H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

If any rig needs backup sensors, the H3 is it. There seem to be quite few available around $100. Can anyone offer experiences or recommendations?
Old 08-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

If any rig needs backup sensors, the H3 is it. There seem to be quite few available around $100. Can anyone offer experiences or recommendations?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

flkeysff is off the scale

I have looked into the backup sensors, there are quite a few on ebay for under $75.00. However my only experience with them was when I went to pick up my H3 and the dealer told me it wouldn't be ready for about 24 hrs so they gave me a loner which was a cadilac srx. I was backing the car up and hit my mailbox. The post was inbetween the sensors. Not very fond of them. I have also thought about mounting a rear camera with a visor mounted screen?
Old 08-30-2005, 08:41 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been working with a company that sells and installs these sensors via email; since they are in another state.
I have taken numerous measurements along the bumper, upper part/lower part, measured the distance of the tire out from the bumper, etc.

Biggest problem is with stick on or drilled in sensors, the tire will probably set of the sensors near the tire.
The license plate screws up the left side, since you should be about 8 inches from the edge of the bumper, or you might pick up objects that you will not hit when backing up.
It is getting frustrating as hell, it seems if the tire was not located where it is, it would be easy.
There are also truck type sensors, that hang down approximately 31mm that can attach to the bottom of the bumper. These would probably work, but I can just see them smashed on a rock in Utah.
As much as I hate the idea, a small wide angle camera, mounted just above the trailer hitch might be the answer. Just trying to figure out where to mount the small LCD monitor. Only thought about that is just to the right of the reviewe mirror (radar detector is mounted to the left side and I hard wired it into the sunroof power/ground circuits).
Old 08-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

Raydog is off the scale

Have you tried this setup? http://www.obstaclesensor.com/?OVRAW=back++up+sensors&O...ensor&OVMTC=standard

It's got a 3 inch screen integrated into a mirror. I was hoping someone else here would have used one before I buy one.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:06 PM

hummer dude is off the scale

be carefull with false reading due to your spare tire
Old 08-31-2005, 08:59 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Raydog:
Have you tried this setup? http://www.obstaclesensor.com/?OVRAW=back++up+sensors&O...ensor&OVMTC=standard

It's got a 3 inch screen integrated into a mirror. I was hoping someone else here would have used one before I buy one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have to replace the mirror, I believe. And I like the electrochromatic mirror with onstar.
That's why I was thinking of mounting a small screen (3-3.5 inch) just to the left of the mirror.
For the camera, thinking of a small one to mount just above the trailer hitch, or one of those trailer hitch mirrors.
Another less expensive option is a small bullhorn and an automated voice, that turns on in reverse and simply says; "Move your a**, I'm blind and I'm backing up."
Old 08-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Raydog is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have to replace the mirror, I believe. And I like the electrochromatic mirror with onstar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh... just thought about that. I've seen some that have an attachment screen that goes over the mirror on one side. Maybe that way I can keep the onstar, etc..
Old 08-31-2005, 10:39 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Raydog:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have to replace the mirror, I believe. And I like the electrochromatic mirror with onstar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh... just thought about that. I've seen some that have an attachment screen that goes over the mirror on one side. Maybe that way I can keep the onstar, etc.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you find that, I would love to see it.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:

Ahhh... just thought about that. I've seen some that have an attachment screen that goes over the mirror on one side. Maybe that way I can keep the onstar, etc.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you find that, I would love to see it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah... I haven't found those.. if you find them please let us know where...
Old 09-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

Black_H3 is off the scale

I totally agree with DWPC. Raydog please post when you find that.
I had my hummer tinted to Virginia state limit and now cant's even see out the back let alone see below the window so I would be extremely interested in sometype of back up sensor.

On another note anyone else feel like you should hear a beep or something when you lock your doors? I am always second guessing myself after I lock the doors. I am starting to train myself to watch the marker lights to see if the doors lock.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys
for the price and the labor to install backup sensors i would certainly install a backup camera instead. i dont have my h3 yet so i dont know how onstar is incorporated, but just call your local best buy and talk to the install guys....they have seen it all and know what to do.
im going to go with the eclipse nav/dvd....so a backup cam integrates very easily into that unit and may be a deciding factor if ur sitting on the fence abt a vid screen in your dash.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

psywzrd is off the scale

Black_H3:

You do know that you can program your H3's horn to honk when you lock (and unlock) your doors, right?
Old 09-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

Raydog is off the scale

Here you go guys...

http://www.obstaclesensor.com/?OVRAW=back++up+sensors&O...ensor&OVMTC=standard

Supposedly it clips on over your existing mirror... wish they had a real pic though.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

Raydog is off the scale

Here is another one...

http://www.obstaclesensor.com/?OVRAW=back++up+sensors&O...ensor&OVMTC=standard
Old 09-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Hummer Guru

Raydog:
I'm lost, all I see are the systems with replacement mirrors. But it is late, I'm beat due to long boring meetings and washing and applying to coats of Zaino to the white beast.

EVOMIND:
The ultrasonic sensors are easy to install yourself; I have done two installs for some woman I know who have soccer mom vans.
As for Best Buy, well to be totally honest, I would not let those dingle berries install a cigarette light element. I have fixed some of their hack jobs for friends. One was very interesting. They charged them for the GM adapter plug for the JVC unit. I took it out and they had spliced every wire with butt connectors, no adapter plug installed.
I do it myself, or it won't get done. Only thing I will not do is weld.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

Raydog is off the scale

Nice... My links don't seem to work. Yes, a link would be nice, but that would be toooo easy. But maybe this attachment located at the bottom will work. Never know

In any event, to get to it you follow this path within the site listed in prior post:

Home > Mobile & Home Electronics > Mobile & Portable Electronics & Video > Mobile Electronics Safety & Gadgets > Garage Opener, Compass, Temperature, Auto Dimming & LCD Rear View Mirrors
Attached Files
File Type: htm 4clrevimicol.htm (8.1 KB, 350 views)
Old 09-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind is an unknown quantity at this point

fstop,
i agree....i dont use best buy installers either, but i merely used them as an example..
i use the guys at tweeter, but i know tweeter isnt nationwide.
im sure any installer can answer a few general questions though regarding this stuff.
usually a decent car alarm installer is a good place for custom installs.
like anything else, when it comes down to having someone actually do the work, its always best to ask around...
Old 09-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Hummer Guru

Nice... My links don't seem to work. Yes, a link would be nice, but that would be toooo easy. But maybe this attachment located at the bottom will work. Never know

In any event, to get to it you follow this path within the site listed in prior post:

Home > Mobile & Home Electronics > Mobile & Portable Electronics & Video > Mobile Electronics Safety & Gadgets > Garage Opener, Compass, Temperature, Auto Dimming & LCD Rear View Mirrors </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting....