H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

I remember reading about the ZERO OIL PRESSURE post from Jonahs so that was still fresh on my mind. Then 2 days ago, the minute I reached home I pulled up his post again – why? Because my 05 SUV with 10,600 miles just threw me a “OIL PRESSURE LOW” message with persistent chime, and it is now with the dealer.

2 days ago, I was stuck in L.A. traffic, suddenly I heard a couple of chimes and the low oil pressure message came up, then when I moved again, both warning disappeared but happened again several times in the next few minutes, all this time the engine sounded normal. Since I was in traffic, I called up my service writer, told him about it and as I am due for oil service fairly soon, I told him I would bring it in the following morning.

Didn’t think I was low on oil as I checked on the last fill-up coming home from Palm Springs the day before, but I pulled into a station & checked anyway. The level was fine. Then I pulled out and started driving, within the next few minutes (not even ½ mile later), I heard chattering sound coming from the engine, must be them lifters….. This time the warning sound and message wouldn’t go away. Pulled into a parking and called up the writer, at that point, I was about 5 miles from their location, he said to have it flatbed in instead of risking more damage, and that there will be a loaner when I get there. This was about 4:25pm. Called up On-Star & they switched me to road-side, gave all the info, waited, waited. Long story short, the darn tow service didn’t show up until 6:15pm, and this was after repeated calling, found out later they couldn’t finish the dispatch due to system problem. Should have used AAA on my dime

Got to the dealership 6:45 and no one was there, obviously no loaner was waiting either, The upside is that I ran into their Hummer master tech and he accepted the vehicle, turned the key and the engine turned over, simply said, “lifters are probably collapsed, but it’s good that it turned over”, then he said it could be a number of things but won’t know until they open her up.

Still waiting to hear back from them. BTW, the engine has no modification done, except for an Airaid Jr. kit.

Steve
Old 06-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

I remember reading about the ZERO OIL PRESSURE post from Jonahs so that was still fresh on my mind. Then 2 days ago, the minute I reached home I pulled up his post again – why? Because my 05 SUV with 10,600 miles just threw me a “OIL PRESSURE LOW” message with persistent chime, and it is now with the dealer.

2 days ago, I was stuck in L.A. traffic, suddenly I heard a couple of chimes and the low oil pressure message came up, then when I moved again, both warning disappeared but happened again several times in the next few minutes, all this time the engine sounded normal. Since I was in traffic, I called up my service writer, told him about it and as I am due for oil service fairly soon, I told him I would bring it in the following morning.

Didn’t think I was low on oil as I checked on the last fill-up coming home from Palm Springs the day before, but I pulled into a station & checked anyway. The level was fine. Then I pulled out and started driving, within the next few minutes (not even ½ mile later), I heard chattering sound coming from the engine, must be them lifters….. This time the warning sound and message wouldn’t go away. Pulled into a parking and called up the writer, at that point, I was about 5 miles from their location, he said to have it flatbed in instead of risking more damage, and that there will be a loaner when I get there. This was about 4:25pm. Called up On-Star & they switched me to road-side, gave all the info, waited, waited. Long story short, the darn tow service didn’t show up until 6:15pm, and this was after repeated calling, found out later they couldn’t finish the dispatch due to system problem. Should have used AAA on my dime

Got to the dealership 6:45 and no one was there, obviously no loaner was waiting either, The upside is that I ran into their Hummer master tech and he accepted the vehicle, turned the key and the engine turned over, simply said, “lifters are probably collapsed, but it’s good that it turned over”, then he said it could be a number of things but won’t know until they open her up.

Still waiting to hear back from them. BTW, the engine has no modification done, except for an Airaid Jr. kit.

Steve
Old 06-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

Probably going to be an oil pump. We've seen a few with the pressure relief valve sticking.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Hummertech,

Thanks for the info. Could you please tell me what are the things I might keep an eye on after the repair is done?

Steve
Old 06-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Hummer Professional

Oil Pressure.

No seriously, those engines are bulletproof. They'll probably replace the oil pump and everything will be fine. I'd only be concerned if they give you a line of we couldn't get it to act up so we didn't do ****.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hummertech:
Oil Pressure.

No seriously, those engines are bulletproof. They'll probably replace the oil pump and everything will be fine. I'd only be concerned if they give you a line of we couldn't get it to act up so we didn't do ****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the response and incredible remote diagnostic It was the pump, and they confirmed that there were no debris.

Thanks again for the confirmation.

Steve
Old 07-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

Battlebugs is off the scale

Nuts! Why do we love these dern things so much? I went to Lowe's this morning to load up for long-weekend projects...when I started the truck to go home...ding ding "Low Oil Pressure".

Plenty of oil on the dipstick, but I could hear the lifters beginning to click. On the bright side, Hummer Roadside Assistance had a flatbed there in 15 minutes flat. After a 1.5 hour ride to Bob Moore in OKC I'm back in another Deville..."Our techs have the rest of the 4th of July weekend off...we may be able to get to it on Tuesday"

I was planning a trip to the dealer anyway, intermittent AC and no auto volume on the radio.

All this at 28K?

Bugs
Old 07-01-2005, 08:08 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

Seems to be a rash but at least it appears to just be oil pumps/relief valves.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Battlebugs

Sucks when this happens!! Still not too bad in our cases as we experienced this while near stationary, and since it was caught early on, not much damage was done. I know components can fail at different intervals, but I have yet to come across an oil pump failure in my life, let alone at 10k or even 28k miles.

Steve
Old 07-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sclui56:
Battlebugs

Sucks when this happens!! Still not too bad in our cases as we experienced this while near stationary, and since it was caught early on, not much damage was done. I know components can fail at different intervals, but I have yet to come across an oil pump failure in my life, let alone at 10k or even 28k miles.

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup!...I have had several other new GMs...never had to take one back for work within the waranty period. Still...love the dern thing..
Old 07-02-2005, 12:43 AM
Hummer Expert

RasterMaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Bugs,

Your rig just doesn't get enough action! J/K Bummer on the oil pressure problem. Buzz me when you come in town again (see a forthcoming PM).
Old 07-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Battlebugs:
Nuts! Why do we love these dern things so much? I went to Lowe's this morning to load up for long-weekend projects...when I started the truck to go home...ding ding "Low Oil Pressure".

Plenty of oil on the dipstick, but I could hear the lifters beginning to click. On the bright side, Hummer Roadside Assistance had a flatbed there in 15 minutes flat. After a 1.5 hour ride to Bob Moore in OKC I'm back in another Deville..."Our techs have the rest of the 4th of July weekend off...we may be able to get to it on Tuesday"

I was planning a trip to the dealer anyway, intermittent AC and no auto volume on the radio.

All this at 28K?

Bugs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So - six days later I drive up early to get the truck back.

Apparently my Truck is possessed...they claim they could not determine what caused the low oil pressure. The warning was still chiming when they pulled it into the service bay, after changing the oil and filter - it cleared. "Maybe a loose connection..we tightend everything up..should be fine now" "At least if it happens again it'll be on your record"

Intermittent AC - Orifice tube installed backwards (that could hurt in other connotations ). Replaced tube and recharged AC.

No auto volume (I know, I know...I just thought that maybe after 2+ years Hummer might have this figured out ). Replaced Mic and Amp, called it good. Still does not function.

Also replaced a hood stop cable that I didn't even notice was broken.

Truck was dirtier than when it was towed in...no courtesy wash?

Bugs
Old 07-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Bugs, hope that was cleared for good. My oil pump was declared "failed", so it was replaced, essentially got a free oil service which is due in another 500 miles or so.

What really gets me is that everytime the tech removes my intake tube, the fittings are always messed up, the MAF sensor is twisted out, the clamps are all in different direction....
Old 07-08-2005, 11:07 PM
Hummer Expert

RasterMaster is an unknown quantity at this point

They didn't offer to wash after sitting in the "back 40" for almost a week? I am suprised at that.

Hope your mechanical "issues" got worked out!
Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Battlebugs:

All this at 28K?

Bugs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So - six days later I drive up early to get the truck back.

Apparently my Truck is possessed...they claim they could not determine what caused the low oil pressure. The warning was still chiming when they pulled it into the service bay, after changing the oil and filter - it cleared. "Maybe a loose connection..we tightend everything up..should be fine now" "At least if it happens again it'll be on your record"

Intermittent AC - Orifice tube installed backwards (that could hurt in other connotations ). Replaced tube and recharged AC.

No auto volume (I know, I know...I just thought that maybe after 2+ years Hummer might have this figured out ). Replaced Mic and Amp, called it good. Still does not function.

Also replaced a hood stop cable that I didn't even notice was broken.

Truck was dirtier than when it was towed in...no courtesy wash?

Sorry to hear your dealership sucks. How far away from Dallas are you. If you feel like making a trip and checking out Dallas for a day, we can fix your truck right.

Bugs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>