H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Hummer Novice

Glenn is off the scale

I figured out how to mount a CB antenna without drilling any holes.

I mounted the antenna to the roof rack track. Using a firestik Jeep wrangler mount with a couple of washers added to the underside mounting plate. Then a fold down antenna mount with a firestik k40 added. I ran the coax into the marker light wiring hole. The whole thing is lower than my roof rack cross bars, so I dont have to ever remove it. When I transmit, I get good range with the antenna down and great range with it up.
Attached Images

2006 H2, Pewter, Air Suspension, No bling, Pioneer AVIC-Z1 (BT, XM, IPOD), Corba 75wx-st CB, Valentine-one

2007 H3, Slate Blue, Luxury, Off-road suspension, No Bling, Garmin Quest2, Valentine-one.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Hummer Novice

Glenn is off the scale

I figured out how to mount a CB antenna without drilling any holes.

I mounted the antenna to the roof rack track. Using a firestik Jeep wrangler mount with a couple of washers added to the underside mounting plate. Then a fold down antenna mount with a firestik k40 added. I ran the coax into the marker light wiring hole. The whole thing is lower than my roof rack cross bars, so I dont have to ever remove it. When I transmit, I get good range with the antenna down and great range with it up.

2006 H2, Pewter, Air Suspension, No bling, Pioneer AVIC-Z1 (BT, XM, IPOD), Corba 75wx-st CB, Valentine-one

2007 H3, Slate Blue, Luxury, Off-road suspension, No Bling, Garmin Quest2, Valentine-one.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:24 AM
Hummer Novice

Glenn is off the scale

I then mounted the Cobra 75. I almost bought a Uniden CB to mount to the side of the tranny hump, but at the last minute decided on the Cobra. The Uniden had RF gain, with really helps with the weak signals. One of the posters on this forum, says that the Cobra 75WXst is a P.O.S. So I almost did not buy it. But the scanning, dual watch and weather was just too desirable.

I found that the Cobra actually does work GREAT. The Antenna and being sure that it is grounded is the critical part of getting a good transmission.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2003, 10:28 AM
Hummer Novice

Glenn is off the scale

The Cobra 75 mounting reqired a special mount. There is only one place in the world that you can get this material. In fact you can't even buy it. The only way you can get your hands on this is to have a pair of pants dry cleaned.

I removed the bolt securing the dash.
Made a large loop in the clothes hanger.
Positioned the loop behind the bolt hole.
Reinstalled the bolt.

It’s a secure and unobtrusive installation
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Hummer Novice

Glenn is off the scale

The Cobra 75 mounting reqired a special mount. There is only one place in the world that you can get this material. In fact you can't even buy it. The only way you can get your hands on this is to have a pair of pant dry cleaned.

I removed the bolt securing the dash.
Made a large loop in the clothes hanger.
Positioned the loop behind the bolt hole.
Reinstalled the bolt.

It’s a secure and unobtrusive installation

SIG/Sauer collector with Pewter LUX, Air suspension package, GPS, Cobra75wxst CB, UnidenBC245XLT, Valentine One.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2003, 11:14 PM
Hummer Novice

Glenn is off the scale

I was in a hurry so I bought everything from a local shop. But i did find everythign on-line.
I ran the coax into the marker light hole. I removed the corner molding and the grap bar to run it all behind the trim and under the dash. I think I could have done it without removeing the trim, but I thought it was better to run it behind the trim. A clothes hanger helps to get the wire run. Then you have to solder a PL-259 coax connector onto the wire. You can either use a folding or quick-disconnect adapter. I chose the folding. I cant find it on-line, but I will keep looking.

General info on mounting:
http://www.alfenterprises.com/MobileCBAntennas.html

Mount kit I used:
http://www.alfenterprises.com/jeep_w...der_mounts.htm

Antenna:
http://www.alfenterprises.com/firestik_antennas.htm

SIG/Sauer collector with Pewter LUX, Air suspension package, GPS, Cobra75wxst CB, UnidenBC245XLT, Valentine One.

Old 01-30-2003, 03:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

JohnnyBoy is off the scale

Anybody try the glass mount type antennas? I had one on my Grand Cherokee and it worked great! They look like a cel phone antenna.

==================================
03 Hummer H2 Adv./Lux. Pkgs. Sunset Orange W/Sunroof
Air Spring Susp. Pkg. + 3rd. row seat
http://www.haugens.com
CompuStar Auto Security/Remote Starter.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:46 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Glenn,

Sweet set-up! I love the antenna...very clean AND ready to fold down if/when you hit a tree or something that will have its way with your antenna!

My magnetic mounted antenna got whacked off (hehehe...I typed whacked-off) several times while offroading, and once it even fell off to the side and put a little dent in the door. I cried, but got over it. Still...that antenna set-up is sweet! Good work!
Old 01-30-2003, 10:05 AM
Hummer Novice

Glenn is off the scale

I used the crimp type mount. I did scrap and sand off some of the paint on the underside of the roof rack, until i got a perfect reading from my VOM (from the antenna mount to the chassis). I also scraped off some paint and rubber between the roof rack and the first mouting bolt on the rack. Don't know that I needed too, but the grounding of the mount is the most important part of the antenna.

I added the foldover mount on that, which I found at the CB shop. I did find it on line at:
http://www.palcoelectronics.com/p1003315.htm It is a 203EZ from Valor. I considered the firestik folding mount http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/dv90.htm but the Valor looked cleaner without the wingnut.

On the trail and around town i just leave it down and i get great reception, but only shorter trasnmit range. On the open highway, i'll put it up. So far I have not tested the actual range. But i have not yet asked for a channel 19 "i need me a radio check", without a solid "It's a working driver" reply. I need to get out of town to get some mile marker referances.

As far as glass mount:
I had one on my chevy dually when the kids were on the hores show circuit. I thought it worked great. But I was having doubts, so I got a roof top perminate antenna. I found out that the reception was the same. But the glass mount gave my about 20% of the transmit range of the roof top mount. I spent a lot of time hauling the goosneck with horses between Texas, oklahoma, Indiana, Kentucky, Wisconsin, Tennesse and Kansas to learn how differance there was in transmit range is on the open highway. Comments from firestik: http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/on-glass.htm comments from Alf: http://www.alfenterprises.com/MobileCBAntennas.html A glass mount can loose upto 3db (on the log scale). That is 1000 times less transmit power.

Old 02-08-2003, 12:50 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Glenn,
Great Setup!! Really looks nice!! I'll mount(huh huh, I said mount) mine the same way. Thanks.

"I smell varmint poontang."
Old 02-08-2003, 12:51 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry about the mount remark. The Devil made me say it.

"I smell varmint poontang."
Old 02-12-2003, 12:00 PM

oc192 is off the scale

Glen,

Thanks for the post great idea. I tried to use a glass-mount antenna with the same cobra radio you have and it worked like sh*t. I guess I have my weekend project now....

03 H2
02 Viper GTS
02 Z71 Suburban
98 Harley Davidson FLSTF
98 Harley Davidson FLSTF
Old 02-12-2003, 02:38 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

How about these?

http://www.redhummer.com/myhummer/antennas/index.html

---------------------------------
SUT on order - 17 months to go!
---------------------------------
Old 02-13-2003, 01:10 AM
Hummer Novice

Glenn is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Glenn, One last question, where did you take the power from for the CB? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I ran the power from the fuse block. If you want the CB to be on, just select a fuse that is on all the time, such as the 12v power outlet. I used the same fuse as the radio, so the power goes on and off.

You can twist the wire around one of the fuses in the block or you can buy a terminal to do it from the autoparts store.

the ground wire i ran to a screw on the chassis, under the dash.