in clean water for a while so it releases any sediment. Go to the carport power washer. Fill up bucket with soapy water. Wash truck. Rinse. Freeze as$ off. Dry with microfiber towels and Eagle-1 Wax-as-U-Dry.

Lazy - touchless

Go out and drive it through the trees and mud. Repeat.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2005, 12:02 PM

firm is off the scale

I didn't know they folded in. I pushed on them a little, but figured it was for show. Any special way to push them in?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by firm:
I didn't know they folded in. I pushed on them a little, but figured it was for show. Any special way to push them in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, push them in.....lol
Old 10-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate car washes, but there are sometimes on the road when you have to let your baby go through all those whirling brushes. My H3 broke the car wash in Omaha this Sept. The whirling drum with those fingers of cloth wrapped around the front brush guard and pulled the drum out of its mounting and the line shut down.
It didn't bend the guard, and the car wash owner was nice about it.
SCORE H3 ONE CAR WASH ZERO
A tough machine~
Old 10-25-2005, 04:56 AM

gchurchill is off the scale

yea and never NEVER use a sponge mitt to wash your car. just the sheep skin mitt kind. the sponge actually sands off a microscopic layer of your paint everytime you use it.