H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-08-2006, 04:40 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Is it possible to change the female buckle portion of the safety belt in Hummer’s second row?

Let me explain, in the second row bench of our ’03 H2’s, the female buckles lay loose (no pun intended) on the seat cushion. This made it easy for the kids to reach down and buckle themselves in while seated in boosters. In fact, the middle seat had just a lap belt making it even easier.

In ’04, GM equipped the H2’s second row with a middle row shoulder belt and changed all the female buckles to a stiff molded unit (exactly like the one in our Yukon). Now with the boosters in, the kids have trouble getting the metal tongue into the female receptacle. Hence, we have to help them whereas with the '03's, they did it themselves.

Really, I’m not attempting to be funny and after a few beers tonight I’m having difficulty articulating this problem. Nevertheless, my question is...can the female buckle assembly of an ’04 be swapped out with that of an ’03? With 5 kids anything that allows the booster bunch to snap the buckles in themselves is worth exploration.

(See in the pic below the female buckle is tucked in and pointing up on the '05 H2? On the '03's the buckles are loose thereby making them easier to manipulate by little hands.)
Attached Images

2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 02-08-2006, 04:40 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Is it possible to change the female buckle portion of the safety belt in Hummer’s second row?

Let me explain, in the second row bench of our ’03 H2’s, the female buckles lay loose (no pun intended) on the seat cushion. This made it easy for the kids to reach down and buckle themselves in while seated in boosters. In fact, the middle seat had just a lap belt making it even easier.

In ’04, GM equipped the H2’s second row with a middle row shoulder belt and changed all the female buckles to a stiff molded unit (exactly like the one in our Yukon). Now with the boosters in, the kids have trouble getting the metal tongue into the female receptacle. Hence, we have to help them whereas with the '03's, they did it themselves.

Really, I’m not attempting to be funny and after a few beers tonight I’m having difficulty articulating this problem. Nevertheless, my question is...can the female buckle assembly of an ’04 be swapped out with that of an ’03? With 5 kids anything that allows the booster bunch to snap the buckles in themselves is worth exploration.

(See in the pic below the female buckle is tucked in and pointing up on the '05 H2? On the '03's the buckles are loose thereby making them easier to manipulate by little hands.)
Old 02-08-2006, 04:53 AM

rodster is off the scale

That is a problem! My daughters struggle with the same thing and for some odd reason the right side is more difficult than the left. I have to reach back and lift the left front corner of the right seat so the buckle has room to go in.

I hope someone has a solution ...
Old 02-08-2006, 05:08 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Kacy, if you want, we could do a straight swap of the interior seating and belts... I wouldn't mind having all black....

'03 H2
Old 02-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Hummer Guru

No, but seriously, how about a seatbelt extender for those people with large girth...? Just put one in each position...

'03 H2
Old 02-08-2006, 05:25 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dochummer:
No, but seriously, how about a seatbelt extender for those people with large girth...? Just put one in each position... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting idea. Wonder if they make them short enough so that both parts of the belt can still do their job?
Old 02-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dochummer:
No, but seriously, how about a seatbelt extender for those people with large girth...? Just put one in each position... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea Doc. I may look into that. Also, that interior is a generic pic I found on the net. My '04 is wheat as well. BTW - I'm in sunny San Diego now and it was 82 degrees today!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kacyk:

Great idea Doc. I may look into that. Also, that interior is a generic pic I found on the net. My '04 is wheat as well. BTW - I'm in sunny San Diego now and it was 82 degrees today! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yikes!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2006, 06:09 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kacyk:
Yikes! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy porker. That kid is large!

Got product info on the extender? That looks like it would do the trick.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:10 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by kacyk:
[quote]Originally posted by dochummer:

Great idea Doc. I found some information about that and apparently some manufacturers offer them at no cost as a safety concern. However, they are about $25.00 should they charge. For our rigs contact:

Chevrolet
Customer Service: 800-222-1020
Chevrolet Motor Division
Attn: Executive Correspondence
PO Box 7047 Troy, MI 48007-7047

or...

GMC In the United States: 800-762-2737
GMC Customer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 436008
Pontiao, MI 48343-6008
Mail Code 483-631-840
In Canada: 800-263-3777 or 1-905-644-6624
GM of Canada Customer Assistance
1908 Colone Sam
Oshawa, Ontario L1H 8P7,
Canada Mail Code 163-005

Just say you have a Tahoe or a Yukon the part is the same.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

YES. (I haven't verified interchangeability) but you can order just the female part of a seatbelt assy.

We have to order them for replacement when a car gets in a wreck many times. (as opposed to those cars that never get in a wreck... nevermind, too early for jokes)

Call up your local chevy dealer and ask them to order the female part of the seatbelt assy off of a Yukon or Suburban.

Mark
Old 02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Hummer Guru

[quote]Originally posted by kacyk:
[quote]Originally posted by dochummer:

Great idea Doc. I found some information about that and apparently some manufacturers offer them at no cost as a safety concern. However, they are about $25.00 should they charge. For our rigs contact:

Chevrolet
Customer Service: 800-222-1020
Chevrolet Motor Division
Attn: Executive Correspondence
PO Box 7047 Troy, MI 48007-7047

or...

GMC In the United States: 800-762-2737
GMC Customer Assistance Center
P.O. Box 436008
Pontiao, MI 48343-6008
Mail Code 483-631-840
In Canada: 800-263-3777 or 1-905-644-6624
GM of Canada Customer Assistance
1908 Colone Sam
Oshawa, Ontario L1H 8P7,
Canada Mail Code 163-005

Just say you have a Tahoe or a Yukon the part is the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good info Kacyk. That porker kid pic...looks like he's asking for a larger attachment...

'03 H2
Old 02-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrangeCrush:
YES. (I haven't verified interchangeability) but you can order just the female part of a seatbelt assy.

We have to order them for replacement when a car gets in a wreck many times. (as opposed to those cars that never get in a wreck... nevermind, too early for jokes)

Call up your local chevy dealer and ask them to order the female part of the seatbelt assy off of a Yukon or Suburban.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying that the female part on a yukon or suburban is longer than the H2? And that changing them will offer a longer connector? Or are you talking about the female extenders that kacyk found?

'03 H2
Old 02-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Doc, I called Bellevue Hummer today and they will give the extenders FREE! I just had to give them the VIN. Great suggestion, thanks!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrangeCrush:

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying that the female part on a yukon or suburban is longer than the H2? And that changing them will offer a longer connector? Or are you talking about the female extenders that kacyk found? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doc,

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't know if it's longer or will fit. All I do know is you CAN buy just the female part of the seatbelt for a Yukon or Suburban.
Sorry, haven't done any cross reference on the parts, just know they are available.

Mark
Old 02-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Hummer Guru

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying that the female part on a yukon or suburban is longer than the H2? And that changing them will offer a longer connector? Or are you talking about the female extenders that kacyk found? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doc,

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't know if it's longer or will fit. All I do know is you CAN buy just the female part of the seatbelt for a Yukon or Suburban.
Sorry, haven't done any cross reference on the parts, just know they are available.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they were longer, that would also take care of that problem...

'03 H2
Old 02-10-2006, 02:16 PM
Hummer Guru

Doc, I called Bellevue Hummer today and they will give the extenders FREE! I just had to give them the VIN. Great suggestion, thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great! I should pick up one the right rear passenger in 03.

'03 H2