H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-21-2005, 06:55 PM

ChrisNJ is off the scale

Hi everyone,
Please somebody heeeeeelp.
I've been trying to find a solution to carry my kayak ever since I got my H2, two months ago, and neither Thule or Yakima racks would fit the Hummer roof bars. I guess I'll run into the same problem when I'll need sky racks.
Does anybody know what company makes roof racks that would fit the oversized Hummer roof bars? I thought the Hummmer will be the perfect car for carrying all sorts of outdoor equipment, and so far I can't believe that I can't carry anything with it! Even the hitch bike racks wouldn't feet because none of them would clear the rear-mounted tire.
Thank you,
Chris
Old 06-21-2005, 06:55 PM

ChrisNJ is off the scale

Hi everyone,
Please somebody heeeeeelp.
I've been trying to find a solution to carry my kayak ever since I got my H2, two months ago, and neither Thule or Yakima racks would fit the Hummer roof bars. I guess I'll run into the same problem when I'll need sky racks.
Does anybody know what company makes roof racks that would fit the oversized Hummer roof bars? I thought the Hummmer will be the perfect car for carrying all sorts of outdoor equipment, and so far I can't believe that I can't carry anything with it! Even the hitch bike racks wouldn't feet because none of them would clear the rear-mounted tire.
Thank you,
Chris
Old 06-21-2005, 09:35 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ChrisNJ:
Please somebody heeeeeelp... neither Thule or Yakima racks would fit the Hummer roof... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is ABSOUTELY INCORRECT!!! I have yakima racks attached to my roof channels. Yak' won't warranty them to try to force all H2 owners to buy their roof cargo rack (Load Warrior). Here is a URL and an excerpt from it.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/6706011751/m/943105...551039701#3551039701

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">You can use either the LP4 or LP5 (LP = Landing Pad) to connect to the H2 roof channel. The 5's have a wider elliptical base; the 4's are a little more rectangular. It's all just aesthetics. I recommend the 4's and 5's because they are the only 2 LP’s using 1 1/2" "nuts" (actually narrow plates with threaded holes in them). Do NOT use the black spacer washers because the bolts won't reach anywhere near the bottom of the track. In fact, you will need to “float” the nuts to get them up to the top of the channel in order for the included bolts to catch the nut’s threads. This is very easily done. (I used a wadded up plastic bag for this.) I called Yak' yesterday and they (again) said that they are working on a roof set-up for the H2 (yeah, having an '03 and being a ski patrolman, I'll probably need knee replacements before they come out with anything. And it would be so simple. All they need is an “inverted U” shaped nut. But I digress.

So with the LP’s on, you must add Control Towers and Crossbars, and you know the drill from there. I got the 78” crossbars and cut them down to 69 inches. You can use the stock 66” bars, but they don’t really leave any margin outside of the Control Towers and look a little funny to me.

Using this set-up, I can dump (rotate) my ski and bike mounts into the horizontal position. This makes them more aerodynamic (yeah, BIG gas savings), but more importantly, lets me pull into my garage. I already had to raise a soil pipe in the garage (commercial building), just to get the beast in with the factory crossbars attached. So I guess I should mention for anyone having similar overhead clearance issues, I used the Steelhead fork clamps, but removed the tray. There is no need to rotate the Steelheads. For the rear tire support, I used their Multimount, and I do rotate it downward. Likewise, the ski rack gets rotated downward.

If you want any more info, send an e-address. I hope this helps
</span>

If you don't mind some friendly advice (I see you are new), doing a little research homework before posting is often a good idea. There is a "Find" button on the top left of this page. Play with it some time and see what comes up.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Hummer Expert

Arizona Hummerboy is an unknown quantity at this point

You may try Surco Roof Basket, they will mount to the cross bars on the Hummer.

http://www.everythingsuv.com/surco_s...racks-esuv.asp

I think they may have a mounting for a Kayak
Old 06-22-2005, 02:11 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Gobi makes a roof rack and you can adapt ANY bike mount, ski rack, kayak, or anything else you could imagine up there.

Jason sells these racks on this site also.
If you are interested in more info about this setup, please let me know now.

Tim
Gobi Racks
Old 06-22-2005, 12:35 PM

ChrisNJ is off the scale

Thank you for all your answers, but I was interested to use the factory-mounted roof bars for a normal carrier by Yakima, or Thule.

I know there are solutions like installing baskets, new roof bars, etc., but I was hoping to use what I already paid for and get a simple kayak, ski, etc. carrier.

I still can't understand how my friends with Altima's, Taurus's and other small cars (not even SUVs) can just get a $100 Yakima kayak carrier, and me with the mother of all adventure cars can't do it.

The only positive answer to my inquiries was from maloneautoracks.com, whose mounting brackets would apparently fir the H2... but I won't believe it until I see it.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

My 4 place lockable bike rack fits my receiver even w/ the spare. I think it is made by Hollywood Racks.